Congress pushes back on healthier school lunches

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I pay taxes also. So, how would you know that it would only be your tax dollars.
    Seriously? :indifferent:

You cool with financing some some pectoral implants for me?
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    What?
    It matters to me that they tax me and my money doesn't go where I feel it's moral. I don't want to pay for prostitution, they could create a law for that. Funding in Obama care is going to sex offenders and it can't stand up constitutionally. It'll be tied in courts for years and I wonder if it wasn't there plan to begin with as now all the money that is being collected and wasn't supposed to start until 2014 (lost my healthcare due to Obamacare raising my rates) and now will be unacountable funds.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    How did we start talking about you? It's not race. I like Denzel Washington and would vote for him. He paid to build a hospital, I think it was for vets. Call me racist all you want it's after all the easiest answer. I can see you read none of my other posts.

I apologize if you think I called you a racist. That was not and is not my intention. I was trying to point out when the federal had to step in because the local government was not acting in the best interest of all the people. I am very passionate about this issue because I am in the field of public health and I see first hand how communities are destroyed by individuals but, also by factors that are outside of the individual control.

I should have removed myself from this thread because my objectivity is very limited on this matter. Again, I do apologize if you feel that I was calling you a racist. Never was the intention.
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    What?
    It matters to me that they tax me and my money doesn't go where I feel it's moral. I don't want to pay for prostitution, they could create a law for that. Funding in Obama care is going to sex offenders and it can't stand up constitutionally. It'll be tied in courts for years and I wonder if it wasn't there plan to begin with as now all the money that is being collected and wasn't supposed to start until 2014 (lost my healthcare due to Obamacare raising my rates) and now will be unacountable funds.

I don't believe in war but, my tax dollars are funding the war. Yes, I support the troops and their families but, why do my tax dollars have to pay for something I think is just as wrong.
  • CorinthiaB
    Options
    I pay taxes also. So, how would you know that it would only be your tax dollars.

lol... Once I pay my taxes, the money is no longer mine. So get whatever you need!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Those who don't want health care by all means don't get it.
    Obamacare obligates everyone to have health insurance, whether they want it or not.
    Maybe Ron Paul is correct. If you can't afford health care then you should just die. I know that would not be the Christian way. Not when this country was founded on the Christian way.
    Please cite Ron Paul saying this.

Yes, technically I believe Ron Paul said something to the effect that he was fine with letting other people not lift a finger if someone was dying, even though he himself would never do such a thing (not help a dying person).

Anyone who actually uses the term Obamacare without irony shouldn't be taken seriously.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    How did we start talking about you? It's not race. I like Denzel Washington and would vote for him. He paid to build a hospital, I think it was for vets. Call me racist all you want it's after all the easiest answer. I can see you read none of my other posts.

I apologize if you think I called you a racist. That was not and is not my intention. I was trying to point out when the federal had to step in because the local government was not acting in the best interest of all the people. I am very passionate about this issue because I am in the field of public health and I see first hand how communities are destroyed by individuals but, also by factors that are outside of the individual control.

I should have removed myself from this thread because my objectivity is very limited on this matter. Again, I do apologize if you feel that I was calling you a racist. Never was the intention.
    Thank you. I think there needs to be civil talk about this. I have dissagreement with how it's done not that it needs to change. The answers being come up with are so over the top that it will destroy things. But that is the intention I believe, to recreate America. There was a study done by a leader for abstinance. They did a tax payer paid for study and wont release the results. The leader for abstinence has seen, when it's taught it is an effective tool that actually causes the down turn of sexual activity in students.
    My view comes from 1 Planned parenthoods involvement in the government, 2 The government pulling all funding from abstinence training and 3 hiding info from the public on results we paid for.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Obamacare obligates everyone to have health insurance, whether they want it or not.
    Maybe Ron Paul is correct. If you can't afford health care then you should just die. I know that would not be the Christian way. Not when this country was founded on the Christian way.
    RP didn't say this, but there was the suggestion that the unensured should be allowed to die at one of the debates. Lot of cheering from the crowd.

Here's reality. Everybody in the USA has major medical insurance. If you collapse on Main St. an ambulance will pick you up and take you to the hospital - whether you can pay for it or not - that's the law and has been for a long time.

At the hospital they will give you the treatment you need to stay alive - whether you can pay for it or not - that's the law and has been for a long time.

Once you're out of the woods there will be followup care provided to keep you alive - whether you can pay for it or not - that's the law and has been for a long time.

After you're healed up the providers will slap you with an enormous bill. They may or may not raid your trailer and take your Dale Earnhardt Commemorative Plate collection and all your empry skoal cans, not that it will make the slightest difference either way.

