CrossFit

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is overpriced, dangerous hype.

You're better off with the YMCA, Planet Fitness, or something like that. Or if you can afford it, a personal trainer. If not, there are always good workout DVDs.

"Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You" from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    RachelSNO.....have you actually attended any Crossfit Gyms? I was just wondering as this is the second time I know of youve posted this exact same response...I actually prefer to try something before I have any comments about it to anyone. You do state that the extreme nature of Crossfit has made you not even want to consider it, but I 'm sure alot of people on this site had the same reservations about P90x or Insanity or whatever other workouts are out there....
    Like I said , I prefer to make recommendations about something based on personal experience. Everyones entitled to their opinions, I just feel that opinions are better formed from experience.

what he said!
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I wish we had a CrossFit gym here. The closest one is in Rogers, which is about 2 hours away.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I am a runner, and I know some runners that decided to try Crossfit as a way of cross training. These were not weekend joggers, but people that run half marathons and marathons. Most quickly decided the Crossfit program’s workouts were too extreme for them. The WODs were making them too sore to do their best running. So they decided to go back to working with a personal trainer.

A few other runners decided to stick with Crossfit and see if they could get used to the workouts to the point they were not feeling so sore. Unfortunately, both got injured doing Crossfit WOD, and as a result, were not able to compete in some races they really wanted to run. After that, they also decided that doing Crossfit was counterproductive to their running goals.

So regardless of what the Crossfit leaders say, Crossfit does not always help people with their fitness goals. Sometimes it debilitates them with brutal workouts and sidelines them with injuries.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    CrossFit rocks!!! Jus' Say'n! I have done P90X (man aerobics to CF-Lol) & Zumba and I love participating in a multitude of sports & activities... Different strokes for different folks. Some people run, others bike, swim, lift weights, rock climb, scuba dive, ski, wake board, etc. We're all different, that's what makes it interesting! Anyone can get hurt doing any kind of activity, some sports are more dangerous than others; that's life! I say do whatever makes you happy & don't knock the other guy just because they like something different than you do! :happy:
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    If you do Crossfit, I hope you have really good health insurance. Because sooner or later, one of their extreme workouts will likely land you in the emergency room.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I thank you for your concern and I do in fact have excellent health insurance, thanks for caring! I also have an extensive background in physical therapy and I have an extremely knowledgeable (he has a degree in Exercise Science & Wellness) box owner/trainer who is adamant about proper technique & avoidance of injury. CrossFit also STRONGLY encourages modification & substitutions whenever necessary. Just because there are some negative examples/outcomes, doesn't mean that it applies to everyone. If you don't like or agree with it, just don't do it... Simple. Good luck with your endeavors in whatever sport or activity you so choose.
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you there about how everyone does what they like and everyone is different. I have to say I have done the whole just running thing and I get tired of it. But with Crossfit, it is something different everyday and it keeps me wantin more. Just because I have a fear of somethin, does not mean I should not try to over come it. Like others have said you can get injured in anything you do. Cooking (burns, cuts), Walkin (slipin), Sleepin (fall off the bed, back or neck sore), typin on the computer (crampin in your wrist or fingers), Drivin (accedents). No matter what you do in life there is always a rist of injury. But it does not stop us from livin and tryin new things. So if we always have a fear and don't try to overcome it, then we will never learn and grow as individuals. By my goal bein the box jump thing (I know not the right wordin, but I like it...lol) it will help me to over come my fear and know that I can do just about anything I put my mind to. I really enjoy what I am doin and I know that there is a risk each day, but that is why my trainer is teachin me the right way to do it, to prevent injury as much as possible. I also really enjoy it and it is somethin I can take home with me and share with my family. So no matter how negative anyone is about this, it will not stop me from reachin my goals and doin what I want to do to better myself and my life. Love all the possatives that people do put out there.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Running is only one thing I do. I do weight classes, kickboxing class, dance classes and some other things at the YMCA There are many ways to cross train, grow as individuals, challenge yourself, etc that do no involve paying money to the Crossfit organization.

While Crossfit talks about safety and modification, and some Crossfit coaches may be safe and responsible, the "do it or die trying" attitude" is very prevalent in the Crossfit organization, especially after people are finished with the beginner classes and graduate into the regular workouts. When pictures of blistered, bloody hands are posted on Crossfit websites and Facebook pages as "badges of honor," I know it's a place I would not want to spend my time and money

Besides, I refuse to take my marching orders ( workout instructions) from a character like Glassman that makes statements like this one, quoted from the NY Times article, Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."

