Is this thread still here?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Not wrong, IMO. :)
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options

If you want to leave religion out of it, then leave religion out of it. But it's rude to Christians to say thanks for the holiday, now can you strip the meaning out of it since I don't share your religion?
    I'm so tired of everyone trying to be politically correct. It's Christmas. Celebrate it or move on. Make your own holiday if you don't like it. Do not have it on the same day, please. Errrr......

Both these posts completely ignore that fact that Xmas was a holiday long before Christians adopted it. Yes, because of the spread of Christianity it's now called Christmas, rather than Solstice or Mithrasmas, but the celebration itself and the culture around it is for far more than just Christians. Maybe anyone not Christian should call it something like(like Christians stealing Xmas trees, which are banned in the bible, and renaming them) but that would be a bit petty. Most people get over that it has Christ in the name and just enjoy what is a predominantly cultural celebration.

All of the well known Xmas trappings have nothing to do with Christ, Santa, Xmas tree, Xmas dinner etc etc. These are cultural traditions that have developed separately from the religious aspect.

As for the 'have your own holiday but not on the same day' comment. Hilariously ironic. Look up Mithras maybe, and all of the traditions 'adopted' by Christians before you go telling people not to steal the same day.

I have no problem with Christians enjoying the religious aspects of the holiday, it suited them to adopt the holiday and celebrate their saviours birthday, despite the inaccuracy. Work away. But don't then complain cos other people also partake in the celebration you stole and try to force your beliefs on them simply because they use the convenient name for the holiday.

'Happy Birthday Jesus' cake sounds like a pathetic attempt at a wind-up.
  • BloomingLily
    BloomingLily Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "Jumpintodebt2buypresents" Day or "Eattoomanychocolateeggsandspew" Day.
    Sadly, these are so true. Yet, I had to laugh when I read them.
  • branflake5
    Options
    My dad made a Happy Birthday Jesus cake every Christmas when I was growing up. I don't see anything wrong with it. I am not really a religious person but most of my family is. I agree with a lot of the posts on the subject but many christians believe they are here to spread the word of Jesus Christ. Granted there are many different religions but if they are coming to a "Christmas" party I would assume they celebrate Christmas as opposed to Hanukkah or Kwanzaa. If I went to a Hanukkah event/party I would not expect to see a manger scene, certain things are associated with the celebration of Christmas maybe a birthday cake to Jesus seems different to some people but I would not find it offensive. And if I were of another religion that did not celebrate Christmas I just wouldn't let my kids go.

I don't think you were wrong because you have a right to your own opinion but I don't think she was wrong either, well maybe for getting loud with you she was wrong.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

If you're going to allow a "Christmas" party, but refuse to allow the religious aspects of Christmas to be involved, that doesn't make sense.

If you wish to have a "Winter" party, your decision holds up. A "December is fun" party, perfect. But to call it Christmas and then try to excise "Christ" from it, doesn't hold water.

If you were to allow a Hanukkah party, you'd acknowledge it's Jewish, and have a menorah, yes? Same for other religious holidays, no matter how badly they've been shanghai'd by materialism.

If you want to leave religion out of it, then leave religion out of it. But it's rude to Christians to say thanks for the holiday, now can you strip the meaning out of it since I don't share your religion?

I'm not religious, but I dislike the way some people treat Christmas as though it wasn't sacred and deeply religious for some folks.

If the parents of the children did not want them to attend a Christmas party then that should be the decision of the parents. Christmas is a religious holiday, unfortunately many people have forgotten that.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Christmas is a religious holiday, unfortunately many people have forgotten that.

Yes, the term Christmas has ovbiously religious overtones, however the holiday itself is not inherently religious. It's funny, people complain when non-religious people refer to it as Christmas(the cultural holiday) yet complain even louder when people try to rename it e.g. when people just say the holidays etc. You can't win really.

