A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• grace10241976
    Options
    Hi I would like to try this method but not sure what number to multiply by for step 2. My BMR is 1379, I try to work out 4 times a week for 40 minutes each time. I have 17 more pounds to lose. Eating 1200 calories a day is not working for me. I tend to go over most days of the week and I am always starving. Please help to figure out step 2 and 3. Thanks.
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brookeg20
    Options
    bump
  • BrookeMartelli
    Options
    bump :)
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    very interesting thanks
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to try this method but not sure what number to multiply by for step 2. My BMR is 1379, I try to work out 4 times a week for 40 minutes each time. I have 17 more pounds to lose. Eating 1200 calories a day is not working for me. I tend to go over most days of the week and I am always starving. Please help to figure out step 2 and 3. Thanks.

Set your MFP goal to "maintenance" and it will do the math for you. Just eat 1379 every day, and make sure to eat more if you exercise enough to increase your deficit to more than 1000 - if you post what MFP says your maintenance calories are, I can tell you at which point you should be eating more.
  • dezedeze
    dezedeze Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Gonna try this too...thanks for posting!! Need a jump start again.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    Really interesting! Thanks!! :glasses:
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    double post
  • rolyprince
    rolyprince Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    makes sense - ia hve just finished my nutritional advisor course and this is the method we use
    do not go below BMR

for me it works out as the following

BMR = 1380
    MAINTENANCE CALORIES (without exercise) = 1650
    Daily calorie goal for MFP = 1610
    Actual calorie goal = 1400

normal day = 250 cal deficit (bout 0.5lbs a week lose)
    have to burn 750cals in exercise before eating more (750 + 250 = 1000)

i want to loose some weight and was doingthe whole 1200 cal thing and it hasnt worked at all, so now after doing my course and reading this post im gonna try it this way

great post!
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jagoochie
    Options
    gotta say ive only been doin it this way for three days but it seems to work better for me

because i have set my level to maintenance i know that if i go above that cals i will gain, so as long as i am below it i will loose weight (all be it slower depending on the deficit) but isnt that the point - slow and steady wins the race!

i much prefer having it set this way coz i like to see that if my calories remaining is green it means i am not going to gain!

i think my brain just sees this as a posiive thing to look at!

fabulous - and ive lost 3 pounds already lol
  • rure13
    rure13 Posts: 86
    Options
    I'm confused, can someone help me out please
    BMR: 1553
    Maintenance: 1940 calories
  • jagoochie
    Options
    I'm confused, can someone help me out please
    BMR: 1553
    Maintenance: 1940 calories

so set your MFP to maintain current weight - you say that gives you 1940 calories a day

your BMR is 1553

so do not eat less than 1553 in food - but do not eat more than 1940

ideally aim to eat no more than 1640 cals - this would give you a deficit of 300 cals a day (before exercise) which equates to 2100 cals lost over a week = 2/3 of a pound lost a week

if you exercise do not eat any exercise calories back unless your deficit is more than 1000cals

ignore calories remaning and net calories

just use the green calories remaining figure and make sure that is 300 or more a day left, and make sure your food eaten cals is ideally no more than 1640 but more than 1550 (you can go up to your maintenace cals of 1900 as this means you wont gain but you wont loose either)

hope that helps

jenni
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    THANKS