Again, for most people, box jumping has no practical value, so why not find a goal to achieve or a fear to overcome that really does make a difference in your life?
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    CrossFit can be adjusted for beginners! i am female, 35 y/o, over 245 lbs and i crossfit! We have a CrossFit gym at work and the classes are at 5 and 6 in the morning, however i'm already at my desk by 5, so i miss the classes. I've learned moves watching videos and asking some of the crossfitters i know and adjusted to my fitness level.

get me on a treadmill and i can burn 1200 calories in an hour without running (losts of incline and a fast speed- plus i'm fat) but anywhere else i'm not motivated enough to do anything- however i enjoyed the dirty 30 yesterday and today's workout... and since i can't actually do pull-ups, someone showed me how to adjust and jump up from a 20" box- my arms feel it! i love crossfit... and my treadmill routine!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Running has no practical value either. I have a car, why do I need to run in my life. You make it sound like that's all they do in crossfit is jump on boxes. I've never been (too much $$ and I just don't have the time to devote) but I would be willing to bet a paycheck that they do other stuff too. Also, if these folks thought it was such a horrible idea, why didn't they just say "hey, coach, I'm going to skip this one, mmmkay." I'm not going to let someone talk me into doing something I think is that bad of an idea. My sister played volleyball in college. They did a lot of jumping up on platforms. They called it plyometrics and for that sport it was an important thing to develop. Having well conditioned muscles is important for lots of things and just because you don't think you'll ever need to jump on something is not a reason not to have those muscles strong. If it's not your bag then it's not your bag but it sounds like you're drawing a lot of conclusions about a widespread thing from a few sheep who blindly followed directions against their better judgement at one particular gym and broadcasting that as the way the whole organization is run.

Kickboxing and marathon running can kill you too. So can walking across the street.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I know I've already responded to this thread, but after reading subsequent posts I see the topic has narrowed down on some specific issues and would like to chime in.

But yes, OP, I too think CrossFit is fantastic. Crossfit is my way, but it is not the only way. I go to my box 5-6 days a week because it makes me happy and I derive many things including strength, but more importantly happiness and confidence from it. Some of my friends find this a bit strange, admittedly and do not understand why I love it so much (I'm happy to gush about it in another setting, but that isn't what the topic has centered on in this thread). However, after examining my life and exercise choices, I realized that this must just be something a bit strange about me. After all, I love running and have completed several half marathons and even my first full marathon this year! I know I have no practical need in real life to ever be able to run 26.2 miles in one go, but I like the sense of accomplishment I derive from this activity nonetheless.

Now, onto the debate at hand: the very real dangers that exist in Crossfit. Now, to be fair, I decided I would like to compare this to two other athletic activities: one which I know nothing about, soccer and also one that I have first hand experience with, distance running (half and full marathons.) All forms of exercise present their own risks and dangers, however sometimes when we're looking from our own point of view and experience we miss the forest for the trees. Now, to begin with my experienced form of exercise: running.

I often deal with friends who do not understand my passion for running. They only see its many dangers. The thing is, I go into it knowing these dangers. For example, a 22 year old man actually dropped dead at the finish line of a half marathon I ran this year (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/marathon-death-123162668.html). Two runners recently died in the Philadelphia marathon last month ( http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-20/us/us_pennsylvania-marathon-deaths_1_runners-cool-temperatures-cloudy-skies?_s=PM:US) and just at the end of October a runner died in the LA rock and roll half marathon ( http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/31/news/la-heb-marathon-death-20111031 ). These are only a few examples from the past two months. In fact, my doctor (who is a triathlete and marathon runner himself) encourages me to avoid any runs longer than 15 miles when possible, because at that point, he explains I'm simply inviting injury to my body. However, he also knows that I know the risks (as he's reviewed them with me), and has seen my training schedule. He knows I'm taking all necessary precautions to perform my races safely. I pulled my groin running in 2005 (it was disgusting and black and blue and I could hardly function for weeks!) so I've learned compression shorts are necessary if I'm going to run more than 10 miles. I have to be careful during races, especially due to my past injury, because if I don't check my ego I may decide to be overly competitive to either set a personal record OR to beat the person running beside me. Despite these risks, I've continued to make my inform choice to still run. But those who have never run, beware! You aren't in a perfectly safe sport! And perhaps if you're only seeking recreational exercise to get fit this may not be for you. OR you may love it and choose to do so regardless, which I also respect.

