To All My Ladies That Use Birth Control

Options

Replies

• Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Mine's $10 a month with insurance, that's generic....I used to qualify for free in Michigan, when I was in college and working part time I was "low income " ;)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    But when you compare the cost of BC coverage-- roughly $240-$1200 per year, depending on method-- to the cost of prenatal visits (many visits), ultrasounds (multiple, also), labor and delivery ($4,000 - $10,000), not to mention potential complications of birth that could cost 10's of thousands of dollars... plus having to cover a child who may or may not be healthy.... really, like I said, I'm surprised they don't all cover it already.
    If a business -- which insurance companies are -- believed that would work and chose to do it, great! The problem is when they are forced to do it. When that happens, much like taxes, they pass the cost back to those that are paying for the service. So, it really ain't gonna be "free" in the end.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    (And maybe men..no judgement) Did you know..in 2012 your percription will be free! Under the affordable care act, insurance companies will be required to pay for it!

Only on new policies. If you renew your policy, the law does not require your BC to be covered.

I have 0% coverage on birth control on my insurance, but they do cover pregnancy.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Star light, star bright
    The first star I see tonight
    I wish I may, I wish I might
    Have the wish I wish tonight.

:laugh:
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    But when you compare the cost of BC coverage-- roughly $240-$1200 per year, depending on method-- to the cost of prenatal visits (many visits), ultrasounds (multiple, also), labor and delivery ($4,000 - $10,000), not to mention potential complications of birth that could cost 10's of thousands of dollars... plus having to cover a child who may or may not be healthy.... really, like I said, I'm surprised they don't all cover it already.
    If a business -- which insurance companies are -- believed that would work and chose to do it, great! The problem is when they are forced to do it. When that happens, much like taxes, they pass the cost back to those that are paying for the service. So, it really ain't gonna be "free" in the end.

Yes you said the same thing before.

We are forced to do many things for the benefit, health, and safety of others. We are forced to stop at red lights, forced to refrain from stealing another's belongings, forced to avoid killing someone who makes us angry... and those who do not follow these rules must pay consequences, because of the danger it imposes to our society. Sometimes, we have to force rules... if you don't like rules, your only option is to live in the remote wilderness, or in a country with a dissolved political system and anarchy.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Star light, star bright
    The first star I see tonight
    I wish I may, I wish I might
    Have the wish I wish tonight.

:laugh:

You already responded to what I was saying. I didn't want ya to think I was beatin it over your head...unless ur into that kinda thing..:happy: (aww they don't have the kinky smiley face..)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    We are forced to do many things for the benefit, health, and safety of others. We are forced to stop at red lights, forced to refrain from stealing another's belongings, forced to avoid killing someone who makes us angry... and those who do not follow these rules must pay consequences, because of the danger it imposes to our society.
    Your examples pertain to one person inflicting harm on another, and society having laws to prevent this from occurring. How does forcing a business to do offer something for free compare to traffic signals and laws against theft and homicide?

Is having babies a public safety concern? Why would the insurance companies have to take responsibility for protecting us from this grave danger?!
    Sometimes, we have to force rules... if you don't like rules, your only option is to live in the remote wilderness, or in a country with a dissolved political system and anarchy.
    This nation is a republic, where we elect leaders to legislate (create laws). When we do not agree with those laws, we address it with them and vote them out. That's how we get it done. I'm not going anywhere, Champ!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    You already responded to what I was saying. I didn't want ya to think I was beatin it over your head...unless ur into that kinda thing..:happy: (aww they don't have the kinky smiley face..)
    I couldn't resist! You can smack me. I can take it...
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    We are forced to do many things for the benefit, health, and safety of others. We are forced to stop at red lights, forced to refrain from stealing another's belongings, forced to avoid killing someone who makes us angry... and those who do not follow these rules must pay consequences, because of the danger it imposes to our society.
    Your examples pertain to one person inflicting harm on another, and society having laws to prevent this from occurring. How does forcing a business to do offer something for free compare to traffic signals and laws against theft and homicide?

Is having babies a public safety concern? Why would the insurance companies have to take responsibility for protecting us from this grave danger?!

an unfit mother continuing to reproduce and abandon or abuse her children is a danger to society. which is why i'm all for mandated sterilization when someone has been declared an unfit parent. However, just as making abortion legal simply gives someone safer options, making contraception affordable and accessible for all child-bearing aged women at the very least prevents less safe options they may feel forced into.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    How does forcing a business to do offer something for free compare to traffic signals and laws against theft and homicide?

Because, as you said, everything costs money... including police departments and traffic lights.

In earlier posts, you seemed very concerned with cost, and business, and yadda yadda yadda. Well, there's also a cost to care for the labor, delivery, and childcare of women who cannot afford to pay for it themselves... and also a cost involved in investigating child abuse and neglect. That, my friend, is a concern of public safety, and a cost to YOU as well.

Anyway, I am done arguing. PEACE
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Too lazy to go back and quote people, but anyway:

For uninsured people that are low-income, there are public health departments and Planned Parenthood. Back when I was younger I went to the public health department for my birth control and my income was low enough the first couple of years that it was completely free for the checkup and also to walk out with a year's supply of pills. The last year that I went, I made a little bit more (was working more hours) and I paid I think somewhere around $20 for the visit + 1 year supply. Unfortunately, some people cannot afford to be insured but make enough money that it wouldn't be free or even that cheap even at these places with a sliding scale. That's a tough spot to be in and sad for those that can't afford it and feel it would be their best option.

