Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia?

fit4mom
fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
I know it's a mainly American Holiday but do you celebrate it in your country or something like it? And what do you eat/tradition?

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Have you done any research on the Thanksgiving tradition/holiday?
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    No we don't celebrate your thanksgiving day. We have Australia Day 26th January when we celebrate the arrival of the first fleet from England in 1788..the native aborigines call in invasion day and think we shouldn't celebrate it. It is a public holiday here! But really...From Christmas to Australia Day long weekend in January is party time in Australia!!! Summer, beach, pool, bbq's and family and friends.
    Our other day of rememberance is Anzac Day 25th April..remembering the fallen soldiers from WW1 to the most recent wars...Lest we Forget!! We have a public holiday too and street parades from the armed services in cities and towns everywhere!They say that that is when the Australian spirit was born..out of our convict heritage!
    Hope this helps..
  • do you understand what Thanksgiving is celebrating?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    :noway:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    See I don't like the idea of celebrating genocide and invasion really, but each to their ownnnnnn
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Since Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere, their harvest holiday would be in May, if they have one.

Canada has a Thanksgiving day, but it's nothing like the one in the US. They don't even take off work.

Anyone who isn't American, if an American invites you to eat at their house on Thanksgiving, you definitely want to accept!
  • fit4mom
    I think, in general that tradition is extremely important. Just curious what people celebrate and yes I have learned about our holiday in school when it was aloud to be taught. Just curious. So expound on those holiday traditions.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    I'm thinking it would be more of Extreme Makeover, Deportation Edition.
  • fit4mom
    Since Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere, their harvest holiday would be in May, if they have one.

Canada has a Thanksgiving day, but it's nothing like the one in the US. They don't even take off work.

Anyone who isn't American, if an American invites you to eat at their house on Thanksgiving, you definitely want to accept!
    Very Sweet!:love:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    I think, in general that tradition is extremely important. Just curious what people celebrate and yes I have learned about our holiday in school when it was aloud to be taught. Just curious. So expound on those holiday traditions.

Why wouldn't Thanksgiving be allowed to be taught?
  • fit4mom

With all the political correctness the teaching of American values seems to go out the window in public school and history. My opinion. Sorry I brought it up. Lets keep to the subject, my bad. Truly I appologize. And BTW I am aware that each county within the US is different by protocall.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Well since it is all about aliens, I don't think it should be limited to North America. Just because the pilgram/indian aliens visited N. America first doesn't mean that they couldn't visit other countries in the future.

Though the real question I have now is, is there "stuffing" in Australia :tongue:
  • fit4mom
    Well since it is all about aliens, I don't think it should be limited to North America. Just because the pilgram/indian aliens visited N. America first doesn't mean that they couldn't visit other countries in the future.

Though the real question I have now is, is there "stuffing" in Australia :tongue:
    LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!:love::love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Isnt Americas thanksgiving holiday to do with the native indians and the pilgrims sharing a feast, im Australian so dont know much about it but if thats the holiday then it obviously wouldnt make much sense for us to celebrate it seeing as we werent there and it has nothing to do with our country

having said that though it seems like a lovely holiday any chance to meet up with family and prepare a big feast is awesome in my eyes plus a extra day off nice!
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member

and where there infact ghosts at the alien feast?
  • fit4mom

having said that though it seems like a lovely holiday any chance to meet up with family and prepare a big feast is awesome in my eyes plus a extra day off nice!
    Exactly what I'm going for! Any likewise traditions?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member

Because the Puritans stole the land, brought disease, enslaved the natives, and brutality/degradation thrust upon a noble people, to name a few?

ETA: Not reasons for it not to be taught, but why some countries are surprised we celebrate it.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member

Very Sweet!:love:

We don't take it off work? Man, good thing you don't miss much on skipping one day of school, I've missed it for the past 18 years :noway:

Canadians celebrate thanksgiving, its a big holiday here too. We don't have a specific "date", its just always the second Monday of October.(yay for three days of gluttony)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    No, we don't do thanksgiving.......It's very close to Christmas isn't it?
    Someone in the house must be doing a lot of preparation in those 4 weeks.
    Christmas and Boxing day is enough temptation for this little black duck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member

Because the Puritans stole the land, brought disease, enslaved the natives, and brutality/degradation thrust upon a noble people, to name a few?

ETA: Not reasons for it not to be taught, but why some countries are surprised we celebrate it.

Yeah, get that, I didn't think that's what she meant, though. Some parst of the U.S. celebrate Columbus day and schools are closed. The state I live in pretty much doesn't, at least I know schools and businesses aren't closed but federal stuff might be. Same arguments are made for that day. Just wondering if Thanksgiving wasn't taught anymore, and why, as I don't know any elementary school age children.