A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options

For you - set your daily calorie goal to 1638 (this is your BMR x 1.3)

Aim to eat 1300 calories a day, but make sure to eat your surplus exercise calories if you burn more than 600 calories. If you burn 1500 calories in working out, your TDEE for that day is 3138. The minimum you should eat that day is 2,138 (1,000 calorie deficit).

Just make sure your calculations for your calorie burns are accurate, because this could affect the outcome greatly. With this, you really only need to burn 600 calories a day to reach your maximum 1000 calorie deficit. I would only aim to workout more if you are training for something, or if you have a day where you want to eat more calories (i.e. a dinner out, holiday party, etc.). I have found that I am hungrier on my big burn days, and it's easier to adhere to the 1000 calorie deficit when I stick to a 600 calorie burn. That's just me though.

Thanks for your clarification. Please bear with me,...

I should set MFP food cal "to eat" range to 1638, is that correct? (this is what I am trying to eat)

on non workout days - I eat 1300, even though MFP says 1638? or do I eat 1638 on all days, but never below 1300?

On workout days I eat 1638, unless my workout is over 600 - then I eat the difference there to limit my deficit, so its not more then 600 (subtract 600 from my workout cals from that day)

I have an HMR, so cal on exercising should be pretty accurate. Have a good amount of muscle, I am maintaining and building, as well as working on some body fat loss. Thus the workout schedule at the moment. Has helped tone and tightening and leaning me out, but still working on all that.
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand the net calories. Sorry if I am just dumb, but is that the deficit or the intake or something else.

My BMR is 1610
    My maintenance is 2160

So I eat 1610 even on non workout days, Not the 1200 MFP had me at? Do I eat back exercise calories?

Yes, try not to eat less than 1610 on any day. But don't eat workout calories unless you go over 600. Then eat the surplus calories (if you burn 800, eat 200 in addition to the 1610). Don't worry about the NET number too much if you're going to try it this way. Just make sure to NET above 1000.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your assistance today!!! You're amazing!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

For you - set your daily calorie goal to 1638 (this is your BMR x 1.3)

Aim to eat 1300 calories a day, but make sure to eat your surplus exercise calories if you burn more than 600 calories. If you burn 1500 calories in working out, your TDEE for that day is 3138. The minimum you should eat that day is 2,138 (1,000 calorie deficit).

Just make sure your calculations for your calorie burns are accurate, because this could affect the outcome greatly. With this, you really only need to burn 600 calories a day to reach your maximum 1000 calorie deficit. I would only aim to workout more if you are training for something, or if you have a day where you want to eat more calories (i.e. a dinner out, holiday party, etc.). I have found that I am hungrier on my big burn days, and it's easier to adhere to the 1000 calorie deficit when I stick to a 600 calorie burn. That's just me though.

Thanks for your clarification. Please bear with me,...

I should set MFP food cal "to eat" range to 1638, is that correct? (this is what I am trying to eat)

on non workout days - I eat 1300, even though MFP says 1638? or do I eat 1638 on all days, but never below 1300?

On workout days I eat 1638, unless my workout is over 600 - then I eat the difference there to limit my deficit, so its not more then 600 (subtract 600 from my workout cals from that day)

I have an HMR, so cal on exercising should be pretty accurate. Have a good amount of muscle, I am maintaining and building, as well as working on some body fat loss. Thus the workout schedule at the moment. Has helped tone and tightening and leaning me out, but still working on all that.

You're right and wrong. You want to eat around 1300 every day, whether it's a workout day, or not. 1638 is your maintenance if you didn't do any exercise. So on a day you don't workout, your deficit is 338. By setting up MFP so your calorie goal is 1638, on this day that you don't workout and you eat 1300, your calories remaining (number in green) should read 338 (your deficit). If you workout and burn 675, your TDEE (maintenance + workout) is 2,313. You could eat 1,313 calories for a 1,000 calorie deficit (and that number in green would read 1000), but of course if you were hungry, you could eat a little more - you don't always have to have that big of a deficit, it's just a guideline to make sure you eat enough. On that day, you wouldn't want to eat below that though.
  • BethGutschlag
    BethGutschlag Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump - This makes sense and makes me think I have been eating too little! I'll give it a try - Perfect for the upcoming Xmas/New year period. Thank you
  • olivia3263
    Options

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your assistance today!!! You're amazing!

