A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I thought you were just supposed to eat at least 1200 a day, not net that. I usually net around 300 after my workouts are added in.

So you are literally giving your body 300 calories of food a day to survive on?

Think about that.

Look up what BMR means.

Yes, you have misunderstood. You have enough interest to do this site, and spending effort working out - that is great.
    Now spend some more effort researching so you don't hurt yourself long run.

People hurt themselves eating too much without thinking about it much, but you can do the same thing going the other direction too.
  • heybales
    Options
    How does one work out their maintenance calories?...........

When using this site and most others, when you selected your activity level.

It took your calculated BMR times a multiplier reflecting avg amount of calories used for activities beyond the coma BMR accounts for.

So just be honest with your activity level under your Settings Profile.
  • tigger301780
    tigger301780 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I thought you were just supposed to eat at least 1200 a day, not net that. I usually net around 300 after my workouts are added in.

So you are literally giving your body 300 calories of food a day to survive on?

Think about that.

Look up what BMR means.

Yes, you have misunderstood. You have enough interest to do this site, and spending effort working out - that is great.
    Now spend some more effort researching so you don't hurt yourself long run.

People hurt themselves eating too much without thinking about it much, but you can do the same thing going the other direction too.

so..to clarify, netting your BMR calories is right? Your Body needs the BMR every day, correct?
  • ReggieOwens
    Options
    "I wish there was a 'like' button for some of these posts :D Ill take your first piece of advice and work out whats best. Im not overly desperate to lose weight so Im happy to experiment! "

As long as you're tracking, it won't be an experiment! TADA!!! It will be a guaranteed discovery! You just have to be as accurate as possible including activity. But yes, don't stress out over it. There's too much other stuff to stress out over.
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Interesting read, thank you for sharing :)
  • heybales
    Options
    so..to clarify, netting your BMR calories is right? Your Body needs the BMR every day, correct?

You are dead on, and your post looking at your stats was right on too.

I don't totally understand the ease of this method compared to just setting it up right in the first place, but oh well.
  • tigger301780
    tigger301780 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

You are dead on, and your post looking at your stats was right on too.

I don't totally understand the ease of this method compared to just setting it up right in the first place, but oh well.

haha yeh true. but hey, it gives me something to do :D
  • tayloni1
    Options
    bump
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bump... need more coffee before reading... let me go log in my extra cup of coffee, then drink it, then I'll be back :-)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    My head hurts!
    Is it burning cals?
  • LouiseWalton
    LouiseWalton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, will try this. Been netting at around 1200 but not losing. Three days a week I do cardio which burns around 500 a time. Weight not even budging and can't feel any difference in clothes either. A few more calories may help if I've not actually been eating enough.
  • hlmoore1996
    hlmoore1996 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump....a really confused bump.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like this!
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for sharing :)
  • xanthochroid
    Options
    bump for reading later
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CindyRx
    CindyRx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I will keep this in mind when I get there!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't know why this is so hard for me to understand :grumble: bump