So the reality is that we all have major medical, either we have to get rid of that and let poor people die in the streets - OR - we have to find a way to pay for it. The individual mandate is an attempt to make people pay for what they get, and it's actually a very old Conservative idea. I hate it too.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options

Specifically, the bill would:

— Block the Agriculture Department from limiting starchy vegetables, including corn and peas, to two servings a week. The rule was intended to cut down on french fries, which many schools serve daily.

— Allow USDA to count two tablespoons of tomato paste as a vegetable, as it does now. The department had attempted to require that only a half-cup of tomato paste could be considered a vegetable. Federally subsidized lunches must have a certain number of vegetables to be served.

— Require further study on long-term sodium reduction requirements set forth by the USDA guidelines.

— Require USDA to define "whole grains" before they regulate them. The USDA rules require schools to use more whole grains.

Food companies who have fought the USDA standards say they were too strict and neglected the nutrients that potatoes, other starchy vegetables and tomato paste do offer.

"This agreement ensures that nutrient-rich vegetables such as potatoes, corn and peas will remain part of a balanced, healthy diet in federally funded school meals and recognizes the significant amounts of potassium, fiber and vitamins A and C provided by tomato paste, ensuring that students may continue to enjoy healthy meals such as pizza and pasta," said Kraig Naasz, president of the American Frozen Food Institute.

I believe a balanced meal includes some sort of starch, like potatoes, corn or peas. These are healthy choices even though many of us that are dieting avoid them.

"good" food that ends up in the trash doesn't help anyone, it's a waste of money and effort.

Pizza isn't a BAD food, it can be healthy. If taxpayers are footing the bill, local districts should be able to determine how the money for (subsidized) school lunches is spent. I believe parents of school age children should be making the choices, not politicians.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I don't believe in war but, my tax dollars are funding the war. Yes, I support the troops and their families but, why do my tax dollars have to pay for something I think is just as wrong.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    There will always be war, even the country were in is afraid of take over and instability if we leave. I agree killing is wrong, but we do more than war. You never hear about the hospitals/ schools built because we go and if not by military never probably would have got in. Also when you mustard gas your own people it's time someone step in. Plus we give dental care to those who might die otherwise. My husband is an honerably discharged Marine. Clinton could have gotten BinLadin but said no. I am thankful our president gave the orders.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I don't know why it didn't quote the first part.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    RP didn't say this, but there was the suggestion that the unensured should be allowed to die at one of the debates. Lot of cheering from the crowd.

Here's reality. Everybody in the USA has major medical insurance. If you collapse on Main St. an ambulance will pick you up and take you to the hospital - whether you can pay for it or not - that's the law and has been for a long time.

At the hospital they will give you the treatment you need to stay alive - whether you can pay for it or not - that's the law and has been for a long time.

Once you're out of the woods there will be followup care provided to keep you alive - whether you can pay for it or not - that's the law and has been for a long time.

After you're healed up the providers will slap you with an enormous bill. They may or may not raid your trailer and take your Dale Earnhardt Commemorative Plate collection and all your empry skoal cans, not that it will make the slightest difference either way.

So the reality is that we all have major medical, either we have to get rid of that and let poor people die in the streets - OR - we have to find a way to pay for it. The individual mandate is an attempt to make people pay for what they get, and it's actually a very old Conservative idea. I hate it too.
    I did this and guess what when I called the hospital they put me on payments and I paid them back. I have first hand experience with seeing the emergency room with no insurance and what you claim is not all true. They have to work with you and except payments. ITS THE LAW
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

lol... Once I pay my taxes, the money is no longer mine. So get whatever you need!
    Really? You don't care what gov't does with your tax dollars? :noway:
  • fit4mom
    Options
    It is widly known if you let kids go long enough they will eat what is in front of them, plus you can make pizza healthy. Protein diets can be good for you. The guy who did the potato diet (20 per day) actually got healthier. And again he did it purely to show that potatoes are not bad for you (which they tried to stop people from obtaining on food programs claiming them unhealthy). I know that's not tons of protein but it goes to show you that gov. is not always right.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think what we really need to focus on is these recess snacks. Don't they know eating more frequently does nothing for you? Actually, lets take out lunch time all together, they can just eat when they get home.

Obviously joking, but it goes to show there are different opinions of what is "right" and what is "healthy". As someone who recently graduated from high school, I can tell you in all honesty... school didn't make me fat. There were always the "healthy options in my caf and usually they were cheaper too. They ENCOURAGED healthy eating, but didn't force it. While obesity rates are on the rise, these children are not fat because of one unhealthy meal a day. I was always fortunate enough to have a healthy breakfast and dinner waiting at home for me. I always BROUGHT a lunch. The kids who people want to "help" aren't going to be changed by eating a salad at lunch instead of slice of pizza.