Haha, no problem. And feel free to add me as a friend to take a look at how I set up my Diary, if you get confused. And let me know how it works for you! :)
  • sbb4406
    Options
    So, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly...
    My BMR is 1520 and daily calorie needs without exercise are 1824. So I should aim for around 1520 minimum to lose weight. I don't have a HRM (yet) but MFP says I burn around 300-400 calories w/ my normal exercise, so I should just stick with 1520 on exercise days and rest days?
  • Twatley703
    Twatley703 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump --for reference to figure this out..
  • tangal88
    Options
    You're right and wrong. You want to eat around 1300 every day, whether it's a workout day, or not. 1638 is your maintenance if you didn't do any exercise. So on a day you don't workout, your deficit is 338. By setting up MFP so your calorie goal is 1638, on this day that you don't workout and you eat 1300, your calories remaining (number in green) should read 338 (your deficit). If you workout and burn 675, your TDEE (maintenance + workout) is 2,313. You could eat 1,313 calories for a 1,000 calorie deficit (and that number in green would read 1000), but of course if you were hungry, you could eat a little more - you don't always have to have that big of a deficit, it's just a guideline to make sure you eat enough. On that day, you wouldn't want to eat below that though.

okay, see if I get this then.

Today, no exercise day.

I set MFP under custom, and put my calorie goal to 1638. This stays for all days.

Today, I ate 1300 calories. This give me a green deficit of 338. This is good, not optimal, but okay.In the example, I am done eating today.

Tomarow, I will work out and burn 1000 calories. (just a general number)

Tomarrow, I actually will eat more, then today - but I am aiming to keep the green deficit at 1000 or less. But not more then 1000 on any day. I can go below 1000, as low as 600. But I should never be over 1000. And ideally not lower then 600.

Does that seem correct?

Thanks for your help, sorry to keep bugging you.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    saving for my topics if/when I need it
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump to digest
  • olivia3263
    Options
    So, just to make sure I'm understanding correctly...
    My BMR is 1520 and daily calorie needs without exercise are 1824. So I should aim for around 1520 minimum to lose weight. I don't have a HRM (yet) but MFP says I burn around 300-400 calories w/ my normal exercise, so I should just stick with 1520 on exercise days and rest days?

Yep, that's exactly right.
  • sbb4406
    Options
  • olivia3263
    Options
    okay, see if I get this then.

Today, no exercise day.

I set MFP under custom, and put my calorie goal to 1638. This stays for all days.

Today, I ate 1300 calories. This give me a green deficit of 338. This is good, not optimal, but okay.In the example, I am done eating today.

This ^ is exactly correct.

Tomarow, I will work out and burn 1000 calories. (just a general number)

Tomarrow, I actually will eat more, then today - but I am aiming to keep the green deficit at 1000 or less. But not more then 1000 on any day. I can go below 1000, as low as 600. But I should never be over 1000. And ideally not lower then 600.

Does that seem correct?

Thanks for your help, sorry to keep bugging you.

This ^ is almost correct. There is no minimum deficit - you could have 0 if you wanted (you wouldn't lose any weight, but you wouldn't gain either). You do know though that if you have a negative number, you will be eating above your maintenance level and then you would gain. But you just want to make sure to have a deficit no bigger than 1000. If your average deficit for the week is around 750 (kind of what I'm aiming for) you should lose 1.5 pounds. (500 = 1 pound, 1000 = 2 pounds).

Ahhh, don't ya just love math? haha
  • VeggieFace
    Options
    bump
  • tangal88
    Options
    thank you SOOOO much! I do so appreciate it. Will try this, and see how things go.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdPb1-vR7PFnKxAipD0IEbGHmmMxZChlipj-tqSUSAERdEa3NEFw
  • janski2
    Options
    bump
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Want to try to work this.
  • smte
    smte Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks Olivia. Will give this a go from tomorrow. Can I add you as a friend?

Thanks
  • olivia3263
    Options
    Thanks Olivia. Will give this a go from tomorrow. Can I add you as a friend?

Thanks

Of course! And good luck :)