A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Thanks. Great reply as usual. I burned over 900 cals exercising today and have eaten over 1800 cals to get to my 1000 deficit and not have more deficit. Needless to say I am stuffed! I will need to search the threads to find good ways to snack healthy to bring the calories in line. Tonight I had half a bottle of red wine and a kit Kat. Not exactly healthy. I guess if I plan early in the day to burn x number of calories at the gym after work I can eat a bit more during the day and not feel like I have to stuff my face at night. I am also finding it harder to track my macros if i exercise. I have made a note of what macros I should eat for my 1500 cals but when I exercise they increase and I don't know what they have increased to because mfp is set to 1880 cals for maintenance.

With this method, it is a little harder to track your macros. I have a personal goal of protein that I try to eat each day - 90 - 100 grams. I also like to look at the pie chart option because that shows me if I'm on target with my carbs, fat and protein. If my goal is 20% protein and I only have 10, that means I need to eat some protein. If my fat is in the high range percentage-wise, I might use only 1 tsp of olive oil in my dinner verses 1 tablespoon.
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    WOW....I think I got it...and when I did the calculations that makes a lot of sense compared to the recommended. I'm going to give it a whirl and let you know how I do.

Here is what I'm working with:
    BMR: 1740
    Maintenance Calories: 2150
    MFP Goals = 2150
    Deficit = 410
    Deficit should be no less than 1000 calories
    Never eat less than = 1740

Thanks for the tip!!!
  • olivia3263
    Options
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump... Must read again I am so confused! Me= not good with numbers and calculations :blushing:
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    TO the ORIGINAL Poster! Please help me because this all sounds interesting!

My BMR is 1327
    My maintenance goal with NO exercise is 1790 calories....

I run a couple times a week and on the off days do a workout dvd...

How many calories should I be eating on the days I dont workout...and how many should I eat on the days I do?
  • olivia3263
    Options
    TO the ORIGINAL Poster! Please help me because this all sounds interesting!

My BMR is 1327
    My maintenance goal with NO exercise is 1790 calories....

I run a couple times a week and on the off days do a workout dvd...

How many calories should I be eating on the days I dont workout...and how many should I eat on the days I do?

Ok, make sure to eat AT LEAST 1327 on any given day, whether you workout or not.
    Set your MFP to your maintenance before exercise (1790).
    Aim to eat around 1400 each day - this gives you a 390 calorie deficit on days you don't workout.
    You could burn up to 610 calories a day to create the maximum 1000 calorie deficit. Anything you burn above this, you should eat them back - so if you burn 800, eat at least 1590.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Does BF% change your BMR?

I've kind of been doing what you've described, except for the BMR stuff, but always tried to stay within a 1000 calorie deficit.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Alright I could use some help! My BMR is 1404
    I'm 5'2 and weigh 156. right now MFP has me eating 1380 to lose 1 pound a week. I have 27 pounds to lose. I workout 5 times a week doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS, ripped in 30, horseback riding and short 25 minute runs. Where do I go from here not sure what my maintenance is and in addition to that I am thoroughly confused... Just got over a migraine
  • KaeChelle
    Options
    Based on this, my BMR is 1908 and my maintenance calories would be 2480. So why would I just not set my MFP goal at 1908 if that's what I should be aiming to eat? If I set my MFP goal to 2480, I would be tempted to eat 2480 calories because I would see I still have some available. How do you remember what you should actually eat if you have a different number as your goal?
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I appreciate this SOOO MUCH!!!
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is so cool! I'm marking it for later so I can figure it all out, but thank you so much for taking the time to share this! Love it!
  • codycaca1
    codycaca1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nursenelson
    Options
    Ok.... let me see if I understand this....
    BMR - 1481
    Change MFP Goal to Maintenance (Net Calorie Consumed /day) - 2000
    (P.S. - It feels soooo wrong to change wt loss goals to Maintenance haha)

eat around the 1481 everyday.... unless I burn more than 600 calories via exercise (ex. Burned 800 calories so minus off the 600 and eat 200 calories.)

