A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I wanted to make sure I have this right, and also make sure your technique applies to me, since I have 71 lbs to lose.

I weigh 241 and am 5'9. My goal weight is 170. I would like to lose 2 lbs per week.
    My BMR (according to MFP) = 1,845
    So I should always eat 1,845 calories everyday?
    1,845 x 1.3 = 2,398 gives me a 553 burn on non-workout days
    On workout days, I can burn 447 and not eat back the calories for a 1000 deficit or if I burn more than 447 calories during a workout, I need to eat those extra calories above the 447 back?

Did I figure this correctly? And again, does this apply to me, since I have so much weight to lose, or should I do what MFP says to do? I want to lose 2lbs per week... a nice consistent pace without ripping the weight off too quickly.

Thank you very much!

Hello

I am sure Olivia will be along later to answer your query. I am in a similar predicament to you. I still want to lose 47 pounds (maybe more) and have been losing 2lbs per week over 4 months using mfp way. I am testing this new way out but my major concern is that I probably won't lose as much per week now I am eating more. My deficit per day now without excercise is 380, so over the week this would only be 2660. This is not even enough to lose 1lb. I would need to exercise every day and burn 620 cals every day to get the 7000 deficit I would technically need to lose 2lbs. I can't burn 620 every single day so I do not think I will lose even a pound on this, but I am willing to give it a go.

I'm with both of you with still having a LOT to lose but ya know what, after yesterday and eating "The Olivia Method", I am slowly realizing something: I'm just going to CHANGE MY MIND!

CHANGE MY MIND about ALL of it~ starving myself, obsessing about every microscopic ingredient in food, the anxiety of eating in a restaurant, looking at models bodies and imagining myself looking like that, and my life hinging on the number on the scale each week~ I AM DONE!!

This is what I'm gonna NOW: I am going to freakin' EAT! Real foods in reasonable portions~ a piece of whole grain bread that I CAN"T see through~ imagine that.
    I'm going to: forget any time limits for losing weight, any goal weight numbers or sizes; really, really, REALLY try to only do or eat things that I can sustain for life. And that freakin' scale~ I'll see ya when I WANT to see ya!!

And that's IT.

I felt so good yesterday and had so much energy by simply eating MORE and HEALTHY~I know every day is different but for a woman of my age with MS and the fatigue that goes with it, to feel that way simply by EATING is amazing.

Not sure if you're up for this, Olivia, but do you want to have an "OLIVIA METHOD" thread? It would be great to have a place for your "flock" to meet.
    (I also took your suggestion and changed my MFP to my Maint~ thanks)
  • kerrbear20
    kerrbear20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Olivia

We should be paying you here,

My BMR is 1726
    Maintainance - 1726*1.3 = 2243

so i don't drop below 1726 . And if i burn more than 600 cals i add the surplus to 1726 ??? so 800 cals burned i add 200 to 1726 and consume 1926?

am i right please Olivia.?
  • kerrbear20
    kerrbear20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    oh and i have 100 lb to lose !!! ;(
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi Olivia

We should be paying you here,

My BMR is 1726
    Maintainance - 1726*1.3 = 2243

so i don't drop below 1726 . And if i burn more than 600 cals i add the surplus to 1726 ??? so 800 cals burned i add 200 to 1726 and consume 1926?

am i right please Olivia.?

Yes, set it to 2243
    Aim to eat around 1726 each day, whether you workout or not
    If you burn over 483 in exercise, eat those the extra calories to keep a 1000 calorie deficit. :)
  • kp1205
    kp1205 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bump
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your tips. I think it's important for everyone to do the math and figure out their daily maintenance caloric needs so they can understand calorie deficits and overages. Just doing the math would eliminate the whole "Do I eat my exercise calories?" debate/question. Most of the questions regarding calorie intake can be answered by just doing the math. Plus, the program becomes customized and you own it, KWIM?

I worked through "Olivia's formula" in the book, Run Your Butt Off. It was so enlightening to determine my calorie needs on my own, instead of relying on a computer generated number. My calculated number was about 70 calories more than the MFP-listed daily goal.
  • Lindlee2
    Lindlee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • rmc7467
    rmc7467 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, but I'm totally confused....LOL
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Following
  • rachaelgarcia
    Options
    BUMP
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    bump! I am still trying to figure it out, I am getting closer to understanding though!
  • olivia3263
    Options
    [

Not sure if you're up for this, Olivia, but do you want to have an "OLIVIA METHOD" thread? It would be great to have a place for your "flock" to meet.
    (I also took your suggestion and changed my MFP to my Maint~ thanks)

I think that would be awesome! I'm so happy everyone finds this so helpful. I'm loving setting things up this way and glad other people are too. I'll work on getting an "Olivia Method" thread going tonight :)
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    My BMR is 1295. Multiply that by 1.3 = 1683.5.
    I should eat 1295 and not eat back exercise calories except if I burn more than 295 so that I don't net lower than 1000.

Basically, I should eat 1295 a day. If I exercise, I should not worry about 295 calories of the burn but if I burn more, I eat that surplus back. I would say my average daily calorie burn would be 500 which means that I would eat back 205( 500 exercise burn minus 295 cals I don't need to worry about). Since I work out six days a week, I"ll be eating 1500 those days and 1295 on my rest day.

