Being OCD about calories

Options

Replies

• asaba1013
    Options
    I have gotten so bad that I weigh my food now.

lmaaooo.. ive been looking for a small scale!!! i live by my measuring cups too! hahah =)
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to think about your food choices often, it's important to pay attention.

However, you are not "being OCD" about it. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a disease characterized by uncontrollable thoughts and habits. Sorry, but that's just a peeve of mine.

Jorra has a very good point, here. The use of "OCD" in this thread is making light of a serious problem other people have. Counting calories is not that serious.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to think about your food choices often, it's important to pay attention.

However, you are not "being OCD" about it. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is a disease characterized by uncontrollable thoughts and habits. Sorry, but that's just a peeve of mine.

:heart:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Hi! Can we please stop using OCD as an adjective to describe someone who is perhaps a bit overly concerned about something? We wouldn't say "I'm so Crohn's Disease today" if we had diarrhea or "I hate being skin cancery" if we had a mole we didn't like.

It's offensive to people who suffer from this. I know you didn't mean it that way, but please think about what you are saying.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've never used the term "being OCD" like this. It certainly does not describe what the OP is talking about. The word "obsessive" would suffice.

In this context, though, I would use "anal" or "anal retentive".

I agree. I am anal about a lot of things, but I do not have OCD. It is a serious mental illness that affects many aspects of an individual's life. OCD is not a term that should be thrown around so loosely.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I think obsession is almost normal to be successful at this process.

Yeah I'm thinking this... I do ask how many calories are in things before buying them or having them... My friends all know I'm counting calories and don't mind... My husband expects this. It's part of being successful!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Jorra has a very good point, here. The use of "OCD" in this thread is making light of a serious problem other people have. Counting calories is not that serious.
    I understand and meant no offense. It isn't a term to be thrown around lightly. However, I would also venture to guess that you don't know the extent to which some people may become pre-occupied with calorie counting.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    What Jorra Contrarian and EEG said.

You're not being OCD by counting calories. If anything you're being ED (eating disorder) and that's not something to glorify here. Against the rules.

There is an obsessive compulsive personality disorder, but you don't want that either.

And when you're undecicive, you're not being schizophrenic. And if you're moody or get angry easily you're not bipolar.

And if you knee what any of these things were, you wouldn't throw them around like its so funny to say, and you'd cringe reading or hearing others being so cavalier about serious issues.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

I understand and meant no offense. It isn't a term to be thrown around lightly. However, I would also venture to guess that you don't know the extent to which some people may become pre-occupied with calorie counting.

Preoccupation is not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. OCD is not simply being obsessed, it's also about compulsions. It sounds obvious when you say it that way, but it's amazing how many people forget that.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Preoccupation is not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. OCD is not simply being obsessed, it's also about compulsions. It sounds obvious when you say it that way, but it's amazing how many people forget that.
    I understand what both of them are. Trust me. You do not know my medical history.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It's good and bad.

Personally, I did calorie counting 2 years ago and got really obsessive. I ended up losing 40 pounds....and then gradually putting 20 back on.

I'm counting calories again now, but have to remind myself to listen to my body. If I'm hungry, I'm going to eat something. If I'm not, I won't force myself. It's not the end of the world if I don't hit the same number every day.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I understand what both of them are. Trust me. You do not know my medical history.
    Gotcha. I would venture to guess, though, that the other 98% using the term "OCD" here are using it incorrectly -- and are referring to simple "obsession" or "preoccupation".
  • Jorra
    Options

I'm sorry for whatever you have had to deal with in your life. I trust you understand why I do not approve of such light use of a very serious term. I just want people to be aware of what they are saying because I'm sure the majority of the people in this thread do not currently suffer from OCD, and I sincerely hope they do not suffer from ED.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I find it funny that the comment I came to make on this thread was already said? As someone who suffers from OCD and GAD people throwing around that term really bothers me. :)
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am very OCD about counting my calories, but I enjoy it. :O)
  • I keep a small electronic scale in my handbag that comes with me to work, shopping in the car, whereever food may be consumed. I never want to underestimate or over estimate how much I am eating. Otherwise what is the point?

You are all as commited to your progress as you wish to be. The more determined and focused you are, the more likely you are to succeed. You are all incredible people taking the steps to help yourselves and those around you.

Never Ever Doubt or change yourselves just because you think you are different or weird. Its never true.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

You enjoy I. Therefore you do not have OCD which os a disorder. A disorder causes difficulty in two or more areas of functioning
    It causes distress for the person suffering and the people who care about them. The obsessions are not logical and the person knows it yet cannot stop the thoughts.

Extreme actions to monitor food intake, which some of you have discussed is in the eating disorder family
    Pro ED posts are supposed to be against the rules here. Cutesifying the behavior with haha I'm so ocd! doesn't change this into a benign r ok discussion.
  • Jorra
    Options

This is a perfect example of why you should read the entire thread before responding.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    This is a perfect example of why you should read the entire thread before responding.
    (sad trombone)
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im like this. also with my food scales if I want 100gs and its 102grams then I have to take some off so its straight on 100!