Now, in your endeavor for a form of exercise with less risks, you may decide to play an intramural sport. Some may even choose soccer. However, it's worth noting that recently peer reviewed studies published in actual scholarly journals (not like those sensationalized news reports that focus on the minority as representative of the majority I posted above) have found cognitive differences (for the worse) in soccer players due to that heading thing they do. I don't know what it's called, sorry - I've never played :) That sounds a bit scary! Permanent cognitive changes just to play a game that doesn't translate to real life? While I do not understand why anyone has a desire to run around a field kicking a ball and simply go back and forth (I prefer to go somewhere when I run), I entirely respect that individuals pick soccer even though I know this form of exercise can in fact cause permanent changes to their brain function, nor do I go around and warn my friends and strangers inquiring about soccer about this since I do not feel I can speak on its behalf.

But that's life, isn't it? Anything we do has a risk. So - back to my point (sorry, it's a long analogy up there - but I wanted to be fair and talk about something I have experience with and something I don't), crossfit does have risk. It has unnecessary risks, just like running a marathon or playing soccer has risks that don't necessarily translate to real life needs either. If you're unsure, consult your physician and go check out a free class at your local crossfit box for yourself. Look for a box that has good coaches who are working with members on their form and technique, and not pushing speed and weight over form. There ARE bad crossfit gyms out there - just like there are bad running coaches and soccer coaches. And check out the price. I pay $6.25 per hour session for my group setting personal training. I used to have a personal trainer at the Y, but it cost far more than that for half an hour, so this choice best suited my needs. We all have different needs and desires and financial choices, and have to find what suits us best and make educated decisions. Oh, and if you have no desire to complete a box jump, then don't do one :) The coaches know how to either scale or entirely substitute a workout, but just remember to speak up because you're your own advocate.

I hope everyone reading this find what works for them. I know I found what works me for me - and I'm happy to share why I love it if you ask - and I hope you find what works for you be it crossfit or otherwise.

Best,
    D

PS - @ Rachel - Thank you for your caring concern. I do in fact have good health insurance! I've actually always carried health insurance, even when financially difficult, because I believe life is full of the unexpected... but I actually upped my plan to better insurance at the beginning of this year since I knew I'd be going from half into full marathon training and I should have better coverage due to the risks this entailed! I kept up my plan when I joined crossfit because I knew I'd need it for that also. I appreciate the thought and I extend the same hopes to you as I see you also run marathons and may need the coverage as well.

PPS - I know many individuals have a propensity for the need to get the last word in, especially in a virtual setting. This is of course fine, however this is not a particular attribute I possess, so while I invite replies, I have little to interest in arguing with strangers on the Internet. However, I do have a deep felt need to express my two cent (this was more like twenty) and speak my peace. Best :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    To the OP: I know I've already responded to this thread, but after reading subsequent posts I see the topic has narrowed down on some specific issues and would like to chime in.

But yes, OP, I too think CrossFit is fantastic. Crossfit is my way, but it is not the only way. I go to my box 5-6 days a week because it makes me happy and I derive many things including strength, but more importantly happiness and confidence from it. Some of my friends find this a bit strange, admittedly and do not understand why I love it so much (I'm happy to gush about it in another setting, but that isn't what the topic has centered on in this thread). However, after examining my life and exercise choices, I realized that this must just be something a bit strange about me. After all, I love running and have completed several half marathons and even my first full marathon this year! I know I have no practical need in real life to ever be able to run 26.2 miles in one go, but I like the sense of accomplishment I derive from this activity nonetheless.

Now, onto the debate at hand: the very real dangers that exist in Crossfit. Now, to be fair, I decided I would like to compare this to two other athletic activities: one which I know nothing about, soccer and also one that I have first hand experience with, distance running (half and full marathons.) All forms of exercise present their own risks and dangers, however sometimes when we're looking from our own point of view and experience we miss the forest for the trees. Now, to begin with my experienced form of exercise: running.

