A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I am confused too, MFP calorie allowance puts me below BMR, it seems to be working at the min, 13lb lost in 6 weeks, but will this affect my loss in future? I still have around 90lb to lose.

I have set goals to lose 1LB week which gives me 1730 cals - i try to eat 1930 on exercise days / 1530 on non exercise days so i never net below 1200. I dont eat back my exercise calories (approx 700-800 4x per week) which gives me a 2nd lb loss.

BMR is 1824, my maintenance on MFP is 2220 - if i eat to BMR only 2772 deficit so wouldnt even lose1lb?
    I think what you're doing is great, and if it's working for you then keep going! :) I think when you have more to lose, your body won't freak out if you eat under your BMR, and you can reach a 1000 calorie deficit fairly easily. When you have less to lose it becomes trickier because your body starts to preserve itself if it doesn't receive enough calories. And for people who workout a lot and need a rest day, it's really hard to limit yourself to 1200, especially when it's below your BMR. I would keep doing what you're doing until you get closer to your goal. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

thats good to know!
    I was set to lose 2lb a week initially but the idea of eating only 1230 cals on some days and spending 2 hours in the gym just to eat my exercise cals back seemed really odd to me, so I changed to 1lb a week and not eat exercise cals but am still losing same amount per week. your way i would eat a bit more but also have to exercise a bit more, they are all the same cals overall but just a different way of getting there!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Bumpity!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump -- to read later
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump to print & read. Thanks for the info - very interesting for future reference!
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    this is what i do, i set my goals to loose .5lbs a week and i dont eat back my exercise calories this seems to be working for me right
    This is basically what this method is for me and easier to understand. Thanks
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    My BMR is 1295. Multiply that by 1.3 = 1683.5.
    I should eat 1295 and not eat back exercise calories except if I burn more than 295 so that I don't net lower than 1000.

Basically, I should eat 1295 a day. If I exercise, I should not worry about 295 calories of the burn but if I burn more, I eat that surplus back. I would say my average daily calorie burn would be 500 which means that I would eat back 205( 500 exercise burn minus 295 cals I don't need to worry about). Since I work out six days a week, I"ll be eating 1500 those days and 1295 on my rest day.

Right now my MFP calorie goal is as low as it can go....1200 to lose .8 lb a week and I eat back exercise calories. That has me eating anywhere from 1300 to 1800(most days 1730 around) usually. And this is why I"m not losing? I'm doing p90x and insanity. If I didn't eat back all my exercise calories, I would be losing?
  • MsBrwnSugga
    MsBrwnSugga Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • mindyj0911
    Options
    I'm very interested in this but super confused. Can someone help me my BMR is 1896 and I weigh 240! Right now MFP says my calorie goal is 1417 .
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    this is what i do, i set my goals to loose .5lbs a week and i dont eat back my exercise calories this seems to be working for me right
    This is basically what this method is for me and easier to understand. Thanks

I suppose depending on how much a person has to lose..they can adjust their goal. For someone that is close to their goal, they could have it set to maintain and just not count their exercise calories. Let the work out be the way they lose fat. Or have a small goal of .5 lbs a week and not eat back 250 calories of their exercise burn numbers for a total of 1 lb per week of loss.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • SlimBananas
    SlimBananas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luvs_choc8
    luvs_choc8 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    bump
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've lost 5 or 6 pounds so far.. total I want to actually lose now is only around 25-30. Depends on how I look after that. Right now, I'm eating 1300 per day. Sometimes I eat back my exercise calories, sometimes just some of them, and sometimes I don't. I work on my feet 5 days a week, usually around 5 hours each. I don't know how much that burns, but I do know my body is definitely used to it. When I go to the gym about 3 days a week, I burn around 250-300 each time. My BMR is 1359 according to MFP and I weigh 145. Care to help? I'd definitely be worried about upping my calorie intake because I don't want to gain weight.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, to read later
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    bump for later.