Fertility Awareness is really quite awesome if you're comfortable with your body and up for learning some new info. Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great book - tells you all sorts of interesting things that your Health Class never mentioned. LOL If you're not entirely sure of yourself, you can always do the charting and use condoms through the first part of your cycle until a couple days after you have already ovulated. It's easiest if you have a really regular cycle, but workable in many other circumstances too. It's not for everyone (just like anything else LOL) but a lot of people really appreciate what they learn from it and having the confidence to forego hormonal or invasive birth control methods.

And yeah prenatal care + labor and delivery + pediatric care is probably a lot more expensive than insurance (or medicaid, or anything else) covering the pill. Side-note, I think there is a special medicaid 'family planning' coverage that may include people that wouldn't qualify for 'standard' medicaid, but don't quote me on that. And even so it still might not fill the gap between low-income uninsured and not-so-low-income uninsured.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    How does forcing a business to do offer something for free compare to traffic signals and laws against theft and homicide?
    Because, as you said, everything costs money... including police departments and traffic lights.

In earlier posts, you seemed very concerned with cost, and business, and yadda yadda yadda. Well, there's also a cost to care for the labor, delivery, and childcare of women who cannot afford to pay for it themselves... and also a cost involved in investigating child abuse and neglect. That, my friend, is a concern of public safety, and a cost to YOU as well.
    So, should the government also regulate who can have babies and how many -- like China?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

For uninsured people that are low-income, there are public health departments and Planned Parenthood. Back when I was younger I went to the public health department for my birth control and my income was low enough the first couple of years that it was completely free for the checkup and also to walk out with a year's supply of pills. The last year that I went, I made a little bit more (was working more hours) and I paid I think somewhere around $20 for the visit + 1 year supply. Unfortunately, some people cannot afford to be insured but make enough money that it wouldn't be free or even that cheap even at these places with a sliding scale. That's a tough spot to be in and sad for those that can't afford it and feel it would be their best option.

Fertility Awareness is really quite awesome if you're comfortable with your body and up for learning some new info. Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great book - tells you all sorts of interesting things that your Health Class never mentioned. LOL If you're not entirely sure of yourself, you can always do the charting and use condoms through the first part of your cycle until a couple days after you have already ovulated. It's easiest if you have a really regular cycle, but workable in many other circumstances too. It's not for everyone (just like anything else LOL) but a lot of people really appreciate what they learn from it and having the confidence to forego hormonal or invasive birth control methods.

And yeah prenatal care + labor and delivery + pediatric care is probably a lot more expensive than insurance (or medicaid, or anything else) covering the pill. Side-note, I think there is a special medicaid 'family planning' coverage that may include people that wouldn't qualify for 'standard' medicaid, but don't quote me on that. And even so it still might not fill the gap between low-income uninsured and not-so-low-income uninsured.

Last time I went to planned parenthood I had to pay close to 500
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

Fertility awareness seems like a cool concept. I admit, BC can be quite annoying. But I am a super paranoid person and would probably always worry about being knocked up. Sometimes I even do now..if he doesnt pull..this is probably TMI.
  • chocolateandvodka
    Options

Medicaid plans, though federally funded, are regulated by the state.
  • chocolateandvodka
    Options
    Fertility awareness seems like a cool concept. I admit, BC can be quite annoying. But I am a super paranoid person and would probably always worry about being knocked up. Sometimes I even do now..if he doesnt pull..this is probably TMI.

the withdrawal method - which is also known as "pulling out" - is something like 70-80% effective at best? i'd definitely refrain from suggesting this to anyone as a sole contraceptive method. glad you are using something else with it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

the withdrawal method - which is also known as "pulling out" - is something like 70-80% effective at best? i'd definitely refrain from suggesting this to anyone as a sole contraceptive method. glad you are using something else with it.

Just for clarity, pulling out is not a reccommended part of Fertility Awareness. ;-). Fertility Aareness involves determining the time period in which you could possibly get pregnant and abstaining from sexual intercourse during that time. Alternatively, some ladies still have sex during that time but use condoms and/or spermicides when they know they would otherwise be at risk for pregnancy. It takes some commitment - you have to observe certain signs of fertility until you have ovulated each cycle. This can include taking your temperature each morning before you get out of bed and observing cervical position, firmness, and openness, and also observing the quality of cervical fluids. There are certain changes that take place in these things leading up to ovulation. The method is definitely not an 'easy out' but it is fascinating if it's something you're interested in. Plus, bonus, if you decide later that you do want to get pregnant, you have all the tools to figure out when you should have sex for the best chance at conception each month. Anyway, point is its great for some people and not so great for others. It's free and natural but requires some research, time, and dedication. No cheating. LOL
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

Medicaid plans, though federally funded, are regulated by the state.

Ah, good point, so that option maybe available in some areas but not others.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    What about those who do not have insurance? That's my big question...

I know in Minnesota there is a Minnesota Family Planning Program that provides free birth control and free paps to women who make less than 1815 dollars a month. Your state may have something similar. Planned Parenthood also has free/low cost BC.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    What about those who do not have insurance? That's my big question...

I know in Minnesota there is a Minnesota Family Planning Program that provides free birth control and free paps to women who make less than 1815 dollars a month. Your state may have something similar. Planned Parenthood also has free/low cost BC.

Interesting... I'm currently not aware of anything like that here in Florida. Generally, the South does not like assisting women with obtaining contraceptives... particularly underage and low-income women, who are the ones who need the assistance most.... we do have Planned Parenthood, though, which operates on a sliding income scale.