CrossFit

Options

Replies

• midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have been somewhat sore from running and other workouts, but not sore to the point where I'm barely able to walk, which is what I've seen happen to many people that do Crossfit.

Here is an example from a blog post of the extreme, cult like mentality of Crossfit. No normal person with a healthy attitude towards fitness would want to continue with a program that made them feel this terrible.

"CrossFit: Open Source Fitness
    Posted on November 21, 2011

My hands started to tingle. I pushed with my hamstrings and *kitten* to finish another air squat. Thirteen. I bent over and placed my hands on my knees. I could barely breathe. I was getting light-headed. What was going on? I stood up and did another squat. Fourteen. One more. Fifteen. I dropped to my hands and knees. No more.

A couple of minutes passed. I stood up and attempted to stretch. I felt dizzy and had to sit on the ground for a few minutes. I stood up and walked to the open door for some fresh air. It didn’t help. I sat on the plyo boxes for a minute but quickly moved to laying on the ground. This trainer is either worried about me or holding back a laugh. I’m glad no one else is here, because this is embarrassing.

It was October 31st and I had just completed my first CrossFit mini-session with Matt at Survival Fitness. I think it was about a half hour before I was able to leave the gym. When I got home I spent about an hour laying on the couch. My body was exhausted and I felt terrible. But the only thing I could think about was going back on Wednesday for another workout. It couldn’t come soon enough. I was hooked."

then i know what kind of "athlete" you are...only been mildly sore? not working hard enough!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Discontinue feeding the troll. :indifferent:
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My best friend and her dad do crossfit and live by it!! They have both gotten in great shape and love the sense of community at their gym. That being said...injuries can happen doing ANY workout, so just make sure you are using proper form and being safe. My friend has not had any injuries because she pushes her body but knows when to take rest days and uses the proper form at all times. I really wanted to try crossfit but unfortunately tore my rotater cuff doing the 30 day shred (like I said...injuries can happen at in ANY workout) when it heals I may give it a try, but as of right now I can't lift weights at all so crossfit isn't right for my body at the moment. But if you can stick with it, you really can get excellent results.

Oh and one more thing! Crossfit isn't the final answer, you still have to eat well, as they say "You can't outwork a bad diet".
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

LOVE this...I have a thing for Captain Picard :blushing:
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    http://michaelashcroft.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/2-week-beginner-cf-program.pdf

I'm going to give this a go after reading all the great experiences I have read about on this thread. Bob Harper raves about cross fit and if its good enough for him.....swoon!
    I guess I don't have anything to lose and not one box jump in sight, even sno-blower can't find fault in this I think. If anyone else fancies complementing their workout by giving this a trail I'd love to hear how you get on with this at home version.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Crossfit was intentionally designed to get people addicted to coming back to the "box" and spending more money.

But it's no better than any other fitness system, and worse than most because of it's extreme workouts.
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    This example of crossfit workout is free. You can get any of them on youtube and for a lot of the workouts you don't need equipment. Nearly all of the exercises are similar to any bootcamp, biggest loser or circuit training workouts but set up in a fun way so you don't get bored.
    Many of the people who are doing the workouts at the gym use the classes to complement their other workouts and I don't see that they are at more risk of injury than they are at risk of death by doing nothing.
    I'd rather spend 6 weeks strapped up because of a crossfit, horseriding, skiing, cycling, running injury than explain to my kids that I am dying of heart disease, diabeties, obesity because someone put me off trying something new by posting negativity about it on a forum full of strangers. That I listened to their opinion made up from zero personal experience instead of getting out there and giving it a go and making an opinion and a change for myself.
    Also, which exercise programme was not designed to appeal to the masses? To try to get people addicted?
    I also think that sometimes we need a bit of extreme. It was our search for all things comfortable that got most of us unfit and unhealthy in the first place wasn't it?
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    It is a unhealthy addiction when you work out so hard that you can barely move and will be sore for days, then can't wait to do it again.

Crossfit is worse than a lot of other fitness programs because the workouts are so extreme and include so many different elements that most people probably don't have the correct form to do -- all those olympic lifts, etc.

