Worried about daughter in law

Options
124»

Replies

• aarnold86
    aarnold86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would not say anything. I am currently overweight after a knee injury and a baby and my MIL always has something to say about everytime I see her. I cant help but feel worse even though I am working my butt off to lose the weight. Until she wants to change it nothing you say will help...it may only make her feel worse.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am a mother-in-law....you just met her last week? DO NOT say anything to her...

I understand you are concern, but it really isn't your place to say anything. if you just met her, than your really don't have a relationship with her....saying something will only be detrimental to any relationship with her in the fututre.

I am sure she is aware of the weight gain and of her risks. I would just work on being her friend and giving her love and support.

^^THIS!!!

If my boyfriend's mother (we're basically married, but will probably never actually marry) commented on my weight gain early in our relationship I think it would have been hard to get to know one another as well as we have now. I was my heaviest the first time she met me and I KNEW it. I was mortified about it already, if she mentioned it I probably would have cried.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I would just bring it up to your son in private...it is a legitimate concern, but you do not know her well enough to make a stand about the issue.
    Why would you bring it up to the son? Do you think he doesn't know she's gained weight? What would he do about it? It is not a good idea for OP to mention it at all.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    if you just met her, don't say anything.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    didn't take the time to read all of the posts but i wouldn't say anything to her unless she asks you for your opinion. my mother in law once gave me a scale for a gift :huh:
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This is some awesome advice.... continue
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    didn't take the time to read all of the posts but i wouldn't say anything to her unless she asks you for your opinion. my mother in law once gave me a scale for a gift :huh:

whoa!! **drop jaw**

WELL... you should NOT say anything to her. BUT what I would do if I was you is to have healthy stuff in my house and work out videos, and talk about how you will steer away from junk because you are on a weight loss and if you do not need to lose weight say *its a health kick** that way it opens it up for dialog... maybe she'll ask 'does that work?" or even tell you that she is trying something and not working.

Bottom line is that it needs to come from her.

GL
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Why would she talk to her son? When I put on a stack of weight my then boyfriend said nothing. After I asked him if he noticed my weight loss he was quite honest he'd noticed it, but he wasn't going to say anything!
  • CalderaGal
    Options
    I think you've already laid the groundwork my sharing your experience - keep doing that, be positive, visualize yourself as her mentor, continue to be a great example and she will get on board on her own in her own time, just like all of us here at MFP did. And pray! Visualize her at her ideal weight just like you visualize yourself at your ideal weight.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to mention it to your son first & see how he reacts. It might be better to have him say something to her than you.
    Our son's girlfriend is living with us (long story) & I have noticed that she has put on a few pounds due to her bad eating habits & lack of exercise.
    My first project has started - I talk her into taking walks with me & use the excuse that I can't handle both our dogs on a leash.
    After the holidays I will work on improving her eating habits.

Good luck.