The winter celebration is not religious. Santa is not religious. Christmas trees are not religious. Turkey is not religious. Celebrating the holiday using all of these things but not a manger etc means it's a cultural holiday, not a religious one, for a lot of people. Yes, it has a religious name, but so what? Christians do not have sole ownership of the Winter celebration, even if they did manage to get their name of it to catch on.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options

I'm so tired of everyone trying to be politically correct. It's Christmas. Celebrate it or move on. Make your own holiday if you don't like it. Do not have it on the same day, please. Errrr......

Both these posts completely ignore that fact that Xmas was a holiday long before Christians adopted it. Yes, because of the spread of Christianity it's now called Christmas, rather than Solstice or Mithrasmas, but the celebration itself and the culture around it is for far more than just Christians. Maybe anyone not Christian should call it something like(like Christians stealing Xmas trees, which are banned in the bible, and renaming them) but that would be a bit petty. Most people get over that it has Christ in the name and just enjoy what is a predominantly cultural celebration.

All of the well known Xmas trappings have nothing to do with Christ, Santa, Xmas tree, Xmas dinner etc etc. These are cultural traditions that have developed separately from the religious aspect.

As for the 'have your own holiday but not on the same day' comment. Hilariously ironic. Look up Mithras maybe, and all of the traditions 'adopted' by Christians before you go telling people not to steal the same day.

I have no problem with Christians enjoying the religious aspects of the holiday, it suited them to adopt the holiday and celebrate their saviours birthday, despite the inaccuracy. Work away. But don't then complain cos other people also partake in the celebration you stole and try to force your beliefs on them simply because they use the convenient name for the holiday.

'Happy Birthday Jesus' cake sounds like a pathetic attempt at a wind-up.

this 100%, Christians need to educate themselves on their holidays. A Happy Birthday Jesus cake would be totally mistimed for December 25th.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I understand the politically correctness about religion and politics, and why such a thing exists .. What I can't understand is why there is an argument when it comes to any event related to Christmas. THAT one totally baffles me. Christmas is and has always been about the birth of Christ .. the basis of Christian belief. I am confused as to why so many want to be part of any celebration around 'that time of year' when they refuse any iconic representation of Christendom because it is not their own.

Someone please explain that to me .. I am baffled.
    Because Christmas has become a cultural event to some, even if it isn't a religious one to them. What I don't get is why it's so bothersome? Why do you care if they call it "Christmas" or "Festivus?" They're not worshiping Christ with it, in that context, and while I DO worship Christ on Christmas, I also celebrate in a CULTURAL way, by doing things like taking my kids to tree lighting ceremonies that have nothing to do with Jesus.

I mean, I get if that offends you for some reason, but I don't get finding it baffling. How is it confusing? People grew up with it and have great memories of it, and want to do Santa, and take the reason to give gifts to family & friends even if they don't believe in Christ. I still eat latkes even though I'm not Jewish.

I find it confusing because it is all so intertwined.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Nevermind, I wish I had more time today, but can't spend much time debating! LOL

Honestly, I think getting bent out of shape about this is a perfect example of what people mean when they complain "semantics." No one can deny the cultural and secular 'other side' of Christmas, and I don't see where it's any skin of anyone's nose.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I suggest at least a two hour party..

Draw straws to select which order the different styles will be represented, so no one cries "how come they were first?" etc.

The evening could go like this...and everyone would be enriched somehow..

7:00 - 7:30 - Hannukah

7:30 - 8:00 - Kwanza

8:00 - 8:30 - Christmas

8:30 - 9:00 - Festivus....for the rest of us! :drinker:

Or chuck it all and just call it ChristmaKwanzukah :bigsmile:

YES!!! ^^^^^This. My thoughts exactly. Like Christmas around the world or something.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I suggest at least a two hour party..

Draw straws to select which order the different styles will be represented, so no one cries "how come they were first?" etc.

The evening could go like this...and everyone would be enriched somehow..

7:00 - 7:30 - Hannukah

7:30 - 8:00 - Kwanza

8:00 - 8:30 - Christmas

8:30 - 9:00 - Festivus....for the rest of us! :drinker:

Or chuck it all and just call it ChristmaKwanzukah :bigsmile:

YES!!! ^^^^^This. My thoughts exactly. Like Christmas around the world or something.

You are much wise for one so young. :bigsmile: