Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia?

Replies

• Agito
    Agito Posts: 45 Member
    I celebrate Australia on Thanksgiving. :flowerforyou:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Um, it's nothing to do with the army, I was talking about thanksgiving? celebrating invading another country, raping it of it's resources and taking advantage of the natives before killing them off.... oh and before anyone says it btw, yes I'm Scottish and Britain was just as bad what with the empire and all, but at least we don't throw a massive party to celebrate every year :L

I was making a dark historical joke about thanksgiving in America, not rememberance day in Australia or whatever it is they do there

I'm Irish.

You wouldn't want to be throwing a party every year to celebrate the empire. nunu.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    imagine if the english started having a massive celebratory dinner every year to celebrate the battle of culloden or something. Not sure itd go down well
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    I once stupidly asked a British friend what his family did for Thanksgiving and then caught myself and apologized. He said "no no we're quite happy to celebrate ridding ourselves of religious extremists" BTW he's right.

And it isn't just that they got there late. They were also wholly unprepared and dopey. My ancestor, Mr.Mullins brought a large quantity of shoes but not a single shovel, hoe, or axe. Go team. Maybe that's why his dcendant hundreds of years later was under the momentary impression that it is a global holiday.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    I have celebrated Thanksgiving in Australia when I was at uni - usually we would have at least 3 Americans in our 10-share 'dorms' I guess but ours wasn't like a dorm, it was like a big house with 10 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

So yeah, we usually let them guide what we ate but we helped to cook it. Sometimes they would get stuff shipped over like pumpkin pie filling but sometimes it would just be their recipes with our ingredients. One the menu were things like Turkey (duh), sweet potato and marshmallow thing, green bean casserole, apple pie or pumpkin pie if they had the filling (noone seemed to know how to make a filling from scratch! :P).

Generally we would get 2 blocks together - so 20 people and just go around the table and say what we were thankful for before we ate.

So yeah, that's my experience of Thanksgiving from a country that isn't America :)
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129

I'd forgive you for being English, but your people inficted David Cameron upon us, and now I'm seriously considering voting for indipendence just to get out of living in a Tory country :L

hey, most of us down here didn't want Cameron either :cry:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    most of BRITAIN didnt want Cameron either. Dont forget its a minority government
  • Beeing an Alien here in the US it was interesting to hear , what Thanksgiving is about. We don't celebrate that in my home country, but I love the tradition here in the US, that family comes together (as long as they don't argue with each other, lol) and enjoy a nice dinner. I have a 24 pound Turkey sitting in the fridge and still no idea, how to fix that big *kitten*.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    'm actually currently trying to learn fluent scots, then I'm gonna work on Gaelic.
    Scots is a lot harder though, as it's hard to seperate the parts that were actually the language and more modern regional dialect.
    Unless ye were locked in midden with only the BBC fer company, ye already speak Scots if ye've lived yer hale life amongst em.

Scots is a living leid an ye cannae split the ancient and modern. I grew up in Ayrshire but ma folks are aw Buddies so it's annay natural that things git a wee bit mixed.

Mairs the point, the English actually speak oor leid an nae the other way aroun. An we're a mongrel folk if ever there was. Norse and Normans, Angles and Saxons, Celts and Romans. There's nae such thing as a true Scot or Englishman. But it's what's in her heart that matters.

Historical airbrushing aside, I think it's great that a nation has one day when all it's kin whither tha may be or believe, all gang thegither tae tak a cup of kindness and remember and gie thanks.

For the Scots it's Hogmanay and Ne'erday - that's traditionally when we gie thanks an remember absent friends... although the young'ens dinnae always see it that way noo. It's just another night tae get blootered, whit's a pity! Funny that I had tae come tae England tae rediscover the true Ne'erday spirit :happy:

Cheers!:drinker:

*translation available upon request :laugh:
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    If it is ok to ask how long does thanksgiving go for. are all the shops closed like they are in Auz christmas day and public hoidays?
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    You mean there are certain foods you cannot eat on thanks giving?
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    I'm thinking it would be more of Extreme Makeover, Deportation Edition.