I often deal with friends who do not understand my passion for running. They only see its many dangers. The thing is, I go into it knowing these dangers. For example, a 22 year old man actually dropped dead at the finish line of a half marathon I ran this year (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/marathon-death-123162668.html). Two runners recently died in the Philadelphia marathon last month ( http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-20/us/us_pennsylvania-marathon-deaths_1_runners-cool-temperatures-cloudy-skies?_s=PM:US) and just at the end of October a runner died in the LA rock and roll half marathon ( http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/31/news/la-heb-marathon-death-20111031 ). These are only a few examples from the past two months. In fact, my doctor (who is a triathlete and marathon runner himself) encourages me to avoid any runs longer than 15 miles when possible, because at that point, he explains I'm simply inviting injury to my body. However, he also knows that I know the risks (as he's reviewed them with me), and has seen my training schedule. He knows I'm taking all necessary precautions to perform my races safely. I pulled my groin running in 2005 (it was disgusting and black and blue and I could hardly function for weeks!) so I've learned compression shorts are necessary if I'm going to run more than 10 miles. I have to be careful during races, especially due to my past injury, because if I don't check my ego I may decide to be overly competitive to either set a personal record OR to beat the person running beside me. Despite these risks, I've continued to make my inform choice to still run. But those who have never run, beware! You aren't in a perfectly safe sport! And perhaps if you're only seeking recreational exercise to get fit this may not be for you. OR you may love it and choose to do so regardless, which I also respect.

Now, in your endeavor for a form of exercise with less risks, you may decide to play an intramural sport. Some may even choose soccer. However, it's worth noting that recently peer reviewed studies published in actual scholarly journals (not like those sensationalized news reports that focus on the minority as representative of the majority I posted above) have found cognitive differences (for the worse) in soccer players due to that heading thing they do. I don't know what it's called, sorry - I've never played :) That sounds a bit scary! Permanent cognitive changes just to play a game that doesn't translate to real life? While I do not understand why anyone has a desire to run around a field kicking a ball and simply go back and forth (I prefer to go somewhere when I run), I entirely respect that individuals pick soccer even though I know this form of exercise can in fact cause permanent changes to their brain function, nor do I go around and warn my friends and strangers inquiring about soccer about this since I do not feel I can speak on its behalf.

But that's life, isn't it? Anything we do has a risk. So - back to my point (sorry, it's a long analogy up there - but I wanted to be fair and talk about something I have experience with and something I don't), crossfit does have risk. It has unnecessary risks, just like running a marathon or playing soccer has risks that don't necessarily translate to real life needs either. If you're unsure, consult your physician and go check out a free class at your local crossfit box for yourself. Look for a box that has good coaches who are working with members on their form and technique, and not pushing speed and weight over form. There ARE bad crossfit gyms out there - just like there are bad running coaches and soccer coaches. And check out the price. I pay $6.25 per hour session for my group setting personal training. I used to have a personal trainer at the Y, but it cost far more than that for half an hour, so this choice best suited my needs. We all have different needs and desires and financial choices, and have to find what suits us best and make educated decisions. Oh, and if you have no desire to complete a box jump, then don't do one :) The coaches know how to either scale or entirely substitute a workout, but just remember to speak up because you're your own advocate.

I hope everyone reading this find what works for them. I know I found what works me for me - and I'm happy to share why I love it if you ask - and I hope you find what works for you be it crossfit or otherwise.

Best,
    D

PS - @ Rachel - Thank you for your caring concern. I do in fact have good health insurance! I've actually always carried health insurance, even when financially difficult, because I believe life is full of the unexpected... but I actually upped my plan to better insurance at the beginning of this year since I knew I'd be going from half into full marathon training and I should have better coverage due to the risks this entailed! I kept up my plan when I joined crossfit because I knew I'd need it for that also. I appreciate the thought and I extend the same hopes to you as I see you also run marathons and may need the coverage as well.

PPS - I know many individuals have a propensity for the need to get the last word in, especially in a virtual setting. This is of course fine, however this is not a particular attribute I possess, so while I invite replies, I have little to interest in arguing with strangers on the Internet. However, I do have a deep felt need to express my two cent (this was more like twenty) and speak my peace. Best :)

<3
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well, I hope you don't smash up your legs and have to go to the emergency room to get a big gash sewn up like a lot of other people did that tried it.

I would NEVER let a coach convince me that box jumping is a good idea!

I'm a CrossFitter and to be honest. The box jumps are the last thing I've ever thought about when I think of the many different ways I could get injured during a WOD. Actually, the thing is, with box jumps, the only way you get injured is if you don't pay attention. Now, when lifting, you wont get injured if you listen to your coach and have perfect form for each movement. Now I have read some threads about ****ty coaches. For instance, the NYT article about Crossfit. Mr. Anderson who ended up with Rhabdo. That is the coaches fault. No good coach would ever put a newb who hasnt worked out in 2 years with a 44# kb. I get that is your point as to why you think CrossFit is wrong and dangerous. However, no coach is actually forcing you to pick up the 44# kb on your first day. They may recommend it, but if you feel it's not right all you have to do is say so. I did on my first day. My coach tried to get me to do a 55# back squat. I said no thank you and picked up the 45# bar. Of course she was right, I should have gone 55# could have gone 55# but I didn't know my own strength.

