MFP = life ruiner?

Options
124»

Replies

• Vivian_Phoenix
    Options
    I think a smart idea is to just write the food down on paper or something and then track it all at once, that way you limit your time using the calorie counter.
    I dont track my calories religiously, but i enjoy tracking my exercise and giving and receiving positive feedback...that is mainly why I use MFP, for community.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    MFP is a tool. Would you use a hammer if you didn't need it? Would you want one around for when you do?

"LIKE"
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't feel like MFP is a life ruiner. I could not have gotten to my goal weight without it but I do sometimes feel like I 'm obsessed about recording my calories and fitness each day. But there are much worse things to be obsessed with and I plan to continue to use MFP even if I fall off the wagon at times.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. Would you use a hammer if you didn't need it? Would you want one around for when you do?

This is a great answer!
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Umm.... this is probably why you have to be 18 yrs. or older to join.

I have a lot to say, but I'm biting my tongue.

I'm 29. I'm not a child. feel free to say whatever you want.
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    People, be nice! This is a legit question! I get obsessive about counting, too.

Someone posted the website canyoustayfordinner.com and I read through it and found it really inspirational to answer your questions about maintenance and eating.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks are focusing far too much on the title you used, and not the question you posed.

When one stops relying on MFP, if ever, is a valid question. I think we all know that we can stop using it whenever we want, but when are we beyond the point of needing it? Simple question, and valid for discussion, I think. Personally, it's my goal to be able to wean myself of it when the time comes. Weaning myself from the interaction with the friends I've gained is another story...
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    And to clarify, I am obsessed with this site because it has changed my life. It has been the only thing that helped me lose my baby weight. It has been a blessing. I am healthy, I am happy, I am satisfied. But I log everything all the time. I plan my meals and log them at the beginning of each week. The thing that gets to me is that when I go to sit down to eat those meals I find myself nit picking at the portion size or if I found the most accurate item on the list, etc. I am so obsessive I am on this ap during meals. I realize that's my problem. I simply wanted advice from people who either feel this way also or from people who have met their goals on if they continue logging or decide to stop. I've gotten a lot of good feedback from everyone. I appreciate the answers.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I think the answer is clear....it's no longer beneficial to you, but making you feel constrained.

Good luck!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    And to clarify, I am obsessed with this site because it has changed my life. It has been the only thing that helped me lose my baby weight. It has been a blessing. I am healthy, I am happy, I am satisfied. But I log everything all the time. I plan my meals and log them at the beginning of each week. The thing that gets to me is that when I go to sit down to eat those meals I find myself nit picking at the portion size or if I found the most accurate item on the list, etc. I am so obsessive I am on this ap during meals. I realize that's my problem. I simply wanted advice from people who either feel this way also or from people who have met their goals on if they continue logging or decide to stop. I've gotten a lot of good feedback from everyone. I appreciate the answers.

I think if you feel you are obsessed with logging then maybe you do need a break from it for awhile. Stop using it for abit and see how you do on your own. This site was designed to help people with their goals but if you find it is too time consuming and you are worrying about everything you log, then that is not healthy either. You can leave your account as is and just not log on for a bit and if you need to come back, it's there waiting for you. I guess I thought your original post was saying you wanted to leave but weren't sure if you could/should. Best of luck.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

I think if you feel you are obsessed with logging then maybe you do need a break from it for awhile. Stop using it for abit and see how you do on your own. This site was designed to help people with their goals but if you find it is too time consuming and you are worrying about everything you log, then that is not healthy either. You can leave your account as is and just not log on for a bit and if you need to come back, it's there waiting for you. I guess I thought your original post was saying you wanted to leave but weren't sure if you could/should. Best of luck.

Another option may be to use the "Quick add" function. Estimate your calories after a meal and quick add it and see how that works out for you before you drop it completely.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I come and go on logging.

It gets tedious.

If I gain weight, I come back. You know what to do by now.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to make sure that I am eating enough! Some days I'm just so busy, so I check before bed and if I'm under 1200 calories I have milk.