I don't understand! 1200 calories a day and gaining weight!

Options

Replies

• inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    sleep 6-7 hours per day or less

WTF? This is really, really stupid advice. No offense.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I disagree that "sugar is sugar" as some are saying. Natural sugars in things like fruit will be much more useful to you and your body than processed sugar. There is only a certain amount and certain type of sugar that your cells can use, so once they've picked out the minuscule amount of actual natural sugar from any processed foods, the rest is stored as fat. The reason people are told to "eat clean" (fresh fruit and veg, lean meat, etc.) is because there aren't (or shouldn't be) any unnatural additives, colors, sugars, etc. that can be stored as 'energy', aka fat. So while, yes, bananas are quite high in sugar, it's better to opt for a banana than say, a piece of cake.

Not that I'm preaching, 'cause Lord knows I love my bread and ice cream! :laugh: just up your intake, and carbs are perfectly fine in moderation. I wouldn't do 5 pieces a day, but that's just me. And remember that what works for one may not work for another. :)

The sugar is used as energy regardless if it is from cake or a banana. "unnatural sugar" is not stored as fat in a calorie deficit.
    Blah not worth typing. You need to check your facts though. A lot of this is not true

I suppose I could have phrased that better. First, it is absolutely true, I could show you in my textbook if you'd like. Anyway, obviously sugar is stored the same, but with a lot of 'fake' sweeteners, there are additives that your body can't use either at the moment, or isn't necessary, so it gets stored as fat. So yes, technically sugar is sugar, but the additives in that sweetener matter.
  • Cathleenr
    Options

lol its in a book he is pushing. oh and to eat 2 eggs "immediately" upon rising.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Stop eating fruit, carbs, sugar, fructose, fat, fiber, white foods, starches, green foods, artificial flavors, artificial coloring, artificial sweeteners, GMOs, brown foods, vegetables, red foods, protein, and labeled "fat free" or "all natural" and you'll be fine. Oh, and eggs. NEVER EAT EGGS!!!!
    Lol, what's left?
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat. But then I found out my maintenance calories is only 1600. So there isn't a big gap between the two. So I realised the picking here and there ( a taste off my daughters plate, a bite of her toast) was probably adding up to 2-300 calories and I wasn't on 1200 calories at all!
    Now I'm leaving a big buffer on the diary it looks as if I am eating way under but that way the mistakes I know I'll make I can make. And I started 30DS which is a totally different workout from the gym.
    now I'm losing again, well not so much losing as gaining loads of muscle and toning up. I eat very clean and simple as well.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Stop eating fruit, carbs, sugar, fructose, fat, fiber, white foods, starches, green foods, artificial flavors, artificial coloring, artificial sweeteners, GMOs, brown foods, vegetables, red foods, protein, and labeled "fat free" or "all natural" and you'll be fine. Oh, and eggs. NEVER EAT EGGS!!!!
    Lol, what's left?

Air. But only clean air. You gotta eat clean.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I normally have two slices of wholewheat toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and then some meat with roast veg for tea or an omelette. I may have a couple of bananas too. I do normally get my 5 a day, and occasionally go for processed foods but usually not.

Water - i cant stand it but am drinking 2 litres of cordial a day.

Thanks

stop stop stop stop the fruits and breads, eat nothing white (except cauliflower is ok)! Bananas are the worst thing you can eat if you are trying to lose weight. Fructose is sugar and bananas carry it heavy! eat more veggies and sub fat free wheat tortillas when you NEED bread. otherwise put your sandwich on a plate without bread. Never drink fruit juice. sleep 6-7 hours per day or less....drink water IMMEDIATELY after waking and eat a high protein breakfast within 30 minutes.

then finally, take one day off (per week) and cheat like it's your job! eat whatever and however much you want all day!!

Follow this for 2 weeks and thank me.

Interesting. I ate bananas (and lots of other fruit) and bread daily and dropped 1.8 pounds a week, average. Three sizes in three months, 36 pounds total when it was all said and done.

I guess I'm an anomole.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Bananas are the worst thing you can eat if you are trying to lose weight.

And yet I eat one every day. :noway:

Seriously, OP. You've gotten some very good advice here. But please do continue to eat fruit.

