people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Thanks to everyone who told thier story!
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In the same boat. Trying to up my calories. I am really active and my Fitbit tells me I earn about 500- 800 calories from exercise. I tried to eat near the amount it told me yesterday and couldn't sleep last night because I was awful, bloated and gross from overeating (maybe TMI but I eat LOADS of veggies and fiber). This week I am going to focus on eating back 50-75% of my exercise calories to stay up near 1200-1300 net and see what happens.

Reporting back on my original post. Ate back my calories to get my net calories up to the 1200 range and lost 2 lbs. Nice side benefit is that I am not freezing cold and snarly all day from being so hungry!
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...maybe that's my problem....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Most of my team eats 2k daily.
    Some of us are up to 2500 daily to lose fat!
    these are the 5'11" group with body fat % in the 40s.

If you are female 5'2" and working out 3-5 times a week you should try to hit 1600-1800 daily for fat loss.
    5'5" 1800-2k
    5'7" 2k-2200 daily.

For men 5'5" working out 3-5 times a week shoot for 2k daily.
    The numbers go up and up!

always eat back to at least 200 above BMR for lean mass safety!
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Will this work w/o exercising?

I am at a desk job on top of recuperating from a knee injury. I am eating 1450 net and am hungry most days. I have plateaued since starting about 55 days ago.

I will be introducing exercise back in to my routine in the next couple of months. I am afraid to up my calories until then.

Any thoughts?

Anyone?
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options

If you are female 5'2" and working out 3-5 times a week you should try to hit 1600-1800 daily for fat loss.
    5'5" 1800-2k
    5'7" 2k-2200 daily.

Hi,

I'm a 5'3 female, workout out 3 days a week (strength and cardio dvds), 43 years, desk job.

Should i be eating 1600 -1800 gross or net?

Thanks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Will this work w/o exercising?

I am at a desk job on top of recuperating from a knee injury. I am eating 1450 net and am hungry most days. I have plateaued since starting about 55 days ago.

I will be introducing exercise back in to my routine in the next couple of months. I am afraid to up my calories until then.

Any thoughts?

If you're hungry and plateauing, I'd try eating more. Worst case scenario, you might gain a little, which you'll easily take off once your knee is healed and you're able to exercise again.

When I was recovering from my stress fracture, I took an entire month off any logging. Trying to stay within my calories when I couldn't exercise like I wanted was too annoying, and I preferred to run the risk of gaining weight than feeling deprived and stressed. I was stressed enough not being able to run.

I might have gained at most one pound, and it was gone in two weeks as soon as I was able to exercise again, without trying to lose any.
  • kaileysgran
    Options
    bump
  • sweetsierra
    Options
    I was super sick for about a month and could hardly eat anything (probably 600 cal a day). I only lost a little bit of weight. Then, when I got better and started eating again (about 1500 cals a day), the weight just started flying off! Your body needs food! Otherwise it thinks it's starving and hangs onto everything!
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. bumpforlater
  • annalistic
    annalistic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    bumping!
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bump
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting. I'm not really trying to lose, just maintain, but increasing my calories is stressing me out. I've upped from 1200 to 1300 and I'll take it a week at a time.

I'm not a body builder like a lot of the members here, more a yoga girl, which isn't a big calorie burner.
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

5'5" 1800-2k
    5'7" 2k-2200 daily.

Hi,

I'm a 5'3 female, workout out 3 days a week (strength and cardio dvds), 43 years, desk job.

Should i be eating 1600 -1800 gross or net?

Thanks.

Net!
    But these numbers are appx...i'd need to run full numbers for more exact info.

Send me a PM.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

You cant generalise though because everyone is differen! :)

It depends on a number of things such as how much muscle mass the indidividual has and and at what intensity they are exercising. Is it vigorous/moderate/low intensity and how regularly are they doing it

For instance I'm 5 foot 2 have a good amount of muscle and I workout intensely and I'm losing eating mostly around the 2000 k - 2200 mark. I can maintain on between 2000 - 2600.

Now another person who is my height 5 foot 2 might not have the same amount of muscle mass as me and do less intense exercise less regularly and they will have to work out by trial and error the amount they can eat to lose the fat. It depends on how much muscle they have and how fast their metabolism is.

I dont feel you can make a blanket statement on the calorie range a person needs to eat to lose.

:)
  • purplerain011
    Options
    bump
  • Mckinneysantos
    Options
    I want to lose 30 lbs total my fitness pal say eat 1590 to lose 1lb a wk I am 204.4 started 8wks ago at 215 . I only lost .2 this wk am I doing something wrong