Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• luzdelua
    luzdelua Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'll still pick up a shirt or pair of jeans and think "there's NO way this can go on my body" and then it fits easily...

OMG! Me too. When I go shopping I automatically pick up a size 12, or a L. I sometimes even try them on because I think they'll still fit...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Ha, I still remember looking at my mom in the dressing room and saying in bewilderment, "Well, if I wear a size 4, what size do the skinny people wear??"

Umm a size 0? 00? 4 is not skinny at all ..

Such a funny statement coming from someone who closed her diary due to "judgemental and rude people"... but whatevs.

as to the OP, I don't think that goes away for a long time... It hides itself but as long as we are insecure about ourselves and our accomplishments, the negative will always try to manifest itself again.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining right now from lifting, and it's really confusing. I weigh myself, and then feel "fat" because I'm heavier. Really the clothes fit the same.

It's weird.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I will always still feel mentally fat and see flab and saddlebags....
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. It's only when I see a photo that I stop and realise that I'm not fat any more.
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm a few pounds from my BMI being in the normal range but I still see myself the same as I was before I started.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't feel fat anymore, but I'm paranoid about overeating. It's like if I overeat I'm going to wake up 30lbs heavier in the morning. My rational mind knows that's not going to happen, but it's tough shaking that feeling. The longer I maintain, the less I feel that way.
  • justdoit1106
    justdoit1106 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ha, I still remember looking at my mom in the dressing room and saying in bewilderment, "Well, if I wear a size 4, what size do the skinny people wear??"

Where do you get off saying something like that? Especially when you write this on your profile...
    "I'm done accepting requests from guys. Also had to make my diary "friends only" because some of you people are too judgmental and rude "
    I think a size 4 is a size 8 in the UK and that's pretty small. There was absolutely no need for you to write that statement, and considering your dislike of 'rude, judgemental people', I would have thought you would be more considered in your contribution to this thread.
  • khd8n
    khd8n Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Welp, better go starve myself!

And I realize that yes, people thinner than I am wear 2s and 0s and 00s (and now J. Crew just introduced 000s, so dumb - JUST STOP VANITY SIZING), but if you think that a size 4 is "not skinny at all" then you have bigger issues to address. Good luck!

And thanks everyone who responded in my defense. Y'all are the best.
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Welp, better go starve myself!

And I realize that yes, people thinner than I am wear 2s and 0s and 00s (and now J. Crew just introduced 000s, so dumb - JUST STOP VANITY SIZING), but if you think that a size 4 is "not skinny at all" then you have bigger issues to address. Good luck!

And thanks everyone who responded in my defense. Y'all are the best.
    sarcasm
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Kind of.

I ordered a bikini from Target, and after I ordered it, I realized that I ordered a small top/medium bottoms. I had a pang of worry "What if it doesn't fit?", after it got here, I tried it on and saw that it fit pretty well.

When I go clothes shopping, I always grab a size that I used to wear, because it really blows my mind that I can fit into a single digit size.

I don't think I see my body as fat, I just don't see it as average/thin.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see that others are having image issues...not that I wish this on anyone, but just yesterday I showed my "significant other" my side by side pictures of me 18months ago and today...and told him that when I look in the mirror, I still see the 18-months-ago-me... I know this is an issue that I have to learn to deal with, but I have never, ever been at this weight or size so this is all new to me.

One of my coworkers suggested I do the side-by-side pictures so I could see what everyone else sees... and how much weight I've really lost... it's still mind blowing to think I am wearing a size 4... instead of a size 24. I spend my weekends trying on various clothes in my closet just to make sure they still fit... I am afraid that I will wake up one morning to find that I've gained back all the weight I lost... does it ever get better??
    :ohwell: :yawn:
  • jenekaking
    jenekaking Posts: 25
    Options

lol, I think this is one of the best posts ever. ;)

And this.. One of the rudest. :/

I totally agree. 0 or 00? Pshhh.. A size four is amazing!
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah. :ohwell:
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 30lbs but yes, I still feel bigger. I've lost more dress sizes than weight and I notice that I don't feel smaller, I don't feel thinner. I love when smaller things fit but I find that I just don't feel less yet.

I'm sure it takes time.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It comes in time. There will be a photo of you at an event and you will realize you don't look bad at all.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Mental process as much as physical. Still move to the side in our work hallways hoping they can squeeze through but realize i don't need to do that anymore. Same with having to use objects to heave myself up from the floor when i am sitting down.
  • intelligirl
    intelligirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've been down about 75lbs for a few years now, but whenever I walk through a restaurant I *still* worry about fitting between the chairs and the tables. I suck it in Every. Single. Time. It's always a relief when I just slip through.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Well aren't you a peach :flowerforyou:

Jeez...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!