The point is you are in control when you step into the CrossFit box. The coach provides recommendations. If you feel you can not complete the task offered, say so. The only way a person gets injured in CrossFit is by their own stupidity and choice.

Solid example: Last night 12/19/11 WOD was 21-15-9 Overhead squats and Overhead Box Steps
    My weight: 65# overhead squat, 30# kettlebell for box steps.

I have a fractured sacrum that healed improperly causing sciatic nerve damage so my lower back hurts 85% of the time, all the time.

On my last set of Overhead squats, my back was on FIRE I squatted to do my last rep before moving to the box steps and I threw the weight down rather than completing the squat. I knew that if I stood back up I wouldn't be able to make the box steps. I knew that my back was hurting, as it normally does during CrossFit (but it has been okayed for fitness by my physician), my coach expected me to stand back up, she demanded i stand back up. But i knew what was happening in my body, I knew that I couldn't stand back up if I wanted to go to the gym the next day (today). So like i said I threw the bar down stood up weight free and proceeded to my box steps.

The point is I made the decision not to get hurt. So when a person at CrossFit gets hurt, it is their fault. not CrossFit's, not the WOD, not the weight, not the coach.

On a side note: Have you ever attended a step aerobics class? That's actually more dangerous and accident prone than box jumps. :) just sayin'.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Running is only one thing I do. I do weight classes, kickboxing class, dance classes and some other things at the YMCA There are many ways to cross train, grow as individuals, challenge yourself, etc that do no involve paying money to the Crossfit organization.

While Crossfit talks about safety and modification, and some Crossfit coaches may be safe and responsible, the "do it or die trying" attitude" is very prevalent in the Crossfit organization, especially after people are finished with the beginner classes and graduate into the regular workouts. When pictures of blistered, bloody hands are posted on Crossfit websites and Facebook pages as "badges of honor," I know it's a place I would not want to spend my time and money

Besides, I refuse to take my marching orders ( workout instructions) from a character like Glassman that makes statements like this one, quoted from the NY Times article, Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."

Again, for most people, box jumping has no practical value, so why not find a goal to achieve or a fear to overcome that really does make a difference in your life?

Does running serve any real purpose in your life? No .. its just a fitness activity that you enjoy.. some of us enjoy CrossFit and pushing our bodies to limits we normally wouldn't try. And actually I don't "box jump" in real life but it improves the movements that you're capable of which yes we do use regularly in our day to day lives. To each their own.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well i really like to concept, we have a couple of CF gyms in the UK but they are out of my budget for now.
    I love the fact you can scale to workouts - infact i used a scaled down version of one today at home.
    I personally am new to CF but enjoy the mentality and varitey of the workouts and look forward to santa sponsoring either my home gym or a trip to london to train..
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    We did Crossfit in the Army!! I wish (begging) they would start one in my area!!!
    Stick with it, the results are freaking fantabulous.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to join a crossfit gym, but I can't afford it right now, and I probably need to get in a little better shape before I do. I've done bootcamps that made me want to puke every time I did them, and I kept going back. I LOVE challenging my body!

For me it's all about pushing limits and taking fitness to another level. I did the Tough Mudder last year, and 99% of those movements I don't do on a daily basis, but the fact that I pushed my body and completed the course was so rewarding! That's what I like to do. :)
  • timtamslam
    timtamslam Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDyxXyf6UU

/thread :sad:

In all seriousness, I'm sure CF benefits a lot of people, but that video is absolutely horrendous. How people can lift weights with such horrible form is seriously beyond me.

I'm not completely knocking CrossFit though, everyone's entitled to do what they want and I'm sure that 99% of the people that "CrossFit" do it properly and avoid major injuries. But as with any program just make sure you're using good form while lifting weights, because you can and probably will, do some major damage to yourself.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    We did Crossfit in the Army!! I wish (begging) they would start one in my area!!!
    Stick with it, the results are freaking fantabulous.

Let me clarify by saying that in the Army we did not do these BS moves that people want to quote. We never had a Soldier get hurt. In fact, we ALWAYS had Soldiers hurt from running (shin splints, stress fractures etc).

And just because someone is "certified" doesn't really mean a lot to me. If you are not using correct form and function then the whole thing is just BS. So if you are doing the moves incorrectly (or being taught incorrectly) then yes there is a chance of getting hurt. Learning to push your body to the extremes is the criminal here.