I don't understand! 1200 calories a day and gaining weight!

Options

Replies

• Carolyn_T
    Options
    Its sugar free vimto I have - basically I guess syrup which you add water to.... x
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your foods, so you are not underestimateing? I have been doing this for 4+ years and I still weigh and measure. The naked eye is not reliable! I guarantee you under estimate.
  • Jmayhem69
    Options
    I normally have two slices of wholewheat toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and then some meat with roast veg for tea or an omelette. I may have a couple of bananas too. I do normally get my 5 a day, and occasionally go for processed foods but usually not.

Water - i cant stand it but am drinking 2 litres of cordial a day.

Thanks

stop stop stop stop the fruits and breads, eat nothing white (except cauliflower is ok)! Bananas are the worst thing you can eat if you are trying to lose weight. Fructose is sugar and bananas carry it heavy! eat more veggies and sub fat free wheat tortillas when you NEED bread. otherwise put your sandwich on a plate without bread. Never drink fruit juice. sleep 6-7 hours per day or less....drink water IMMEDIATELY after waking and eat a high protein breakfast within 30 minutes.

then finally, take one day off (per week) and cheat like it's your job! eat whatever and however much you want all day!!

Follow this for 2 weeks and thank me.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting and and bad advice in this thread. I don't want to appear negative, but there are honestly too many bad suggestions for me to address them all.

OP, please start logging your food on this site and make sure you are measuring/weighing your portions. Only then will ANYONE here be able to help.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I normally have two slices of wholewheat toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and then some meat with roast veg for tea or an omelette. I may have a couple of bananas too. I do normally get my 5 a day, and occasionally go for processed foods but usually not.

Thanks

stop stop stop stop the fruits and breads, eat nothing white (except cauliflower is ok)! Bananas are the worst thing you can eat if you are trying to lose weight. Fructose is sugar and bananas carry it heavy! eat more veggies and sub fat free wheat tortillas when you NEED bread. otherwise put your sandwich on a plate without bread. Never drink fruit juice. sleep 6-7 hours per day or less....drink water IMMEDIATELY after waking and eat a high protein breakfast within 30 minutes.

then finally, take one day off and cheat like it's your job! eat whatever and however much you want all day!!

I eat tons of fruit and bread,i think my ticker speaks for itself
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Thanks

then finally, take one day off and cheat like it's your job! eat whatever and however much you want all day!!

The above is about as bad as advice can be(full of ludicrous bro-science). :drinker:
    I eat at LEAST one banana pretty much EVERY day.
  • Jmayhem69
    Options
    Its sugar free vimto I have - basically I guess syrup which you add water to.... x

BEWARE anything that says sugar-free! as the chemical reaction insulin surge it causes in your body is worse than the actual natual sugars would be!!!!
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of conflicting and and bad advice in this thread. I don't want to appear negative, but there are honestly too many bad suggestions for me to address them all.

OP, please start logging your food on this site and make sure you are measuring/weighing your portions. Only then will ANYONE here be able to help.

I completely agree! How do you know that you are eating 1200 calories a day? You do not log your food intake. :noway: :noway: What you logged today has a sodium intake that is probably through the roof. Sorry . . . .I'm not trying to be rude just trying to be honest. You need to set your diary up so you know exactly what you are eating through out the day. Count your Carb's, Protein, and Sodium. If you are prone to being diabetic then count your sugar as well. If you exercise add this to your diary and eat your exercise calories back.

No one can help you if you do not give us accurate information.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Flipped back several days and the only day filled in is today. My first suspicion is that you are not estimating your intake accurately.

There are a lot of people on MFP and other weight loss sites who truly believe in logging calories to help with their weight-loss goals. When you complain about not losing weight, the first thing we're going to want to do is look at your diary, because from experience, we know people who aren't logging have a hard time losing. If you want to lose weight, log everything you put in your mouth.

I have a food scale, because I want to make sure I'm eating the right portion size. I count out my nuts, chips, and other items like that because I don't want to overeat. I exercise. I lose because I won't let my mind play tricks on me, by thinking it knows what 1,200 calories looks like without logging it. I eat more than that, but you understand what I'm saying. Log your foods if you're serious about losing.
  • Jmayhem69
    Options

Thanks

The above is about as bad as advice can be(full of ludicrous bro-science). :drinker:

sorry to hear you think that, this information is directly from the best selling book by Tim Ferriss '4 hour Body"
    here's what happened to his bloodwork after one week of OJ and a banana for breakfast:
    Before (10/16, no fructose) and after (10/23, orange juice and banana):
    Cholesterol: 203 → 243 (out of “healthy” range)
    LDL: 127 → 165 (also out of range)
    There were two other values that shot up unexpectedly:
    Albumin: 4.3 → 4.9 (out of range)
    Iron: 71 → 191 (!) (out of range aka into the stratosphere)
    Albumin binds to testosterone and renders it inert, much like SHBG (discussed in “Sex
    Machine”) but weaker. I don’t want either to be out-of-range high. Bad for the manly arts.