Good one.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Yeah.. pretty much everything is closed on Thanksgiving day in Canada, which is in October. & our Thanksgiving is celebrating something different from the American version and with slightly different foods. (no sweet potatoes with marshmallows etc.)

Really? From what I know, it's exactly the same. We also eat the same kind of meal.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    You mean there are certain foods you cannot eat on thanks giving?

In response to your other questions, stores are generally closed, but there are still some things open. And it's not that you can't eat certain foods, just that there tend to be some "traditional" Thanksgiving foods, but even those vary - often regionally (such as the typical ingredients for stuffing can vary greatly). I'm vegan, so no turkey. Many people I know will have only ethnic food on Thanksgiving, others will have a Turkey with some typical sides, but also some ethnic foods. So a turkey might immediately jump to mind for Thanksgiving, but I actually know many people who don't eat turkey on Thanksgiving, it's just what is considered traditional, but nothing's off limits.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Yeah.. pretty much everything is closed on Thanksgiving day in Canada, which is in October. & our Thanksgiving is celebrating something different from the American version and with slightly different foods. (no sweet potatoes with marshmallows etc.)

Really? From what I know, it's exactly the same. We also eat the same kind of meal.

Not true at all. Canadian thanksgiving involves sacrificial virgins, followed by a contest of gladiators, then celebrating with a feast... broiled kitten being the main course.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    I like Thanksgiving. I am American, but one year we celebrated with pizza. It was fun.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Duplicate.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    imagine if the english started having a massive celebratory dinner every year to celebrate the battle of culloden or something. Not sure itd go down well

I think England might lose a large chunk of the population, and seriously regret stashing the nuclear weapons up here...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    'm actually currently trying to learn fluent scots, then I'm gonna work on Gaelic.
    Scots is a lot harder though, as it's hard to seperate the parts that were actually the language and more modern regional dialect.
    Unless ye were locked in midden with only the BBC fer company, ye already speak Scots if ye've lived yer hale life amongst em.

Scots is a living leid an ye cannae split the ancient and modern. I grew up in Ayrshire but ma folks are aw Buddies so it's annay natural that things git a wee bit mixed.

Mairs the point, the English actually speak oor leid an nae the other way aroun. An we're a mongrel folk if ever there was. Norse and Normans, Angles and Saxons, Celts and Romans. There's nae such thing as a true Scot or Englishman. But it's what's in her heart that matters.

Historical airbrushing aside, I think it's great that a nation has one day when all it's kin whither tha may be or believe, all gang thegither tae tak a cup of kindness and remember and gie thanks.

For the Scots it's Hogmanay and Ne'erday - that's traditionally when we gie thanks an remember absent friends... although the young'ens dinnae always see it that way noo. It's just another night tae get blootered, whit's a pity! Funny that I had tae come tae England tae rediscover the true Ne'erday spirit :happy:

Cheers!:drinker:

*translation available upon request :laugh:

So many people on thios thread must have read this like...wtf?
    You know that 90% of scots don't even realise there was a language called "scots", not just a dialect, though there is scots dialect which is a bit confusing, but like a completely different language. Really funny reading early letters from mary queen of scots to queen elizabeth, she canny write in English at all :L
    I remember in primary school we had to write essays and stories in scots, it was so much fun (:
    But of course, I had to learn tae speak proper English when I got to highschool :P
    I wonder what the SQA would actually do if you did write in fluent scots? They couldn't mark you down for spelling mistakes or slang, beccause it is neither, and it's not a foreign language either, so really, what would they do....? Might go take a standard grade exam just to find out :L
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member

Not true at all. Canadian thanksgiving involves sacrificial virgins, followed by a contest of gladiators, then celebrating with a feast... broiled kitten being the main course.
    SWEET. This is so my new family tradition!