Different words for different things

Options
13»

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think this might be regional. Here in Wisconsin, we call the thing you drink water out of that's attached to the wall a "bubbler".

I believe that is called a water fountain.

I think "Wally-World" has spread all over the country now, but the first time I heard it, was from my cousins in Oklahoma. They also say "pop". weirdos. it is a SODA! Oh- and the thing you push, in order to gather your groceries? a shopping cart!

LOL my husband and I call Wal-Mart "Mecca" because we lived a 1/4 miles froma super-wal-mart and it seemed like we were making daily (sometimes more than once-daily) trips to Mecca! Now we just say Mecca and nobody understand what we are talking about. :laugh:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I call walmart wal-fart. I HATE walmart!! Grocery cart, pacifier, pop (soda is so american :tongue: ),

Pâté chinois - I think in english... its... shepards pie? with the layer of mashed potatoes, corn and hamburger. Dad is french and we always called it that.

and then Tourtiere, for meat pie. Thats probably a more common word though eh?

Our iced tea in Canada is all sweetened. When I was in cali and got an ice tea! EWWWWW!! It was cold tea!!

I say oh my goodness all the time.. I dont swear and get made fun of for saying things like that. hahaha

and of course... Like a stereo typical Canadian I do say eh... at times.. not ALL the time :tongue:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    hey canadians: say this word "about"
    Americans say uh-bow-t. canoodians say uh-boot.

LOL

ah it is great.

if Albanians are from Albania, then why aren't Canadians from Canadia? :laugh:
  • Carrie6o6
    Options

LOL

ah it is great.

No no no nooooo!! We DO NOT say a-boot!!! Im south park they say we talk like that. I say about as "ah-bow-t"!! I dont understand where aboot comes from!! EVERYONE i have talked to NEVER says aboot!! YOU HOSER!! :laugh: Thats an old one :tongue:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    LOL they do say that on South Park , but I have heard it right out of the mouths of Canoodians as well. I was in Montana and crossed the border into Canadia, so IDK which province I was in, but they said A-boot, and sounded just like the woman in the movie Fargo (dontcha-know) kind of like the accent Tina Fey used when she was mimicking Sarah Palin.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm orgininally from Missouri and I call it a shopping cart.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I call my three main meals breakfast, dinner and supper.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    LOL they do say that on South Park , but I have heard it right out of the mouths of Canoodians as well. I was in Montana and crossed the border into Canadia, so IDK which province I was in, but they said A-boot, and sounded just like the woman in the movie Fargo (dontcha-know) kind of like the accent Tina Fey used when she was mimicking Sarah Palin.

BC and Alberta are above montana. I live in BC... Its possible some of those crazy albertans talk like that! hahahahaha
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I guess this is more of an Italian thing but I call a dish towel a "moppine" (Even before I knew that Rachael Ray did!)

:tongue:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmm living where I'm living (VERY far from home, lol) they call notebooks (like for school) "scribblers". I call shoppign carts buggies too. and I think "Pop" is a canadian thing. I called it soda once and my guy freaked out at me saying "only americans call it that!" :laugh:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

LOL

ah it is great.

No no no nooooo!! We DO NOT say a-boot!!! Im south park they say we talk like that. I say about as "ah-bow-t"!! I dont understand where aboot comes from!! EVERYONE i have talked to NEVER says aboot!! YOU HOSER!! :laugh: Thats an old one :tongue:

ya I don't even know where that "a-boot" thing came from. NOBODY says that. I have to admit I do say "eh" a lot, but I know a few americans that do that as well so...... lol. :laugh:
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hahaha.. I love seeing the differences in Canadian/American talk. I'm from Saskatchewan and when we went to Disney World everyone laughed when we asked where the Washroom was.. I couldn't bring myself to say bathroom either.. A bathroom is in my house not in public.. I feel weird asking where the "bathroom" is in public. I've also kids from the states laughing at our coloured money and asking how we tell the difference.. I don't know how all green money could be easier to tell the difference.. It seems every time I have American money I overestimate... if only I underestimated.. haha..
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    When my baby brother was actually still a baby, he used to run his skinny naked butt around the house. 'Skinny' stuck. :tongue:

So now in my family we refer to nudity as 'being skinny' :ohwell: :tongue:
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I guess another different word would be Ice Tea.. I get stuck with actual iced tea when I order it in the States.. Up here it's sweetened and hardly has any tea taste.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I was just sitting here and I thought of another one...

You know that thing that you change the channels on the TV with??

I call it a switcher lol I have called it that ever since I was young...I have heard it called a remote and a clicker lol

you?:tongue:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    When my baby brother was actually still a baby, he used to run his skinny naked butt around the house. 'Skinny' stuck. :tongue:

So now in my family we refer to nudity as 'being skinny' :ohwell: :tongue:

like skinny dipping, right? swimming in the birthday suit?

my parents have a weird one- the thing you hold in your hand, to use to play your video games? they call it a "paddle". IDK where that came from. leftover from the days of PONG? maybe? Idk