people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• Maystar80
    Maystar80 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm totally trying it! It's so scary, but I searched mfp for this subject and after reading so many good stories I know I need to face the fear and do it!
    Thank you
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just find it hard to believe. When I ate 1200 cals net a day, I lost around 0.8 lbs a week. When I upped to 1340, I lost about 0.6 lbs a week. I upped again to 1500 cals net (where I am now) and I have been maintaining for 2 months on that (bear in mind I have lost around 30 lbs altogether, so my caloric requirements are a lot lower now than they were when I started - I started off maintaining on 1700 cals). So raising calories has had exactly the expected effect on me - my weight loss slowed and stopped as I ate more.

As with all forum threads, most is to do with personal experience. This post sums me up to a T! Lower the calories, the more I lose and I ONLY eat my exercise calories if I'm maintaining or training for a big event but never if I am losing. Truthfully, doing this I has never plateaued unless I'm doing some serious weight training and lose inches but stay the same (which I am very happy with) I do make sure everything is eat has nutritional value but again the above post sums up the effect on me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just find it hard to believe. When I ate 1200 cals net a day, I lost around 0.8 lbs a week. When I upped to 1340, I lost about 0.6 lbs a week. I upped again to 1500 cals net (where I am now) and I have been maintaining for 2 months on that (bear in mind I have lost around 30 lbs altogether, so my caloric requirements are a lot lower now than they were when I started - I started off maintaining on 1700 cals). So raising calories has had exactly the expected effect on me - my weight loss slowed and stopped as I ate more.

As with all forum threads, most is to do with personal experience. This post sums me up to a T! Lower the calories, the more I lose and I ONLY eat my exercise calories if I'm maintaining or training for a big event but never if I am losing. Truthfully, doing this I has never plateaued unless I'm doing some serious weight training and lose inches but stay the same (which I am very happy with) I do make sure everything is eat has nutritional value but again the above post sums up the effect on me.

What about non-scale changes to the body?

I went on maintenance in October, gained some weight, and I'm smaller now. Enough to make me give my scale the middle finger. :smile: If I wasn't monitoring my progress with photos, and just going by the number on the scale, I might have been disappointed. This blog post shows my progress since last March, which was only an 8# loss total, and my progress since May, which is only 4#. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/just-8-pounds-214409

Granted, it's not like I went on maintenance and quit. I'm eating more, but I'm working just has hard, if not harder because I have more fuel for energy.
  • GetThinKim
    Options
    MFP originally put me at 1200 and I didnt lose a THING..then I noticed that my friends had higher goals and were losing, so I upped them to 1400 and began losing :)
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time believing you can eat more calories than your goal and still lose weight. When I eat more calories I GAIN weight. Isn't that the reason we keep track of calories? Just sayin'

My goal calories per day is 1380. After I lost 20 lbs, MFP wanted my goal to be 1200. I upped it back to 1380 as I was just too hungry. My calories per day just to exist and not gain or lose is 1700. As long as there is a deficit, you will lose weight in the long run. A year ago I lost over 40 lbs by zigzagging the calories. Just my input:bigsmile:
  • paulamhunt
    paulamhunt Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to hear responses. I'm 5'4" and eating 1200 calories now, but I was thinking of upping it to 1300.

I am 5'3" and MFP started me at 1200 calories. I lost weight the 1st week, but then gained the next 2 following weeks. Alot of times I ate under my calorie goal and days went by with out any structured exercise. I bumped my calorie intake to 1300 this week and have lost. (This included 2 days of not tracking due to college visit and no computer access. There was also no structured exercise those days.) I am going to try the 1300 a day for 1 month and go from there.
    I hope my experience has been helpful.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In the same boat. Trying to up my calories. I am really active and my Fitbit tells me I earn about 500- 800 calories from exercise. I tried to eat near the amount it told me yesterday and couldn't sleep last night because I was awful, bloated and gross from overeating (maybe TMI but I eat LOADS of veggies and fiber). This week I am going to focus on eating back 50-75% of my exercise calories to stay up near 1200-1300 net and see what happens.
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was chronically under eating for over a year (without knowing it; I was not counting calories). I managed to gain 15 lbs. over the course of that year, all the while I was working out daily and eating probably fewer than net 700 cals a day; sometimes probably negative calories.

The reason you can gain when you chronically undereat is bc you slow down the metabolism so much that whenever you have a little splurge (like say a piece of cake--extra 500 cals over your normal whatever -- 500 total), your body grabs it and stores it, and boom. you gain. In my case, the more I gained, the more I worked out, and the more I restricted food (I was doing absolute minimum weight watchers points and never eating back exercise points).

I have now lost all the weight that I gained and these days I eat bt 1800-2400 cals a day, depending on exercise. Net 1390.

You can read more about my specific situation on my profile, but I want to include here a fantastic article that really helped me understand what was going on. I hope it helps you too.

Edit: I am 5'4, 127 lbs, and 43 years old. I am a mom of 4.

blessings.

