Being OCD about calories

Options

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Everyday! You have to be for it to be sucessful. It does get easier as you learn which foods or which meals have how many calories and so forth! Keep up the OCD!
    Maybe for some, but as someone who has very successfully lost weight by being OCD, I know that for some of us, the pendulum can swing the other way--big time.
  • anniebanknote
    anniebanknote Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did that too when I was on WW!

I guess because it is something that I'm so super motivated about and I can be a bit of a perfectionist. Which just isn't realistic.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to think about your food choices often, it's important to pay attention.

However, you are not "being OCD" about it. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a disease characterized by uncontrollable thoughts and habits. Sorry, but that's just a peeve of mine.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Isn't that kind of essential to calorie counting - that one be correct in counting? I don't think it's a bad thing. But if it's bothering you then lay off a bit :)
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    I'm this way with counting my carbohydrates more so than calories. It annoys the heck out of those around me, and it probably is a bit too obsessive. But it comforts me somehow.
  • laurenatholen
    Options
    i am SO OCD. like if something says to eat 12 of something, ill only eat the piece if its the whole piece, i never eat the crumbs or broken pieces haha, and also ill only eat something if i can log the exact cals, i know thats terrible but its the OCD! all my friends make fun of me when i scan my food but i dont care haha it makes me happy!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to think about your food choices often, it's important to pay attention.

However, you are not "being OCD" about it. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a disease characterized by uncontrollable thoughts and habits. Sorry, but that's just a peeve of mine.

amen. i'm one to know! about both :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I prefer CDO - that way the letters are in the right order.
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love the Android App. It keeps me on track.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! OCD is incredibly debilitating and even if you obsessively count calories, you cannot possibly compare it to dealing with this disorder. It consumed most of my childhood and still flares up every now and then, and it is a serious condition.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! OCD is incredibly debilitating and even if you obsessively count calories, you cannot possibly compare it to dealing with this disorder. It consumed most of my childhood and still flares up every now and then, and it is a serious condition.

I'm glad someone in this thread is listening. I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with this on a regular basis. You understand more than even I do how offensive this is.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm OCD but I'm accurate. If I have good days/bad days whatever, it all gets logged.

I like numbers and I like to analyse results & I love self experimentation.

I train hard and eat the stuff I do for continuous improvement. If that looks a bit OCD to an outsider then so be it. I'd rather look a bit OCD and be fit/healthy/strong than do nothing and be lazy/fat/unhealthy.

In saying that, I do lean gains and IIFYM so I'm pretty free with what I eat. Just hitting minimum protein & fats. Pretty easy.
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If I could get as OCD about my workouts as I am on counting calories I'd be in great shape

This. Me too exactly.
  • justme84x
    Options
    I have gotten so bad that I weigh my food now.

I always weigh my food and don't consider it a bad thing or ocd by any means. go ahead and scoop out a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese then weigh it on a food scale that is tared out to 0...it will be different than the serving weight on the container! measuring calories can be very tricky and a bit off, but weight is weight :)
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i'm super ocd about calories...i have been since i was 12 :blushing: even weighing peppers sometimes. I have backed off a bit though, mainly because my food scale doesn't work anymore!!!!!!:grumble: but i go back and forth from weighing EVERYTHING to using like cup measurements which aren't nearly as exact
  • rachaelgarcia
    Options
    Constantly! Not only watching the calories I eat, but how much I burn from exercise.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yes to the point where I am annoying because I always ask to check things to find out exact calorie amounts. Everything has to be precise, and I get kind of anxious about going over
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I've never used the term "being OCD" like this. It certainly does not describe what the OP is talking about. The word "obsessive" would suffice.

In this context, though, I would use "anal" or "anal retentive".

chef.jpg

RIP Phil
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Every day, every bite. I know that it is not an exact science, but the hyper-awareness helps keep me accountable to myself. If it works for you . . . go with it!