A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options
Let me start by saying I've been successful with my weight loss journey. I'm 5'8, I went from 190 to 169 using Weight Watchers and then wanted a more accurate (and free) way of tracking what I was eating so i switched to MFP. I then went down to 158 with some bumps along the way - kept trying different things: eating more, eating less - and ultimately hit a plateau, and then gained 4 pounds - eek!

So I went to a nutritionist specialized for runners (as I run typically 35 - 40 miles per week) and I came back with some knowledge that suddenly just makes good sense. Thought I would share ;)

I realize there are LOTS of ways to lose weight and I'm not saying one way is better than the other - but when you have less to lose it gets a little confusing and sometimes it's helpful to hear what's worked for other people - so here it is.

Rules:

1) Figure out your BMR
2) Figure out your maintenance calories before exercise
3) Set up MFP goals to maintain your weight
4) NEVER eat less than your BMR
5) NEVER create a deficit larger than 1000 calories.
6) Aim to eat the same calories every day (at or a little above your BMR) - unless you burn more than 600 calories with exercise, then eat more.

This will allow you to keep a small deficit on your off days, and create a larger deficit on your workout days. You can safely lose up to 2 pounds a week - even if you have less to lose, without being unhealthy and still giving your body the nutrients it needs.

This is how it worked for me:

BMR = 1500
MAINTENANCE CALORIES (without exercise) = 1970
Daily calorie goal for MFP = 1970.
Actual calorie goal = 1600.

If I don't workout at all, I create a 370 calorie deficit. If I burn 200 calories in exercise I create a 570 calorie deficit. If I burn 600 calories I create a 970 calorie deficit.

Anything over 630, I have to start eating more, so one day this week I burned 1200 calories working out (running 10 miles and walking my dog for an hour). My TDEE was 3170 (1970 + 1200). To follow my rule of never creating a deficit larger than 1000 calories, I aimed to eat 2170 calories that day.

By setting up my calorie goal for that maintenance level without exercise, my total remaining calories ends up being my total deficit for that day: For example, this is what my food diary looked like yesterday:

Goal Food Exercise Net Remaining
1970 2127 1123 1004 966

I, too, have heard that you shouldn't net below 1200, but my nutritionist told me that it is safe to net around 1000 on heavy workout days to create a larger deficit as long as I am meeting my nutrient goals.

This is what my day off looked like:

Goal Food Exercise Net Remaining
1970 1600 0 1600 370

I averaged a deficit of 870 last week and I lost 4 pounds (but I'm always a range so this could be more like 2, but I'm back where i was - 158). I'm having enough energy for my workouts, and feel like I have complete control of the deficit I create each day. On thanksgiving, I ate 2888 calories and still had a deficit of 657.

Anyway, it's working which makes me VERY happy :) It's just another way to work with MFP if you're looking for a change - that's nutritionist approved.

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    interesting! Glad you found something that works for you!!
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing:) sounds good, I'll try this:)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    bump
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. might try it
  • baldchocnsexy
    Options
    bump
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So you don't actually hit your MFP calorie goal? You cut yourself off at 1600? My MFP calorie goal when I set it to maintain is 2160 calories a day... which is a TON since I have been eating 1200. My BMR is 1610.. which is still alot. Even on workout days I don't eat more than 1400. Scared I will gain, but since I have not lost in weeks doesn't hurt to try something new.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Cool, can't wait to try this, post-marathon (One week). It makes sense. It sucks force feeding after a 3 hour run to reach 1200 net. This sounds a lot more logical and effective as a runner.
  • amerrill1
    Options
    bump
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    BUMP!

Thanks so much for posting this. I am going to try and figure out mine. How did you figure your BMR? Thanks!
  • mvkrayola
    mvkrayola Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later--your story is a carbon copy of mine!! WW, MFP, up 4 pounds! I look forward to reading this, cause I'm at the point of total confusion!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    So you don't actually hit your MFP calorie goal? You cut yourself off at 1600? My MFP calorie goal when I set it to maintain is 2160 calories a day... which is a TON since I have been eating 1200. My BMR is 1610.. which is still alot. Even on workout days I don't eat more than 1400. Scared I will gain, but since I have not lost in weeks doesn't hurt to try something new.
    I met with the nutritionist last Saturday and misunderstood her slightly, so I ate at a 1000 calorie deficit for the first 3 days (around 1400 calories - under my bmr) and I noticed a negative impact on my workouts, so I asked the nutritionist and got the clarifications I needed. I notice that if I eat at a 1000 calorie deficit for 3 days in a row, my runs are harder - so I have to balance it with lighter workouts or more eating every couple days (and not a lot more - just 200 extra calories can make a world of difference!
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    bump. Thanks for the info!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

Thanks so much for posting this. I am going to try and figure out mine. How did you figure your BMR? Thanks!
    MFP's calculator for BMR is pretty accurate. My nutritionist came up with my minimum number by multiplying my weight by 10.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have a question because I am a little bit confused when trying to set this up for myself.....

when you say you should never eat less than your BMR... are you talking about net calories or total calories???
    Because If you are netting 1000 calories... that's obviously below your BMR.

and say I burn more than 600 calories (which I do most days).. how much are those calories are you eating back? just enough to net 1000 calories??