Living With Obesity At 700 Calories Per Day!
    By: David Greenwalt

I want you to consider a common female client. She's a woman about 5'5" and 185 pounds. A combination of a mostly sedentary lifestyle, quick-fix, processed foods and consistent excessively low calories has resulted in an incredibly stubborn fat loss scenario. Not only has it created a stubborn fat loss scenario but her ability to add body fat is remarkably strong.

Most would believe there is simply no possible way she could be 185 pounds eating mostly low calories. While it's true the average obese American created their own obesity by being a huge over consumer, a sedentary glutton if you will, many are able to maintain their level of obesity with the following formula in very precise ratios: starvation + binges + sedentary lifestyle.

Amazing. I can't believe there was an article written about this. I thought I was the only one. This is absolutely exactly my past history of eating. It explains A LOT....why I struggled (and still struggle) with eating enough calories every day. I never really understood how I could continually see my weight go up even though I knew I was barely netting 700 calories a day. Combine that with chronic illness that often left me bedbound...recipe for disaster. I'm so glad that I did not let it get any worse and have corrected that destructive behavior and try to do my best eating my daily calories, including healthy, fresh foods. Thanks so much for your post!
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was losing slowly set to 1850/day, about 0.5lbs every TWO weeks. I was always making sure my net was at or close to that. I upped to 2000/day, some days I am under and some I am over, and stopped logging activity to eat more. I lost 2.8lbs in the last two weeks. I bought a FitBit and it looks like my TDEE on fairly active days is around 2700, so no wonder I feel better and have dropped a bit more by just increasing a bit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues. I do not worry about netting 2000, I just try to consume about that much, give or take a couple hundred calories.

I am 5'10 and 198lbs (SW when I rejoined MFP in Jan was about 207lbs) and I don't have time to work out - I take 11 credits at a local university and work 4-5 shifts a week waiting tables, plus I have two small children. If I had time to work out I would probably still stay around 2000 cals.
  • Ladeda1
    Ladeda1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    In the same boat. Trying to up my calories. I am really active and my Fitbit tells me I earn about 500- 800 calories from exercise. I tried to eat near the amount it told me yesterday and couldn't sleep last night because I was awful, bloated and gross from overeating (maybe TMI but I eat LOADS of veggies and fiber). This week I am going to focus on eating back 50-75% of my exercise calories to stay up near 1200-1300 net and see what happens.

Less bulk and more healthy fats will make you feel much better--less bloating and over fullness. Fat is GOOD for you if from healthy sources.
  • BeautiflyThin
    Options
    I always loose weight the more I eat (Awesome right)? But i always end up feeling bloated and gross after =(
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Very interesting
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I stalled at 1200 after an initial big loss, and then upped my cals to generally over 1400, give or take. The weight has been falling off since then, too much so, I've lost 4 lbs in the last week. So I think I'm going to up my cals even further. My cals are set to maintenance on my diary (per Olivia's Method) and my actual deficit is the green number. I lift heavy three times a week, and do 30 mins on the elliptical 2-3 times a week, other than that I'm sedentary as all get out.
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    great topic!

bump
  • Taffyali
    Options
    Bumping to subscribe :)
  • birdieintx
    Options
    This is a great thread! Like most of y'all I came to MFP thinking I want to lose 2lbs a week, put in all my info and was given a 1200 calorie goal before exercise. I steadily have lost a pound a week. Now If I'm eating 1200 calories to lose 2lbs but am only losing 1 why not change my goals to 1400 calories which MFP says will give me a weight loss of 1lb a week? So I changed my settings today and am hoping to see good results.

(I also eat back a good portion of my exercise calories)
  • gleechick609
    Options
    MFP started me out on 1470 calories back in July. After 3 months and only 7 lbs lost, I found the "Appzilla 2 App" on itunes and used their BMR calculator. I plugged in my numbers and found out how many calories I should be eating according to my activity level. I made my own 500 calorie deficit and wound up eating around 1850-2000 calories (not including eating exercise calories back). 5 months eating higher, I lost 40 lbs! Since upping my calories, the weight has been falling off. The weight loss is now stalling since I am very close (7 lbs) away from goal. Right now, I am just letting the weight come off on its own. Stepping away from the scale for a month. Not stressing over natural flucuations. Going to keep eating my calories, focus on hitting my macros, stay active and strength train.

I sit at a desk all day but my fitness activity includes: running 3 times a week (45-120 minutes/short run-long weekend run), walking twice a week for 60-90 minutes and strength training 2-3 days a week

There is life over 1200 calories. You just need to run your numbers!! Just remember that when you eat at TDEE and hit your macros, you will maintain your current weight. Eat 20% less than TDEE to burn fat (not lean muscle) at a sustainable pace.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
    Military Body Fat tool and then BMR tool (they give you a chart of how many calories you should be eating according to activity)

MFP member helloitsdan sent me that link and my numbers from my bmr app were only off by 40 calories. It does work! :)

Good luck everyone!
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump