Ever see those ppl at the gym who...

Options
124»

Replies

• mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    There was a guy at my gym that would head bang while he was on the elliptical or running...lol he almost fell quite a few times.

That is hilarious!!!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    We're always going to be someone else's idiot :-)

QFT
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    at the gym i go to you see people reading novels on the different exercise machines like the bike, treadmill stair stepper, eliptcal machines and worse the machines have home made ledge on them to hold their preshious magazines or book. kinda silly that you should put more effort in your work out and save the reading for your spare time

Well, I'm not really sure why most of you posting on here are so concerned or irritated by what other people decide to do with their bodies, their gym memberships, and their time.. Is it your body? Your money? Are they forcing you to do the same they are? This post thread and people's judgmental attitude are some very real reasons why so many people don't go workout like they could or should. If you don't like what you see then don't look. If you don't like what you hear than don't listen.

As for the reading while on a machine.. I am guilty of that. I was a full time student and on my breaks between classes I chose to go to the campus gym and workout. However, I needed to spend the time also doing my reading for class. Forgive me if I offended you by multitasking. I was unaware that there was rules against reading and working out at the same time. Also, just because someone is holding on to the handrails does NOT negate the motions and movements of their legs. Thus they are STILL getting a workout.

Again.. why are people so judgmental?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    fella at the gym, one of the older guys, loads any machine he does to full capacity, and then proceeds to use it with little to no form.
    Oh, he is working out some muscles, and he doesn't just do machines, but it's just funny to see that the focus of the machine is totally being lost. Even some of the free weight stuff is way off. Not dangerous somehow, but still not good technique for working the muscles intended.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ever see those ppl at the gym who... step into the locker room. Look at all the space and lockers available, but still got park right next to you, and expect you to step aside a little so they can unpack, or fix themselves.

Also the guys who for some reason can only pee in the stall and never the urinal, and hit everything except for the water with the seat down.

The types who fill up their gallon jug while feeling fresh at the fountain, as your gasping/panting dying for a drink of water. ( I carry a 24oz) but I see it.

The ones who drop all their personal belongings around the only dip station on the floor as if to claim their land. It's a freakin dip station! you can rotate...it's not a machine, and no weight adjustment required! just step aside with your junk for a second while you recover.

There's always the one who passes gas in the treadmill area.

The people who get one last smoke outside the gym before going in...disgusting. and they bring that stench in and try to post up next to you. get the hell outta here

High school kids that run in a pack of 4+ with their eye's wondering around the gym in an indescrete manner and talking about senseless BS while taking up space, and just being a distraction ( I become use to breaking these kids up while posing as a jerkish gym jock myself demanding they use it or move so I could get in)

The people in the gym that are hawking over you waiting to get on your station, but refuse to work in with you. Your just warming up, short rest, working seriously, and not even messing with your phone. but they would rather stand for minutes at a time. Hello you just lost your pump from your previous station as you've been standing there watching me.

Arriving members who circle the parking structure for 10 minutes just waiting or looking for an up close parking spot so they don't have to walk to far to the front door of the gym..What?!?!? Really?!

People who slam weights, whatever it is barbells, plate loaded, or machines with pins. Hey look at me! My weight is so heavy that I must slam it. It takes greater effort to reverse the momentum of a weight in motion while suspended, than for a weight to slam to a complete stop before reversing it's path. The same applies to bouncing a barbell off your chest in a press exercise. I't ok...but only before failure. I can stack an extra 25 - 30 lbs to my bar if I choose to bounce.

Excuse the overload. This thread just got me heated reading through it. I better save some for others.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    at the gym i go to you see people reading novels on the different exercise machines like the bike, treadmill stair stepper, eliptcal machines and worse the machines have home made ledge on them to hold their preshious magazines or book. kinda silly that you should put more effort in your work out and save the reading for your spare time

Well, I'm not really sure why most of you posting on here are so concerned or irritated by what other people decide to do with their bodies, their gym memberships, and their time.. Is it your body? Your money? Are they forcing you to do the same they are? This post thread and people's judgmental attitude are some very real reasons why so many people don't go workout like they could or should. If you don't like what you see then don't look. If you don't like what you hear than don't listen.

As for the reading while on a machine.. I am guilty of that. I was a full time student and on my breaks between classes I chose to go to the campus gym and workout. However, I needed to spend the time also doing my reading for class. Forgive me if I offended you by multitasking. I was unaware that there was rules against reading and working out at the same time. Also, just because someone is holding on to the handrails does NOT negate the motions and movements of their legs. Thus they are STILL getting a workout.

Again.. why are people so judgmental?

Amen! Exactly my thoughts.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    i hang on to the treadmill... GET OVER IT! it's got nothing to do with you.

who cares, it's not your workout. i'd rather go faster than is comfortable for me (so i'm working harder) and i like to go on incline (so i'm working harder), so i hang on.

also i jog at incline because it doesn't hurt my knees as much? go figure.

i spent years avoiding jogging because it hurt my knees, only to discover if i put a bit of incline on, it doesn't hurt. so i do it (i don't hang on when i jog though).

Eh do what works for you. I find if I run outside I look forward to upcoming inclines because it does give my knees a break. The toughest part of jogging for me is the toll it takes on my knees and hip joints after longer runs.

I see plenty of people who read while running, biking, elliptical - and who cares? what diff between that and watching TV? I don't see anything wrong with it.

What irritates me the most are judgey people who come in and stare and talk about what others are doing. I go in - do my thing and get out. I couldn't care less what other people do unless it impacts me directly - like sit on a machine I want while chatting instead of using it. Or seriously smelly people who must not have bathed or wear the same workout clothes from before without washing - those people I move far away from because the smell makes me gag.... Otherwise - to each their own. They aren't hurting anyone. I don't laugh at people at the gym unless they tell a joke. If someone holds on to a treadmill they must feel it necessary for whatever reason. I'm not a trainer - none of my business.

When I was younger I fell off a treadmill at the gym. I was hungover and dropped my walkman (this tells you how long ago this was!!) I tried to lift myself to the siderails instead of stopping and in my grogginess got only one leg off - hence falling and ending up with a giant bleeding cut running the length of my shin. I wanted to cry - it hurt. No one laughed - and I still remember it, that no one made me feel worse than I already did. I'll never make anyone feel crappy at a place they come to feel better.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    People who want to walk up to me and make conversation while I'm trying to work out. WTF dude I'm on the treadmill I don't want to talk about my Zelda tattoo -_-
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

I push myself really hard in my classes... when I'm on the ellipitcal I push myself for 45 minutes.... Is it so horrible that I like to spend my spare time at the gym reading or watching television while doing the bike or elliptical for an hour or two in addition to my "serious" workout? Would it be better to do this while seated on the couch?
    this! plus, i love reading but dont always have time so why not incorporate both?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Oddly enough....it is possible to mulitask. I take my Kindle on the elliptical everyday and sweat my booty off all the time. I love taking my Kindle to the gym because I can up up the font size as I move on the elliptical and don't get dizzy or anything, and it makes my routine time fly. Works for me.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Threads like these make me glad that everyone else in my apartment complex would rather do cannonballs in the pool than be fit :laugh:

9 times out of 10, there is no one in the Apartment's Fitness Room when I go to use the cardio machines. And I have a weight lifting setup in my own apartment, where I can grunt and bang as much as I want, while playing Opera as loud as I want :tongue:

That said, there are a few things that bother me on the rare occasions some one else is actually in the fitness room at the same time as me:

*If I am there 1st, and I have the TV turned off, I don't care if you turn it on...but TURN IT OFF when you leave after your 5 minute feel good experience on the elliptical! Otherwise, I'm stuck on the Treadmill for who knows how long being forced to listen to your stupid show, and your not even there...

*This was more amusing than annoying, but these two girls came in to use the cardio machines. They proceed to turn on the TV and put on the Food channel...where they are having a bake off on who can make the best wedding desserts...I think I absorbed 4,000 calories from that show just by being there, lol.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    "...I think I absorbed 4,000 calories from that show just by being there, lol. "

HAHA I hate that. Turn off the damn food channel!...Thinking of recipies of yummy crap to make is NOT going to keep me on the treadmill!....OR THE SPORTS CHANNEL. The other day I had a movie on and some deusch walked in and changed it to sports... What the hell. When I'm running, I don't want to watch other people running... that does not take my mind off of running, it makes me want to take a nap and eat a cheeseburger! -_-
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The first time I ran a full 5k distance, I was watching a show about bacon on Food Network. :laugh: I was mesmerized like a zombie after brains...
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    What makes me laugh is when I hear people who think they are soooooooo cool laughing at other people they think are soooooo funny looking. Like the guy who works out in his jeans and a shirt .. perhaps he has nothing else appropriate to wear .. Who knows? or ... Like the girl who hangs on for dear life when on an incline treadmill .. perhaps she has an inner ear problem that affects her balance.. Who knows?

Pffffttt! You people who 'laugh' at others because they aren't as 'cool' as you .. Shame on you! Not cool!
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hold on for dear life as they have their treadmill is on a 20 incline. Wouldn't it be a better workout if they took down the incline and let go of the treadmill, Why do the trainers on Biggest Loser say not to hold on to the treadmill, I'm sure it lessens the workout a bit. These people make me laugh.... that is all!

Anything you see at the gym that makes you laugh?

Yes! This drives me nuts. Sometimes I want to go up to them and say "Do you realize you're not getting nearly as much of a work out as you think you are"?

I can't stand seeing people who constantly walk by, but you never see them actually working out. Even if I just keep catching them between machines, why on earth are they jumping from one side of the gym to the other constantly? There is this one guy I see walking around all the time, but never actually doing anything. Must be nice to have so much time on your hands.

Mind you, in the old Gym I ended up with the blokes in the muscle room - always appeared to be the only femalde daring to work out between them... and boiy they constantly paced backwards and forwards... circling each other... I swear it was all the testosterone... made even me snarl lol (stopped them from pacing anc circling me though.. hahahaha)

I don't tend to laugh at people, I if at all smile. Not too bothered about what others do, unless they start interfering with me...
    although I do not understand the culture of going to a work out perfectly made up - if you work out, you just going to look stupid once the make up starts running
  • insane4train
    insane4train Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The thing that I just can't stand to see at the gym, is those idiots who show up.. do a serious workout.. and don't worry about what others are doing. Who the hell do they think they are??

I've never understood those morons. Don't they understand what a gime is for?? (Please tell me someone else gets that reference.)
    [/quote
    Simpsons love it]
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My feeling is that even if someone is holding on while on the treadmill, or reading a book while on the stationary cycle AT LEAST THEY ARE AT THE GYM DOING SOMETHING. This has to be better than sitting on the couch eating chips and chocolate!

I recall my first few months at the gym and how "terrible" I may have appeared, I would be horrified if someone had started a thread about me. I believe that support of all gym members is far more beneficial than criticism.

I do agree though that respect is the key to gym membership and there are some members who need to be reminded. My particular frustration is members who place the weights back on the wrong wrack, or not put their weights back at all!