It took you a year to lose 29 lbs! I am not saying it's impossible to lose weight after eating a daily banana but results will be impeded. Ok, I see gang up on the new guy....nice!

I eat a banana every day as well - there's NOTHING wrong with it unless you have diabetic issues. It's GOOD sugar, not processed sugar. Plus, it's high in potassium which helps your muscles recover.

So bananas aren't in your diet, fine. But don't be hating on other people who eat them.

Not to mention they're a great source of potassium.

If someone took a year to loose 29 pounds, it wasn't because he or she ate a banana every day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

there are additives that your body can't use either at the moment, or isn't necessary, so it gets stored as fat. So yes, technically sugar is sugar, but the additives in that sweetener matter.

I am interested in this. I am not trying to put you on the spot but since you offered, can you please name any artificial sweetener or additive that gets stored as fat while in a caloric deficit, and provide your source.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    can you please name any artificial sweetener or additive that gets stored as fat while in a caloric deficit, and provide your source.

Doh!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I disagree that "sugar is sugar" as some are saying. Natural sugars in things like fruit will be much more useful to you and your body than processed sugar. There is only a certain amount and certain type of sugar that your cells can use, so once they've picked out the minuscule amount of actual natural sugar from any processed foods, the rest is stored as fat. The reason people are told to "eat clean" (fresh fruit and veg, lean meat, etc.) is because there aren't (or shouldn't be) any unnatural additives, colors, sugars, etc. that can be stored as 'energy', aka fat. So while, yes, bananas are quite high in sugar, it's better to opt for a banana than say, a piece of cake.

Not that I'm preaching, 'cause Lord knows I love my bread and ice cream! :laugh: just up your intake, and carbs are perfectly fine in moderation. I wouldn't do 5 pieces a day, but that's just me. And remember that what works for one may not work for another. :)

The sugar is used as energy regardless if it is from cake or a banana. "unnatural sugar" is not stored as fat in a calorie deficit.
    Blah not worth typing. You need to check your facts though. A lot of this is not true

I suppose I could have phrased that better. First, it is absolutely true, I could show you in my textbook if you'd like. Anyway, obviously sugar is stored the same, but with a lot of 'fake' sweeteners, there are additives that your body can't use either at the moment, or isn't necessary, so it gets stored as fat. So yes, technically sugar is sugar, but the additives in that sweetener matter.

I can show you my textbooks as well. Junior in dietetics so i can find good info too :]
    Not really sure how the additives will be stored while in a calorie deficit
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    How come monkeys aren't fat? :laugh:
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How come monkeys aren't fat? :laugh:

because they log their food accurately on MFP
  • boopiejones
    Options
    i eat a banana every day. with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. and it isn't organic peanut butter. it is skippy. i eat a huge bowl of granola cereal (4 servings) with milk. and i eat 4 eggs, a sandwich (with only half-whole grain bread and processed meat, THE HORROR!). whatever the hell i want for dinner and dessert, and a giant bowl of cottage cheese or yogurt as a snack before bed.

i also ride my bike to work and hit the gym HARD during my lunch hour.

i suspect that in addition to incorrectly logging calories, the OP isn't honest about the intensity of their workouts. i see way too many people in cruise control mode on the eliptical machines. they're probably buring 1/4 the calories that they think they are.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so happy :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    This thread makes me so happy :)

So that ISN'T a banana in your pocket???
  • Jmayhem69
    Options

why? it's no secret that your body burns more when awake and vertical than when sleeping. Who NEEDS more than 6-7 hours of sleep? What's the harm in increasing your BMR by 100-300 calories simply by waking earlier and starting your day? Further, why say no offense after using a word like "Stupid" All my advice is what I do and I am having great results with very little effort. So if doesn't work for you, don't do it. There's no reason to slam other people's suggestions especially if you have not tried it yourself. Just move along without dropping your negative judgmental opinion. Thank you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to understand your caloric needs a little more if you can provide me with some basic info I can help. There is a good chance you are under eating which is the problem. Not bananas (which I Love and eat all the time). If you can provide your current weight, height, and age (even over private message) and your daily exercise routine, I will give you some options.

And if you feel better, I increase my calories from 1800 to 2600 and cut 4% body fat, I increased my calories again and lost another 3% body fat. You make the call if increasing calories work.