Congress pushes back on healthier school lunches

Options
123457»

Replies

• CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I will state again that the content of a school lunch should be determined by the local schools. Parents have input into the practices of their local schools, (they elect the school board and can attend board meetings) and they are the best people to determine what types of foods should be offered to their children.
    I for one am tired of government telling me how to raise my kids.

Excellent for you and your child that the parents have that much input in what is being served. The local school board here is not voted on by the community. The Board members are appointed to serve. Mostly it is a whose who in the community. I wished everyone had the option. Strange things is that the federal government gives foodstamps and dictates what can be purchased with the food stamps.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I will state again that the content of a school lunch should be determined by the local schools. Parents have input into the practices of their local schools, (they elect the school board and can attend board meetings) and they are the best people to determine what types of foods should be offered to their children.

Excellent for you and your child that the parents have that much input in what is being served. The local school board here is not voted on by the community. The Board members are appointed to serve. Mostly it is a whose who in the community. I wished everyone had the option. Strange things is that the federal government gives foodstamps and dictates what can be purchased with the food stamps.
    Here in Washington they actually have the ability to go pull out money from the atm and spend it on what ever they want. They had a problem with this in another state (California I think) where the people spent it on alcohol. Recently THANK THE LORD they deemed that if you are on tax payer paid food stamps you are required to do a drug test. It's about time and I really do wish there was a mandate on what is to be purchased for taking food because in the end they buy junk. I can buy ingredients and make healthy pizza. That's the way I do it. and they could use chips for taco's which can be healthy. There is a way it can be done in a fun, positive way that will still allow the freedom of choice and discipline.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Wait a minute here - yes they dictate you can buy FOOD items, but there is NOTHING to stop someone who receives food stamps from buying nothing from junk food. I've seen it first hand.

And for the record, yes, I've been on food stamps & welfare.
    I lived in a small town where the closest grocery store was over 30 miles away.
    My parents taught me NOTHING about nutrition.
    And at one point I lived with my father who put me in charge of purchasing groceries, paying the bills, etc.. (I was 16).

Even as a teen, I had enough sense that I could get more for my food stamp by buying food that I had to prepare & cook - not heat and serve.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Excellent for you and your child that the parents have that much input in what is being served. The local school board here is not voted on by the community. The Board members are appointed to serve. Mostly it is a whose who in the community. I wished everyone had the option.
    Ours are elected here. That would be a worthy thing to petition and work as a community to change.
    Strange things is that the federal government gives foodstamps and dictates what can be purchased with the food stamps.
    With the amount of welfare fraud out there in the past, most states have regulations around the use of food stamps. I agree with the limits on what those tax-funded dollars should be buying. If folks are really in need, they shouldn't be using the funds on non-essentials.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Excellent for you and your child that the parents have that much input in what is being served. The local school board here is not voted on by the community. The Board members are appointed to serve. Mostly it is a whose who in the community. I wished everyone had the option.
    Ours are elected here. That would be a worthy thing to petition and work as a community to change.
    Strange things is that the federal government gives foodstamps and dictates what can be purchased with the food stamps.
    With the amount of welfare fraud out there in the past, most states have regulations around the use of food stamps. I agree with the limits on what those tax-funded dollars should be buying. If folks are really in need, they shouldn't be using the funds on non-essentials.
    Our local small town gov. is trying to change the gang problem and are running into serious walls because the people in Olympia don't want to reccognize a problem. When gang members are knocking at your door and shooting you as you open it there's a problem but were left to fend for ourselves because it's not priority and it doesn't suit them politically.
  • Natalie511
    Natalie511 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congress....could you please get back to working on jobs for crying out loud....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    snip
    So the reality is that we all have major medical, either we have to get rid of that and let poor people die in the streets - OR - we have to find a way to pay for it. The individual mandate is an attempt to make people pay for what they get, and it's actually a very old Conservative idea. I hate it too.
    I did this and guess what when I called the hospital they put me on payments and I paid them back. I have first hand experience with seeing the emergency room with no insurance and what you claim is not all true. They have to work with you and except payments. ITS THE LAW
    Your little $700 bill for an ear infection is not the problem and not what I'm talking about. Treatment for a heart attack can cost half a million dollars. That's $500,000. You don't pay that off with payments, You pay $100 a month on it 'til you file bankruptcy or die or until the hospital billing dept. writes it off - either way they don't get that money, so the rest of us pay for it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Congress....could you please get back to working on jobs for crying out loud....
    That's not what they're working on,,,
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks - political discussions are not allowed on the forums so we're locking this topic. Please join or form a group if you'd like to talk about politics.
This discussion has been closed.