I doubt you are taking blood tests to support your information. but thanks anyway "Bro"
  • hdhbam
    hdhbam Posts: 40
    Options

Thanks

Very impressive! You fit a TON of myths in to very little space! You deserve a...uhhh....well....I was going to say banana, but those are out. You deserve a nice tall glass of water!! :flowerforyou:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Thanks

sorry to hear you think that, this information is directly from the best selling book by Tim Ferriss '4 hour Body"
    here's what happened to his bloodwork after one week of OJ and a banana for breakfast:
    Albumin binds to testosterone and renders it inert, much like SHBG (discussed in “Sex
    Machine”) but weaker. I don’t want either to be out-of-range high. Bad for the manly arts.

I doubt you are taking blood tests to support your information. but thanks anyway "Bro"

i can see it's working for you
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

BEWARE anything that says sugar-free! as the chemical reaction insulin surge it causes in your body is worse than the actual natual sugars would be!!!!

BEWARE of anything this guy posts.
  • potwin
    Options
    I eat around 1050 calories to maintain my current weight. After having 2 kids, my metabolism took a nose-dive. 1200 calories may not seem like a lot (and when you're trying to lose weight it can be tough digging below that amount) but trust me, some people need to eat less to lose weight. Just eat healthy foods.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the worst thing you can eat if you are trying to lose weight.

And yet I eat one every day. :noway:

Seriously, OP. You've gotten some very good advice here. But please do continue to eat fruit.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Pretty obvious really...

I'm trying to lose weight quickly, so for teh last 3 months Ive been on 1200 calories a day... but just seem to be averaging weight. Either that or some days I seem to suddenly gain a few inches and my trousers are tight.

I know I should probably up the calorie consumption - buut if I'm gaining weight at 1200, I'm a little scared to do that in case I majorly balloon.

Any tips? Advice? I do exercise too!

HELP!

Thanks in advance lovelies x
    Some people tend to be more pear-shaped, while others are more apple-shaped. Your profile pic indicates you are more potato-shaped.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but I strongly suggest getting a good digital scale and if you are exercising, a decent heart rate monitor (HRM). These two tools, combined with regularly and accurately logging everything in MFP, will - AT THE VERY LEAST - put you in a position to receive insightful feedback from the community.

Without more information, you're getting well-meaning (but misinformed) opinions on "what's best." There are no magic shortcuts or secrets. There are people on here who can help you. Provide some more data, more context. They will help you. Any advice you get you should confirm yourself - with research, your doctor/nutritionist, etc.

Here is a good source of MFP info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • Jmayhem69
    Options

BEWARE of anything this guy posts.

Why the hate? It IS working for me! I eat tons and drink beer and have gone from 299 to 286 in a month without EVER being hungry! I was given the book 4 hour Body by my trainer at 24hr fitness and it works~! I agree with most advice given in addition to my own. Is this the type of community I can expect on MFP? if so I'll just crawl under my rock and keep my program in check. Sorry to have tried to help another struggling person.
    ps- there's nothing in fruit you can't get elsewhere without the sugars! and avacado is a great sub for bananas if you need potassium. I challenge you to disagree.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Thanks

Were these blood tests done after fasting or right after this person drank OJ and ate bananas?

Also, Tim Ferriss is a bit of a fraud, imo. He has a degree in East Asian Studies, and all he really does is invest in a lot of big companies. He’s out to make money. The diet industry is a good business to get into.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I'll just say it once: If what you were doing were working, then you wouldn't be asking for help. Buck up. Log your food according to what MFP set for you.
    People who "have it down" don't need advice on weight loss. You don't appear to have it down yet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jmayhem69
    Options
    Bananas are the worst thing you can eat if you are trying to lose weight.

And yet I eat one every day. :noway:

Seriously, OP. You've gotten some very good advice here. But please do continue to eat fruit.

It took you a year to lose 29 lbs! I am not saying it's impossible to lose weight after eating a daily banana but results will be impeded. Ok, I see gang up on the new guy....nice!