Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia?

Replies

• fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Why wouldn't Thanksgiving be allowed to be taught?
    Because the Puritans stole the land, brought disease, enslaved the natives, and brutality/degradation thrust upon a noble people, to name a few?

ETA: Not reasons for it not to be taught, but why some countries are surprised we celebrate it.
    :noway: Lets not go there. Holiday traditions please.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Heather gave you some good info - US thanksgiving is specific to your country, so no we don't celebrate it in Australia.
    We don't really have an equivalent holiday, Australia Day probably comes closest in that it marks the Day the British arriving in Australia but there isn't the harvest festival connection.
    As Aus Day is in January, summer, it's all about barbeques and the beach and fireworks.
  • fit4mom
    Heather gave you some good info - US thanksgiving is specific to your country, so no we don't celebrate it in Australia.
    We don't really have an equivalent holiday, Australia Day probably comes closest in that it marks the Day the British arriving in Australia but there isn't the harvest festival connection.
    Thank you! EXactly what I am looking for! Thanks for your info!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member

You got it. Sorry, had to be "that guy" for one post. :D
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Yeah.. pretty much everything is closed on Thanksgiving day in Canada, which is in October. & our Thanksgiving is celebrating something different from the American version and with slightly different foods. (no sweet potatoes with marshmallows etc.)
  • fit4mom

You got it. Sorry, had to be "that guy" for one post. :D
    Thank you
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Yeah.. pretty much everything is closed on Thanksgiving day in Canada, which is in October. & our Thanksgiving is celebrating something different from the American version and with slightly different foods. (no sweet potatoes with marshmallows etc.)

So what would be the foods you celebrate with?
  • fit4mom

LOVE THIS!!!!!!!! Turkey, mashed potatoes (I don't know why but yams)
  • reese66

Canada celebrates with turkey and mashed potatoes too?
  • fit4mom

Very Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • reese66

Very Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind, I googled what main dishes in Canada are for Thanksgiving...
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    I think Columbus Day gets most of the flack as a symbol of the sufferings visited on Native Americans by the arrival of Europeans. Columbus brought some Native people back to Spain as slaves, and his crew was the first to introduce European diseases.

By the time the English Puritans arrived at Plymouth, there had already been enough contact that there were Native Americans who spoke English well enough to communicate with them.

The US Thanksgiving celebrates their first successful harvest. A high percentage of the Puritans died the first year after they arrived, as they arrived much later in the year than they expected and didn't have time to plant that season. And the Europeans completely underestimated the winters in New England. The Gulf Stream wasn't discovered until Benjamin Franklin, so they didn't realize Europe was much warmer than America at the same degree of latitude, especially north of New York, when the Gulf Stream heads out to sea.

The Native Americans taught them what crops to grow and taught them useful farming techniques. Thanksgiving celebrates the successful harvest, the friendship between the Europeans and Native Americans of Massachusetts, and the blessings of God.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    :yawn: ^ Im from Canada....:laugh:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Thanksgiving celebrates the friendship between the Europeans and Native Americans of Massachusetts

paha.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    See I don't like the idea of celebrating genocide and invasion really, but each to their ownnnnnn

We celebrate ANZAC day in new zealand as well, for us its not about celebrating war, invasion etc. Its about remembering the lives of our fallen service men, many of whom didn't get a choice about going to war and fighting for their countries. It also gives us the opportunity to show respect for what our service men and woman are doing overseas now, i dont think you have to agree with war or the actions that take place during times of conflict to be able to show respect for those who die or sacrifice parts of their lives for their country.
    Although i maybe somewhat biased on my opinions about this as im an army wife and i work for the army.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Amazing
  • sexforjaffacakes
    See I don't like the idea of celebrating genocide and invasion really, but each to their ownnnnnn

We celebrate ANZAC day in new zealand as well, for us its not about celebrating war, invasion etc. Its about remembering the lives of our fallen service men, many of whom didn't get a choice about going to war and fighting for their countries. It also gives us the opportunity to show respect for what our service men and woman are doing overseas now, i dont think you have to agree with war or the actions that take place during times of conflict to be able to show respect for those who die or sacrifice parts of their lives for their country.
    Although i maybe somewhat biased on my opinions about this as im an army wife and i work for the army.

Um, it's nothing to do with the army, I was talking about thanksgiving? celebrating invading another country, raping it of it's resources and taking advantage of the natives before killing them off.... oh and before anyone says it btw, yes I'm Scottish and Britain was just as bad what with the empire and all, but at least we don't throw a massive party to celebrate every year :L

I was making a dark historical joke about thanksgiving in America, not rememberance day in Australia or whatever it is they do there
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    I'm in Scotland too!

:waves:.

I'm English though, my ancestors invaded yours, took land, forbid you to speak your native tongue... Want some turkey?

I'm obviously continuing the tradition in modern times, being a foreign invader taking your jobs and your women.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member

Um, it's nothing to do with the army, I was talking about thanksgiving? celebrating invading another country, raping it of it's resources and taking advantage of the natives before killing them off.... oh and before anyone says it btw, yes I'm Scottish and Britain was just as bad what with the empire and all, but at least we don't throw a massive party to celebrate every year :L

I was making a dark historical joke about thanksgiving in America, not rememberance day in Australia or whatever it is they do there

Sorry my bad complete wrong end of the stick.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    I'm in Scotland too!

:waves:.

I'm English though, my ancestors invaded yours, took land, forbid you to speak your native tongue... Want some turkey?

I'm obviously continuing the tradition in modern times, being a foreign invader taking your jobs and your women.

Yeah, then we kicked your sorry arses back to Angle land :P

Oh Flower o Scotland,
    when will we see your like again?
    That fought and died fer
    yer wee bit hill and glen
    And stood against him, proud Edwards army! And sent him hamewards, tae think again!

paha. I wonder if other countries have national anthems that are specifically against another country? :L

I'm actually currently trying to learn fluent scots, then I'm gonna work on Gaelic.
    Scots is a lot harder though, as it's hard to seperate the parts that were actually the language and more modern regional dialect.

I'd forgive you for being English, but your people inficted David Cameron upon us, and now I'm seriously considering voting for indipendence just to get out of living in a Tory country :L