CrossFit

Options
Just joined a CrossFit gym... Wow I was humbled. It makes P90x look like a warm up. I would definitely recommend CrossFit to anyone who is in shape and wanting to take their fitness to the next level.

Replies

• GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i've seen the crossfit games & those ppl are total BEASTS!! so i take my hat off to you sir!! the crossfit gyms in my area have community workouts on saturdays, so i'm gonna go & check it out one of these days!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Just got back from my crossfit gym! I started in August at 3 days a week, and have been up to 5 days a week for a month now. I am in love :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Search the groups - were are there! Crossfitting for 18 months!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/99-crossfit-love
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    While Crossfit does have some good basic exercise routines, they also have WOD that are filled with lifts and other exercises that most people never heard or and don't know how to do safely. I do understand the benefit of having a lot of variety in our workouts, but the extreme nature of the Crossfit program has made me not want to even consider participating in it.

I am sure some Crossfit programs are fun and the coaches make sure that people are not doing more than is safe, but from all I've heard, those gyms are in the minority. The majority of Crossfit gyms seem to focus more on military style extremism, with Cossfit participants, proudly showing off photos of bloody and blistered hands after a weight lifting routine, and making others that didn't do quite as much damage to their body to get through a workout feel inadequate.

I feel the Glassman guy that started Crossfit is the inspiration for much of this extremism, especially when he makes statements such as

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."

See "Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You" http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

It's sad that something that could have done as much good as a exercise franchise that offers a lot of variety has become so much less effective at helping people with their fitness goals than it would have been without the extreme workouts and tough guy attitudes.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    RachelSNO.....have you actually attended any Crossfit Gyms? I was just wondering as this is the second time I know of youve posted this exact same response...I actually prefer to try something before I have any comments about it to anyone. You do state that the extreme nature of Crossfit has made you not even want to consider it, but I 'm sure alot of people on this site had the same reservations about P90x or Insanity or whatever other workouts are out there....
    Like I said , I prefer to make recommendations about something based on personal experience. Everyones entitled to their opinions, I just feel that opinions are better formed from experience.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    delete
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    don't feed the troll.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Besides what I wrote in that message, I know enough people that were at a higher fitness level that me that got involved with Crossfit and got injured in the first month or two, or felt the program's workouts were too extreme for their needs and left it before they got injured, to think it is something I would want to do.

Just this morning, I heard about another person I know that was injured trying to do some kind of a box jump in a Crossfit workout.

My life does not revolve around jumping on and off tall boxes, so why would I want to risk injuring myself doing it?
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Besides what I wrote in that message, I know enough people that were at a higher fitness level that me that got involved with Crossfit and got injured in the first month or two, or felt the program's workouts were too extreme for their needs and left it before they got injured, to think it is something I would want to do.

Just this morning, I heard about another person I know that was injured trying to do some kind of a box jump in a Crossfit workout.

My life does not revolve around jumping on and off tall boxes, so why would I want to risk injuring myself doing it?

Box Jump- traditionally a 24" jump onto a platform, more extreme is 36" platform
    Simply from a standing position jump on top of the box and stand up pushing your hips forward then jump back down and repeat.
    Why do it..to push yourself beyond what you believe your body can do and what your mind limits you to do
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Folks, it seems the Kool-Aid is flowing in both directions. Love Crossfit or hate it, please leave the sniping at the door.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    As it was stated before - crossfit is not for everyone. If you don't take the time, check your ego, and learn the correct movements you can injure yourself. Same with Zumba, Insanity, P90x, walking your dog.

This isn't a place to go and bash peoples choices; unless you personally experienced crossfit you can not accurately argue your point.

