Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• khd8n
    khd8n Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ha, I still remember looking at my mom in the dressing room and saying in bewilderment, "Well, if I wear a size 4, what size do the skinny people wear??"
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 5 dress sizes but I still feel as though I should be looking at the back of the rack every time I go shopping.... the mental bit is the hardest to overcome
  • rle2512
    rle2512 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    yep! ive dropped 50+ lbs. I'm right in the middle of a "healthy" weight for my height. I know realistically theres some toning to do. But i still see the almost 200 lb me in the mirror.

I'm alot harsher when i judge myself, than anyone else.
  • BearsinHats
    BearsinHats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll still pick up a shirt or pair of jeans and think "there's NO way this can go on my body" and then it fits easily...
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes and it was one of the biggest mistakes I'd ever made. I always saw where I could "do better" or couldn't really get out of the mental funk I was in for being overweight even though I wasn't. Sadly, my body fell back to the place my mentality never left and the fight is on again. See yourself as beautiful no matter the size, and appreciate and enjoy the journey.

Anybody reading this whose suffering with being mentally fat and are on a journey read this: You're a bad *kitten* for starting and your a bad *kitten* for continually pushing through so focus on that instead of how much you further you have to go or where you used to be.
  • BearsinHats
    Options
    I have also noticed that I'm harder on myself now because I pay more attention now. When I was heavier, I didn't think much about my weight and only ever felt self-conscious if my clothes were considerably tighter than usual or if I caught an unflattering glimpse of myself in a reflection. Now I tend to study my body more and in turn, find more to criticize.
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm maybe a little of the opposite. When I was fat I didn't think I was, I thought nothing had changed from my 20s. Looking back at pictures from just 5 years ago I see just where I was and how far I've come.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    Ha, I still remember looking at my mom in the dressing room and saying in bewilderment, "Well, if I wear a size 4, what size do the skinny people wear??"

Umm a size 0? 00? 4 is not skinny at all ..
  • BearsinHats
    Options

Funny...that almost makes it sound like skinny is an objective measurement....
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This isn't exactly the same thing, but I had a breast reduction in April and I still feel as though my breasts are practical joke big even though I am constantly assured they are not. I'm working on mentally accepting y new self. Often I am scared they will grow back but I'm healthy enough I know they won't. It's hard to accept change...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Size 4 is pretty small. Let's not be irresponsible and say otherwise.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have gone from a tight size 20 to a loose size 8 and there are some days when i feel small and other days i still see the " fat girl" in the mirror.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    12 years ago I weighed 333lbs. Was a size 32. Now I am still big but now a 16. Half the size I was but I still feel huge. I have no body awareness what so ever. Its sad really. I wonder if I ever will feel good about my body no matter how small I may get...
  • tillycrooke
    tillycrooke Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For the majority of my adult life I was obese, morbidly obese, now I'm not, but I can't really identify with the woman I see in the mirror, she's not the me I'm most familiar with.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I was 7.4% body fat .. and I still felt fat.

But I had to stop ... my friends called me a crack head cause my face was caved in and I looked like ****.

I am now eating ice cream .. and chocolate. It is better .. but I learned a hard lesson. That was to ignore that measuring tape and more so the scale. (I wanted that 34.5 inch "belly button measurement". I made it .. but looked like crap). Look in the mirror .. as that will tell you where you really are at.

Sadly sometimes we get so focused at hitting that goal that we lose our way. So .. it is important to re-evaluate your goals often, and adjust as needed. I thought I did .. but somehow something went wrong.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Ignorant statement is ignorant
  • wildskies
    wildskies Posts: 129 Member
    Options

lol, I think this is one of the best posts ever. ;)

And this.. One of the rudest. :/
  • luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've gained a lot of confidence, but there's still a bit of that insecurity in me. I think that when I get where I want to be things will be different.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am definitely skinny fat.

My husband gets mad at me when I call myself fat, but in my head, I'll always be the fat girl.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    YES, but then again, I'm still physically fat so... there's that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!