Ode to Fiber One Bar

Options
124»

Replies

• jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    oh Before, Before, Before, What am I gonna do with you!

I LOVE me a Fiber One Bar, but thankfully, they don't do to me, what they do to you!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    NeeterSkeeter,

I'm just surprised because I've never heard of anyone having a digestive reaction to Splenda like that. It just seems ... unusual. But perhaps you are an unusual case! And who am I to say otherwise.

And just a word on websites that say any consumer product is evil. They're usually sponsored by the competition.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This was some kind of forum where people where regular people were sharing their experiences. Of course, they could just be "pretending" to be real people, or they could be paid by the competition LOL. But a lot of them sounded like what happened to me that night.

I did a quick search, since I don't remember what exactly I was reading way back then and now I'm kind of interested, and I found this:

Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, NutraSweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health
    by Dr. Joseph Mercola

Idaho Observer -- Splenda is Not Spledid: http://proliberty.com/observer/20031112.htm

"Splenda, Here We Go Again," by Dr. Janet Starr Hull, Alternative Health & Nutrition: http://www.janethull.com/newsletter/0704/splenda-here-we-go-again.php
    "Sucralose (Splenda®) is a chlorocarbon and is more accurately compared to ingesting tiny amounts of chlorinated pesticides. The chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. It should be no surprise then, that the testing of sucralose reveals it causes up to 40% shrinkage of the thymus: a gland that is the very foundation of our immune system. Sucralose also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys, calcification of the kidney, fertility issues in male rates, and gastrointestinal problems in pregnant rats. If you experience kidney pain, cramping, swelling, an irritated bladder, or blood in your urine after using sucralose in Splenda, stop use immediately."

And this is just a blog but it has a lot of comments of people complaining of problems they experienced after using Splenda. Of course they could all be undercover competitors but really they seem real and I could have written a similar comment:
    http://splendasickness.blogspot.com/2006/03/long-list-of-symptoms.html

Anyway, I'm not on an anti-Splenda campaign (although honestly I kind of was after that horrible night of vomiting and upset stomach and feeling like I was going to pass out constantly), and I would need to do more research instead of this preliminary Google search, but what I know for sure is this: some people can't handle certain food/ ingredients, and for me, Splenda is one of them (actually, it's the only food that has ever done this to me. I am usually not food-sensitive at all.)

I also know that when I told my boyfriend's parents what happened to me on Thanksgiving night (we had Thanksgiving with them and they ate the Splenda apple pie too, along with their Splenda-sweetened ice cream... they're the ones who recommended Splenda to me in the first place), they said, "Oh yeah, when we first started using Splenda it made us a little sick to our stomachs, and we could only use one packet in our coffee at first. But after we got used to it, it doesn't affect us like that. But it's because you put so much Splenda in the pie and you're not used to it like we are."

I was like what?! That would have been nice to know before I made/ ate the pie LOL. And who in their right mind would consume a substance that makes their stomach upset until they got used to it?! I'm not trying to put down my boyfriend's parents because they're awesome, but it just influenced my opinion of Splenda and made me think, I sure don't want to eat something that tore my stomach up so bad the first time and that made them have upset stomachs at first too!

So anyway that is my take on Splenda, but it's just my personal experience and anecdotes only go so far. I would really like to look into tests that have been done, when I get more time.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I can totally understand the sugar-free ice cream and candy causing these problems. A lot of products sweetened with Splenda are really sweetened with maltitol. And maltitol is a serious laxative. The only reason that isn't more obvious is that maltitol isn't a branded product with a lot of advertising spend behind it. No one's going to reach for that ice cream if it says "Sweetened with Maltitol!"

That's the only reason I was surprised that a HOMEMADE apple pie made with splenda would make you so sick. I'd never heard of people experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms from splenda alone. It's never made me feel at all sick. Maltitol on the other hand makes me violently ill. Sorbitol: mildly ill.

Sorry to hear you have this problem! But I'm happy that you have the good sense to rid it from your diet if you do associate it with discomfort. It's amazing to me how many people will continue to eat foods that give them gas and/or diarrhea just because they think it will help them to lose weight.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I just read this thread....

I hadn't even thought about fiber one bars doing that to me!....:blushing:

I don't eat them every day...but a few days ago, hubby kept asking over and over...."WHAT did you eat today!?" :sick:

I said, "Maybe it's the veggies? But I eat those everyday..." :indifferent:

:laugh:
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    searched "Fiber One" ... this came up... bringing it back a whopping 10 years later... respect.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    searched "Fiber One" ... this came up... bringing it back a whopping 10 years later... respect.

Wow, I didn't even know MFP was that old, lol.