Go run on a treadmill.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I've just done one month of crossfit, and I must say... I really enjoy it, and love the way it challenges me. It's intense, fun, varied, and efficient. I'm still doing a few 'normal' lifting days, but thinking I might try crossfit only for a month to see how I feel.
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to say, I have also been doin Crossfit now for a mth and I am lovin it. I workout 5 days a wk and each day is different. The trainer I have pushes me each day and some days she will do the workout with me. We are somewhat startin to try and compete...even though I am not as advanced as she is...it is really fun. She doesn't have me do as much weight as she does. She has me try somethin light and then will add weight if it looks like that was to easy for me. She is gettin to know how far she can push me before there is any kind of problem. Now with the box thing...well let me tell you I am just tryin to get over my fear of jumpin up on it. My trainer started me out on the stairs then a small platform with a couple of weights on top. I look at the box each day....I can't wait till I can jump on it with no fear. Cross your fingers for me everyone. Everyone is right though you either love it or hate it...Let me tell you I am lovin every min of it. :D
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    RachelSNO.....have you actually attended any Crossfit Gyms? I was just wondering as this is the second time I know of youve posted this exact same response...I actually prefer to try something before I have any comments about it to anyone. You do state that the extreme nature of Crossfit has made you not even want to consider it, but I 'm sure alot of people on this site had the same reservations about P90x or Insanity or whatever other workouts are out there....
    Like I said , I prefer to make recommendations about something based on personal experience. Everyones entitled to their opinions, I just feel that opinions are better formed from experience.

I have nothing to say about Crossfit (I've heard the term but I've not looked into it) but I have to disagree with the premise that you have to have experienced something in order to have certain opinions about it. You don't have to have done crack to have an opinion about it. You can say it's bad but not that it's more fun than heroine. (Bad analogy but you get my point).
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    . Now with the box thing...well let me tell you I am just tryin to get over my fear of jumpin up on it. My trainer started me out on the stairs then a small platform with a couple of weights on top. I look at the box each day....I can't wait till I can jump on it with no fear. Cross your fingers for me everyone. Everyone is right though you either love it or hate it...Let me tell you I am lovin every min of it. :D

Of course, it's up to you if you want to make something like box jumping a goal (or accept it as a goal the Crossfit organization assigned you), but very few of us have any reason to jump on high boxes during our daily lives.

I have done boot camp type classes at the YMCA, and at no time was I required to jump on and off a box. But if they asked me to, I would refuse and ask for a substitution activity. To me, the risk of injuring myself attempting it -- which would make it impossible for me to exercise or go about my other daily activities, would far outweigh any satisfaction I might get from achieving such a goal. To me, it's not so much about overcoming fear as it is about common sense and deciding which risks are worth taking and which are totally unnecessary. And some fears are very healthy, because they keep us from taking unnecessary risks.

I know people that got injured pretty bad attempting the Crossfit box jumping thing. They used to think Crossfit was the greatest thing ever and they now wish they had never heard of it. One gal I know had been training for a half marathon all summer, but after she injured her leg jumping boxes at Crossfit a few months ago, she was walking with crutches on race day and not able to participate. She is still mad at herself for letting that Crossfit coach talk her into box jumping when she KNEW it was a bad idea.

You might want to read about what happened to some other Crossfitters that attempted box jumping on the web page linked below before you decide this really is a fear you want to overcome.

http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/14417/

And here is a blog by someone that is now facing surgery because of Crossfit

http://theprimordialwingnut.wordpress.com/2010/12/11/crossfit-is-dangerous-or-how-to-love-a-slap-repair/
  • snkeller24
    Options
    "crossfit box jumping thing" ... it's called plyometrics. It's not just a crossfit thing - it's a strength and conditioning for athletes.

The thing with CrossFit is it's scalable to anyone of any fitness level. If you can't jump up onto a 20 inch box, you use the 12 inch box.

There is risk in anything you do.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I don't care what they call box jumping, who started it, or why they do it.

It is not necessary to jump on and off boxes to increase your strength and conditioning. There are many safer ways to do that

Making box jumping scalable only means that the coach is gradually trying to get to you to take more and more unnecessary risks.

Like I said in the other post, I know people that actually DID get injured trying to jump on and off boxes. They didn't think it was a good idea to attempt it, but because the Crossfit coach said to, they thought they had to do it. Now they wish they never heard of Crossfit or that pushy coach and had listened to their own common sense instead.
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm not in cross fit but my trainer has me doing those box jumps. I was a little nervous at first, but you start out at what you can do. I know some people who train with me just do steps till they get the courage to jump. I don't find them intimidating at all now. I've always been interested in cross fit though. I think the work outs that we do with our trainer is similar. I like that it's different every time, keeps it interesting.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Well, I hope you don't smash up your legs and have to go to the emergency room to get a big gash sewn up like a lot of other people did that tried it.

I would NEVER let a coach convince me that box jumping is a good idea!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I would love to but expensive and they gyms are so far from my home. Bummer.