Besides, my school was downtown.... if we wanted something bad we could simply walk down the street and grab something greasier and tastier.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I think what we really need to focus on is these recess snacks. Don't they know eating more frequently does nothing for you? Actually, lets take out lunch time all together, they can just eat when they get home.

Obviously joking, but it goes to show there are different opinions of what is "right" and what is "healthy". As someone who recently graduated from high school, I can tell you in all honesty... school didn't make me fat. There were always the "healthy options in my caf and usually they were cheaper too. They ENCOURAGED healthy eating, but didn't force it. While obesity rates are on the rise, these children are not fat because of one unhealthy meal a day. I was always fortunate enough to have a healthy breakfast and dinner waiting at home for me. I always BROUGHT a lunch. The kids who people want to "help" aren't going to be changed by eating a salad at lunch instead of slice of pizza.

Besides, my school was downtown.... if we wanted something bad we could simply walk down the street and grab something greasier and tastier.
    Out of the mouth of babes. Thanks for your sound advice. I totally agree!
  • CorinthiaB
    Options

Thank you for sharing!

However, for many rural area children it is not that simple. There are many children across the U.S whose only meals will be those consumed at school. Why not provide them with a healthier option? I can speak for the area I am in. It was not until 2007 that fresh fruit and veggies were and item served at school. A healthy breakfast now is a sausage wrapped in a pancake with a carton of mile. I agree may be everyone won't be saved but, there are plenty who will be. You would be amazed to know that some communities have to drive 30 or more miles to reach a grocery store. Since 2007, students who were given the options to have fresh fruits and veggies here have selected to eat them. Mississippi is still the fattest state but, we are doing something in small steps.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing!

However, for many rural area children it is not that simple. There are many children across the U.S whose only meals will be those consumed at school. Why not provide them with a healthier option? I can speak for the area I am in. It was not until 2007 that fresh fruit and veggies were and item served at school. A healthy breakfast now is a sausage wrapped in a pancake with a carton of mile. I agree may be everyone won't be saved but, there are plenty who will be. You would be amazed to know that some communities have to drive 30 or more miles to reach a grocery store. Since 2007, students who were given the options to have fresh fruits and veggies here have selected to eat them. Mississippi is still the fattest state but, we are doing something in small steps.

I'm from a farming community, almost everyone in my school was bused from out of town... so I can very much imagine a town where the nearest proper grocery store is half an hour away :)

And if many children are only provided food at school (I'm not quite sure how the US caf system is set up as I'm Canadian) wouldn't it be more logical to provide higher calorie foods vs lower? Not necessarily unhealthy nutrient lacking foods, but higher calorie definitely. If I were to receive one meal a day and had to survive on it, it had better be one darn good, high calorie meal ?

As for breakfast, I'm again not sure how the US works, but in Canada we eat that at home... If you're eating a sausage wrapped in a pancake, you probably aren't going to be saved by a healthy lunch either.

I think healthier options would be fantastic, and if the government had decided to switch the cafeteria foods I would be all for it! But like I said, having the unhealthy foods isn't the core of the rising obesity rates. It might be a factor, but a relatively small one at that.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    I will state again that the content of a school lunch should be determined by the local schools. Parents have input into the practices of their local schools, (they elect the school board and can attend board meetings) and they are the best people to determine what types of foods should be offered to their children.
    I for one am tired of government telling me how to raise my kids.
  • fit4mom
    Options
    Having been on MFP there is a way to make these changes without getting rid of stuff all together. I do get that there is a poverty problem and a bad one, but it's like saying lets dump the school system because of the coruption. I just don't think we need to erraticate things. It's like they have an issue with dissrespect in school, so the answer is to get rid of God. It doesn't make sense. I like how Jamie Oliver actually educated kids to help them eat healthier. Plus these things are not bad in moderation. What grossed me out was when he said that red die contains the contents of crushed beetles. GROSS! I think we need to get the kids involved vs doing it for them. When they feel personal responsibility and relate health to productivity... That gives me an idea. Everytime they eat healthy at school why not pay them in monopoly money that they can turn in for reward. Could be at the end of the week and as simple as getting a lunch with the principle or having a party in class or getting to have 5 min of free time. They can be required to retain so many points to turn in. This is done all the time with student of the month. See there is an answer, but I don't always think it should be recreation when the solution is right there. Not that these are perfect ideas, but it is a jumping off point. Encouragement and reward for good choices sets them on the road to victorious living.
This discussion has been closed.