Do You Know Anyone Who Has Cancer?

Options

Replies

• Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My mom has Staget 4 breast cancer...currently it is in her bones. She was diagnosed in 2004 and after chemo and radiation she was told it was gone, then in 2009 it came back. She was having a lot of pain in her back and hips and one night she went to the emergency room and they did scans and then told her it was bone cancer. It had spread from her breasts to her bones. She went through a year of chemo in 2010 and then took a couple months off when she had a pet scan it showed it had spread to her spleen, colon and liver she did chemo again and after the next scan it showed it was only in her bones. The Chemo made her unable to eat she went from 260lbs, 5'9 to 145 today, but it is not all weight she lost alot of muscle. Recently the doctor wanted her to take a break from chemo again since it was making her so sick and instead put her on Faslodex which is a injection that is given that is supposed to slow down the production of estrogen since her cancer is estrogen fed. She is unable to work and I probably only have at the most 5 years left so i cherish everytime I spend with her. She is 63 and I am 29. She is my mom and I love her. Every year we do the Susan G. Komen walk for the cure in support of her battle. She lost her mom to breast cancer that had spread to her liver. I can't imagine my life without my mom so to everyone who has lost theirs i am sorry for your loss and I admire your strength. I do not wish cancer on my worst enemy.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I lost my mother November 4, 2002. I was two months pregnant with my second child at the time- I found out I was expecting a couple of days before she found out her cancer was terminal. She died not knowing that there was a grandbaby on the way :brokenheart: She passed away from cervical cancer, which is very treatable if caught early.

However, she didn't have health insurance and could not qualify for state aid because she made too much money (by $8/month). By the time she found a doctor that would work out a payment plan, it was too late. Ladies, (and men, too, for that matter) please please PLEASE get your checkups when you're supposed to.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of my mother and wish she was still here. She left a void in my life that won't be filled until I get to Heaven and see her again.
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My mom passed away on March 2, 2010… she had esophageal cancer. She was going strong and took to the chemo and radiation treatments remarkably well. We thought she had it beat but unfortunately it ended up spreading to her stomach. At that point there was nothing we could do; she was given a month to live. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about her and wish that she was still here with us. It’s something I will never understand.
    On a brighter note… my grandmother, now 97 years old, beat cancer not once, but twice in her younger days (I’m guessing in the 1960s). My uncle was diagnosed with colon cancer last year but luckily, the cancer was removed through surgery.
    Pray for a cure!
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Cancer doesn't run in my family...it gallops.

Every person on my mom's side of the family, as far back as my great great grandparents (with the exception of only my aunt and my uncle), died of some form of cancer. I was holding my grandmother's hand when she died of cancer. She was diagnosed on my 14th birthday, and six months later, on St. Patrick's Day, she was gone.

My grandmother, on my dad's side, also died of cancer.

I had a cancer scare years later, on St. Patrick's Day.

My best friend is currently fighting his 3rd battle against liver cancer (he's not a drinker). It's now attacking his kidney and lymph system. His father died last year of the same type of cancer, and his brother was diagnosed earlier this summer with the same type of cancer.

I HATE CANCER!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The day after my husband said he 'never felt better' he was diagnosed with multiple brain tumours, and died 18 months later (3 years ago).

Last year my 19 year old son was diagnosed with stage 2 testicular cancer. After chemo a mass was left in his abdomen that was taken out in a very scary surgery. He only missed a handful of days of university, and passed 2nd year with first class honours. He is the bravest most stoic person I know. The chemo made his epilepsy worse, but he has such faith that he just believed everything would be ok. He is just about to finish his degree, and is waiting for the results of auditions to see if he will be accepted into the opera masters program.

For those saying that the people they know who have had chemo have died, that is probably be because they were already too sick to be cured. They now have a very high cure rate for testicular cancer (it was an automatic death-sentence in the 70s) because they treat it so aggressively. I'm very grateful that the drugs are around that could give my son a chance.

Hugs to everyone who is going through this.

GG
  • wackynunu
    Options
    My dad passed away from metastatic prostate cancer a few years ago. They said it was from the agent orange he was exposed to in the Vietnam war. His mom died from pancreatic cancer but lived 5 years longer than the Doctors told her she would. My mom's father developed a brain tumor and died a year later.

I like to think that eating healthy and exercise is a step in the right direction to avoiding (or at least bringing the risk down) this HORRIBLE disease.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I have way too many friends with Breast Cancer but they are all survivors. My grandmother wasn't though. She died right after I was born. :(
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I lost a sister to non-hogkins lymphoma 2 years ago........she fought for 8 years...she was only 57....

Another sister had breast cancer 6 years ago......she is doing ok......

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer October 3 years ago.....Had a total hysterectomy and my cancer was gone.....thought it was back early this year. Had a biopsy and got the all clear......

I was so very lucky that it was caught so early......I didn't even need any treatment.....
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in june 2007. by february 2008, it had metastasized to his bones, even with the aggressive treatment. he put up a fight, but died in may 2010. he was 58 and i was 31. it breaks my heart that he will never watch my boys in high school sports or teach them woodworking or take them on their first hunting trip. i miss him so much.

my husband's grandma died on lung cancer 10 years ago (she was not a smoker). it was very fast, maybe 4 months.

my husband's grandpa died of leukemia in september 2010. he was diagnosed and died within 8 days.

a dear friend of mine's mother died of colon cancer after a brief 18 month battle. that was also in 2010. she was 44 and my friend was 26. she left 2 additional kids, one in high school, one in elementary, that my friend now cares for (no dad around).

cancer is a horrible disease.
  • BloomingLily
    BloomingLily Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I was 12, my father died after being incredibly sick for a few years - cancer.