1481+200=1681
    ??
    ??

Am I right?
    Thanks in advance if you can help me out :)
    Heather

Actually, if your maintenance is 2000, than you would eat exercise calories you burn over 481. If you multiply your bmr by 1.3, you get 1925, therefore it would take you more workout calories to reach a 1000 calorie deficit.

To find this I take 1481 +1000 (the maximum deficit). That equals 2481. Then subtract your TDEE before exercise (2000) and you get how many exercise calories it would take to reach a 1000 calorie deficit - for you (at a setting of 2000) it would take 481. So anything you burn on top of 481 you would want to eat.

So if you burn 800, you would want to eat 319 on top of your 1481 - therefore, your minimum for that day is 1800.

So one last time I'm going to bug you....
    So I burned 895 calories today (HRM)
    So I minus off 481 from that to get 414.
    BMR - 1481 = 414 will equal to 1895 calores for today....? Did I do that right?
    Another quick question...when its my off day I still stick to 1481 BRM right? and I dont eat anything if I'm in the 480 or less?
    This will be soooo weird to be eating quite a bit more! I'm already starting to freak out that it wont and Ill gain!

THank you so much for all your help!
    Who knows if this work everyone that is tried your method could put in a good work and maybe you can career in MFP
  • nursenelson
    Options
    BMR - 1481

eat around the 1481 everyday.... unless I burn more than 600 calories via exercise (ex. Burned 800 calories so minus off the 600 and eat 200 calories.)

1481+200=1681
    ??
    ??

Am I right?
    Heather

Actually, if your maintenance is 2000, than you would eat exercise calories you burn over 481. If you multiply your bmr by 1.3, you get 1925, therefore it would take you more workout calories to reach a 1000 calorie deficit.

To find this I take 1481 +1000 (the maximum deficit). That equals 2481. Then subtract your TDEE before exercise (2000) and you get how many exercise calories it would take to reach a 1000 calorie deficit - for you (at a setting of 2000) it would take 481. So anything you burn on top of 481 you would want to eat.

So if you burn 800, you would want to eat 319 on top of your 1481 - therefore, your minimum for that day is 1800.

Another quick question...when its my off day I still stick to 1481 BRM right? and I dont eat anything if I'm in the 480 or less?
    This will be soooo weird to be eating quite a bit more! I'm already starting to freak out that it wont and Ill gain!

Who knows if this work everyone that is tried your method could put in a good work and maybe you can career in MFP

Oh by the way that is what I ate today - 1895....so I would much appreciate the help on this as I dont want to be eating more calories that I should be by accident! That would devastate me!
  • olivia3263
    Options
    BMR - 1481

1481+200=1681
    ??
    ??

Am I right?
    Heather

Oh by the way that is what I ate today - 1895....so I would much appreciate the help on this as I dont want to be eating more calories that I should be by accident! That would devastate me!

Yes, that should work. If you've been eating significantly lower than this, you might see some water weight in the beginning, but stick with it for at least 2 weeks and I'm sure you'll see a drop. If your body burns 1481 just lying there - if you were in a coma, and you only eat that much - then everything else you do, cook, clean, shower, go to work, eat, workout - everything above lying down is burning more than you are eating, so you should lose weight. And it never hurts to try. I've learned so much about my body by trying different things - and sometimes I gained a pound or two in the process, but I was able to get it off again. Good luck, and keep me posted! :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    BUMP! BUMPY BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!
  • DBTFW
    DBTFW Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ragazza1
    ragazza1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bit confused here,maybe you can help me out (should probably be able to work it out but am post migraine!)

I'm 5' 2.5", BMR comes out as 1203.Have successfully lost some weight and prob not much more to lose but as I am gradually increasing my exercise levels back up to half marathons I would like to know at what level I really MUST eat back exercise cals ( currently eat back some but usually not all)