Right now my MFP calorie goal is as low as it can go....1200 to lose .8 lb a week and I eat back exercise calories. That has me eating anywhere from 1300 to 1800(most days 1730 around) usually. And this is why I"m not losing? I'm doing p90x and insanity. If I didn't eat back all my exercise calories, I would be losing?

Actually, you could eat 1295, burn up to 611 calories from working out, and if you didn't eat them back you would have a 1000 calorie deficit. if you burn anything over 611 you would HAVE to eat them back to make sure you don't have too large of a deficit. If you burn under 611, your deficit decreases (less than 2 pounds a week) but burning your average 500, sticking with 1295 you would still have an 889 deficit. If you were hungry, you could eat more but your deficit would decrease. The only way though for you to reach the maximum 1000 calorie deficit would be to increase your workout to burn at least 611, and not eat the calories back - just stick to the 1295.

So basically take your own personal maintenance number...mine is 1683.5 and minus 1000 = 683.5 and that's the NET number you are shooting for. Do not go below this number. Have MFP's goal set at your BMR which is 1295 for me and eat anywhere from 1000 to 1295 actual calories. Use exercise to get down to 683.5 NET.
    I have 13lbs till I get to my goal.
    Which explains why I'm not losing at all from eating 1100 to 1400 NET.
  • eventermal
    Options
    bump
  • olivia3263
    Options
    My BMR is 1295. Multiply that by 1.3 = 1683.5.
    I should eat 1295 and not eat back exercise calories except if I burn more than 295 so that I don't net lower than 1000.

Basically, I should eat 1295 a day. If I exercise, I should not worry about 295 calories of the burn but if I burn more, I eat that surplus back. I would say my average daily calorie burn would be 500 which means that I would eat back 205( 500 exercise burn minus 295 cals I don't need to worry about). Since I work out six days a week, I"ll be eating 1500 those days and 1295 on my rest day.

Right now my MFP calorie goal is as low as it can go....1200 to lose .8 lb a week and I eat back exercise calories. That has me eating anywhere from 1300 to 1800(most days 1730 around) usually. And this is why I"m not losing? I'm doing p90x and insanity. If I didn't eat back all my exercise calories, I would be losing?

Actually, you could eat 1295, burn up to 611 calories from working out, and if you didn't eat them back you would have a 1000 calorie deficit. if you burn anything over 611 you would HAVE to eat them back to make sure you don't have too large of a deficit. If you burn under 611, your deficit decreases (less than 2 pounds a week) but burning your average 500, sticking with 1295 you would still have an 889 deficit. If you were hungry, you could eat more but your deficit would decrease. The only way though for you to reach the maximum 1000 calorie deficit would be to increase your workout to burn at least 611, and not eat the calories back - just stick to the 1295.

So basically take your own personal maintenance number...mine is 1683.5 and minus 1000 = 683.5 and that's the NET number you are shooting for. Do not go below this number. Have MFP's goal set at your BMR which is 1295 for me and eat anywhere from 1000 to 1295 actual calories. Use exercise to get down to 683.5 NET.
    I have 13lbs till I get to my goal.
    Which explains why I'm not losing at all from eating 1100 to 1400 NET.

No no no. Don't just eat 1000 - 1295 - That's not enough! You need AT LEAST 1295 actual calories if that's your BMR. Set your MFP goal to your maintenance calories (average is BMR x 1.3). Yours would be 1684. You have the other calculations correct, just make sure you're eating at least 1295. In theory, if you have a 1000 calorie deficit, you will be netting 1000 below your BMR, so yes you will be netting 684 - maximum. You can always decrease it a little to be on the safe side - I have been averaging about an 800 - 900 calorie deficit most days as this seems to make my body feel better than the full 1000. I hope that makes sense.
  • mindfulmunching
    mindfulmunching Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump, thank you
  • Mkrug221
    Options
    bump
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like this idea, but I have a question... how do you accurately figure out your maintenance calories? MFP says about 2000 for me, but this site said 2600. Huge difference! http://www.cancer.org/healthy/toolsandcalculators/calculators/app/calorie-counter-calculator

Hmm, this site said 3580 cals for me to maintain, MFP says something like 1750.

xx
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    No no no. Don't just eat 1000 - 1295 - That's not enough! You need AT LEAST 1295 actual calories if that's your BMR. Set your MFP goal to your maintenance calories (average is BMR x 1.3). Yours would be 1684. You have the other calculations correct, just make sure you're eating at least 1295. In theory, if you have a 1000 calorie deficit, you will be netting 1000 below your BMR, so yes you will be netting 684 - maximum. You can always decrease it a little to be on the safe side - I have been averaging about an 800 - 900 calorie deficit most days as this seems to make my body feel better than the full 1000. I hope that makes sense.

Okay, so this is what I should do. Set my MFP goal to my maintenance of 1684.
    If I go to my food tab, at the bottom I'll see.
    Totals
    Your Daily Goal
    Remaining

Using your advice I should see something along these lines...

Totals - 1295
    Your Daily Goal - 1684 (no workout)
    Remaining - in Green 389

or

Totals - 1684
    Your Daily Goal - 2284 (+600 workout calories)
    Remaining - I should see in Green, 600

But I can also go as low as this...

Totals- 1295
    Your Daily Goal - 2284 (+600 workout calories)
    Totals - I should see in Green, 1684 - 1295 = 389+600 workout calories =989

It would be beneficial to kind of bounce around in the three examples?