Some variety in an exercise program is fine, but you don't need to have exercise moves that hardly anyone outside of Crossfit has ever heard of.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    You get the last word, RachelSNO job. We know you don't like Cross Fit, cults, military style extremism, elitist, "Pukey," Cross Fit Kool-Aid because it is addictive, blistered or bloody hands, people who engage in Cross Fit that don't have adequate health insurance, people who spend their money on Cross Fit when they should be exercising for free at the YMCA, other members who call you an idiot because it is against MFP rules, Paleo, people who make the decision to have gastric bypass surgery instead of joining the YMCA, people who follow the HGC diet instead of joining the YMCA, and on and on. Did I miss anything?

I hear the telephone ringing. It is the YMCA on line 2. They are ready for your dance class, you elite athlete!

End of play time. I don't spar with opponents that are lesser equipped than I am.

Hugs~

P.S. I may be 61, but you have CONVINCED me I have to join a Cross Fit class!
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    I will happily trade it for any of my previous unhealthy addictions to be honest. These include junk food, diet sodas, smoking, drinking, high sugar intake and feeding the trolls.

Must be bedtime then.

I have such a lovely crossfit at home workout planned for tomorrow I will be nodding off to sleep thinking about it. Easy for me though I guess since my husbands father is an orthapedic surgeon so he should be able to fix most things if on the off chance you opinion is more than just what the odor suggests. Bonne nuit.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    If you end up in the emergency room from doing some of those crazy Crossfit stunts, you won't think your comments are nearly as funny as you do now.

And yes, you did miss some things.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    OMG give it up!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Greg Glassman is the main reason I refuse to have anything to do with Crossfit.

He admits that his workouts can kill people, and apparently, sees nothing wrong with that.

Please read this eye opening article from the NY Times before you continue to promote Crossfit as if it was something positive.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • 4thehardman
    Options
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :yawn:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

He admits that his workouts can kill people, and apparently, sees nothing wrong with that.

Please read this eye opening article from the NY Times before you continue to promote Crossfit as if it was something positive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Are you his ex wife?:bigsmile:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i don't understand how any one work out can be more addicting then others? i know plenty of people that are addicted to running. their are people out there (yours truely included) that feel better after a work out. this is no different then when Joseph Pilates came up with a new form of exercise (i'll give you three guesses to what he invented).

any person that is passing out in the middle of a work out is probably going way outside of their comfort zone. it is no different then a runner adding more miles on to their run before they are ready, and putting themselves out of commision for a week, or meeting pukey.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Are you his ex wife?:bigsmile:

you know... it kind of makes sense now...
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    No, I never met the Glassman guy, but any fitness instructor that says their workouts can kill people, but expect people to do them anyway, must have a few screws loose .

Crossfit creates addiction in many ways. Here are a few to start with

1.Convincing people that a Crossfit workout is better than anything else, when there is absolutely no evidence of that being the case. Making participants believe that if they leave Crossfit, they will never become as fit as they could be. Making people believe that Crossfit will do for them what no other exercise program could possibly do.

2. Making it about Crossfit community. While admittedly, a lot of fitness franchises could do a better job of creating community within their exercise classes, community would not give me reason to join or stay in an exercise program I found too extreme or didn't like. But it would some people -- especially those who do not feel they have community. That is how cults often recruit members -- by promising people who have no real feeling of community in life that their organization will give them what they always wanted.

3. Making participants feel they have failed their Crossfit community if they do not show up for the WOD, and being encouraged to feel that way about others in the "box" -- which keeps everyone in the box feeling obligated to come to workouts.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    ya ya ya a simple NO would suffice!
    Girlfriend-find something better to do with your time- anything other than Crossfit of coarse!
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, traducement, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image. This can be also any disparaging statement made by one person about another, which is communicated or published. It is usually a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).

I'm sure Glassman would appreciate it if you keep the name calling to a minimum, due to your lack of experience/education.

Why is exercise addicting? It's called endorphins - it doesn't matter what it is ... some people get that release from boxing, running, rowing, crossfitting, what have you ... THAT'S WHY THEY KEEP GOING BACK FOR MORE! Those little chemicals are released in your brain and make you a happy person.

I'm pretty sure her next platform is going to bash MMA/Boxing athletes. Talk about insurance co-pays.

Pukie ... have yet to meet pukie officially in a WOD, but let me tell you - highschool basketball ... met pukie a few times running suicides over and over again. Want to bash highschool/college sports too? How about the countless PT sessions the men and women of our military have been through that have caused them to puke, DI yells at them to get moving, calls them a worthless POS ...