My sister is a cancer survivor - lymphoma.
    My brother has prostate cancer.
    I have a friend currently fighting breast cancer - two years now.
    I've known 4 co-workers who died of cancer (one was 2 months ago).

I could go on, but I will stop now. The list is too long.

Progress has been made. I have volunteered with the American Cancer Society since 1998 to assist with fundraising efforts for research and services provided by the ACS.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My grandmother passed away from lung cancer in January 2010.. She was never a smoker. :( It was one of the most difficult times in my life.. I was the last one to see her alive.

Depressing blog post about that here: http://erindipitous.tumblr.com/post/1682365303/one-to-go

My Mom was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells in the bone marrow) this past Spring at just 49 years old.. She is now in remission after intense chemotherapy, but it will never go away. :( I've registered my bone marrow on BeTheMatch.com in the case that my Mom, or someone else in the world, may need a bone marrow transplant. To help extend or save someone's life by donating my marrow would be a dream come true.
  • TCWE
    TCWE Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYNOXRifXKQ&ob=av2e

Martina Mcbride sings a gorgeous song worth listening to in regards to living thru/experiencing cancer..
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My niece was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma after being told "it is just growing pains" for weeks. After six months of hospitals, needles, pain and heart ache she lost her battle at age 13. No child should have to suffer like that. :(.

I understand how you feel. I witnessed how my young cousin had suffered from this disease before he passed away at age 15. Note that my cousin was very active in sports even with the disease. I guess that's how life is & there are just some things that we don't have control.

My brother had that, too. He was very ill for months - losing weight at an appalling rate and the doc thought it was the flu. He made it through 8 months of treatment before passing away at the age of 14. That was in 1982.

My mom had breast cancer, and a radical double mastectomy and is still trucking along with various health issues. Her sister, my aunt, lost her battle with breast cancer. My uncle died of cancer, as did both grandmothers. My husbands cousin died from ovarian cancer and his father had prostate cancer. Our brother in law died from lung cancer, my husband and I were with him when he died. I know I don't have everyone on here...so many.
  • garyolson43
    garyolson43 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My son-in-law, age 27, has Hodgkin Lymphoma. He just finished his chemo treatments and begins radiation next week. He did amazing well during chemo. This has brought many tears to my family. I hate cancer, but I know it is a matter of when he's cured and not if he's cured. He is a bad *kitten* cancer warrior!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I moved across country to care for my mother and helplessly watched her die in 2007 of lung cancer.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    My mum , she died of pancreatic cancer within 2 months of being diagnosed in 2007.

She is one of my motivators to get healthy as she really wasn't , her being massively overweight , never excercising and being a heavy smoker all contributed to her early death at just 64 ...
  • bubble79
    Options
    My Nan died 2 years ago aged 78 on 20th December 6 weeks after i gave birth to my daughter.

She was diagnosed on February 2009 with bowel Cancer and Secondary Liver and Lung Cancer. She had been having the symptoms for about a year but done nothing about it as she was dealing with my granddad who had stroke induced dementia. My Granddad died in January 2009 and 3 weeks later Nan was diagnosed with cancer

She under went Chemo over the next 8 months but when she went for a routine check up the chemo had not help and the cancer was spreading.

On the 19th December 2009 we had to call out a ambulance to her house as she was not feeling well. She was arguing with us as she did not want to go into hospital over xmas but a 5am on the 20th December she died peacefully in her sleep.

She is now up in haven with my Granddad and my brother (my brother died 12 years ago aged 21 in a car crash). They are all watching over us.

My mum had a few symptoms this year and I sent her straight to the doctors but all clear.

If anything in your body changes get it checked is all I can say
    My nan died 2 years ago on 20th Decemebr 6 weeks after i gave birth to my daughter.

She was Diagonsed on Febuary 2009 with bowel Cancer and Secondary Liver and Lung Cancer. She had been having the symtons
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is a 25 year breast cancer survivor, diagnosed in the last year with a different form. She also had skin cancer.

My mom is an 18 year breast cancer survivor, a perfect example of why you need to listen to your gut sometime even if the dr is telling you are overreacting.

My father in law lost his battle in May.

My husband had thyroid cancer, which they told us if you are going to get cancer this is the one you want, 98-100% survival rate.

Two good friends lost their fathers.

So any more, I could be typing for a long time.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    My friend 'The Hardman' died in June. He left behind his wife and month old son. He was 31 years old. He was diagnosed with a rare form of skin cancer that went into the membranes of his brain and he died after 7 weeks post diagnosis.

I was diagnosed with skin cancer in Feb this year. I fought my battle and I'm still fighting everyday to stay healthy. I'm now in remission and thankful for my 2nd chance every day. I will pay it forward. I will get fit and healthy. I will make my small part of the World a better place and if it comes back and beats me next time. Well I will go down fighting fit and fighting IT!

Good luck to all of you who are supporting a sick person or who have just lost a loved one. It is taxing on your time, body and soul but so appreciated at the time. I was so lucky with my friends who helped me with my treatment times and watcgh my kids (there are 4 age 4 and under so no easy task), I will never forget the kindness shown to me.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Father died of liver cancer.

Uncle died of bone cancer.

Mom died of lung cancer. I miss her the most. She had quit smoking and 10 years from the day she quit smoking a spot showed up on her lungs on an xray. She couldn't have surgery to remove it due to the fact that she had emphysema, even though the spot was small. They gave her a year to live and she lived exactly 1 year from the week she was diagnosed. There's not a day goes by that I don't think of her. She was an awesome woman who raised 7 children on her own when her husband left her for another woman. She had a gorgeous smile, and a wicked sense of humor. She was my best friend, my motivator and mentor all roled into one. She's the reason I am who I am today.

Rest in peace Mom, I love you!