A different way to set up MFP goals - that WORKS!

Options

Replies

• cstannert
    Options
    Thank you for the imput....I used the BMR calculations for this site to get 1371. Where did you get the other number?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the imput....I used the BMR calculations for this site to get 1371. Where did you get the other number?

The link that I gave, right below that comment.
  • osorio1
    osorio1 Posts: 63
    Options
    Bump
  • cstannert
    Options

The link that I gave, right below that comment.

Thank you again! I'm going to use this new BMR & try this method. I'm also wondering what my green deficit should be if I only want to lose 1 lb a week instead of 2. I know I need to eat under/near 1000to get 2 lb loss per week but what about for 1 and how does exercise fit into that? I Typically burn between. 500-600 calories in exercise per day
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    bump--i needed this 6 months ago!!
  • tigger301780
    tigger301780 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Damn! My head hurts with all those numbers! I'm confused and I've been educating myself for a few months.
    I can't believe the newbies will understand!

People have to understand that your example is about someone who works out. If someone never exercises, they should not try to net too low.
  • tigger301780
    Options
    Ok My turn to see if I have a clue (I find this confusing but interested in trying it)
    My BMR is 1527
    My Maintenance is 2060. This gives me a deficit of 533 calories if I don't do any exercise and eat 1527 calories that day.
    If I do more than 433 calories worth of exercise, it would give me a deficit of over 1000 if I ate my BMR calories, correct?
    So any calories I have over 1000, I would need to eat? I can keep it at 1000 or less if I want to, but the ideal would be to keep my deficit at around 533->1000 calories if I want to lose weight.

I have a feeling I'm missing something from here. Hope my way of seeing things isnt too confusing I realise you've clarified this quite a bit for other people. Its the maths. It hates me...

I also just realised- I look at my NET calories, not my calories remaining, right? In Other words, if my net calories (underneath calories remaining) is under my BMR, I need to eat enough calories to make it come to my BMR? eg if my net calories for the day ends up being 1024 , I would still need to eat 504 calories minimum?
  • zebedee44
    Options
    just bumping! :happy:
  • JennyAnn35
    Options
    I thought you were just supposed to eat at least 1200 a day, not net that. I usually net around 300 after my workouts are added in.
  • tigger301780
    Options
    Thats what im a bit confused about. I dont know if people are talking about the calories remaining in green or the net calories underneath it...
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I need to come back to this. I am just not understanding some of it.
  • tigger301780
    Options
    I thought you were just supposed to eat at least 1200 a day, not net that. I usually net around 300 after my workouts are added in.

I think I get now was just reading back over the last page and I do belive youre right. As long as my calories remaining is in green and I eat my BMR worth of food, to try and be simple
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    will read later
  • ReggieOwens
    Options
    It's confusing because the best way to do it is to track your calories and see what your weight does and then you dial in your own maintenance level of intake over time. And it's not like 1 or 2 hundred calories is going to upset the time/space continuum. Or you can just eat at 2000 for women or 2500 for men and watch your weight and if you're losing you add more calories until you maintain, or if you're gaining you subtract calories until you maintain. Or just multiply 14 x body weight for AVERAGE females or slower male metabolisms or 16 X bodyweight for men. Body weight because fat cells burn calories. It's a work in progress, but that's what tracking is for. There's three simple ways to approach it. Or continue to be confused

www.TheFitnessTutor.com
    15+ years Training and Dietary Coaching
  • ReggieOwens
    Options
    There's no reason for any adult on the planet to net less than 1000 unless you have a disease or malfunction and you're under doctors supervision, OR you're doing a planned fasting phase. Remember your ears burn calories. EVERYTHING does.

www.TheFitnessTutor.com
  • tigger301780
    Options
    It's confusing because the best way to do it is to track your calories and see what your weight does and then you dial in your own maintenance level of intake over time. And it's not like 1 or 2 hundred calories is going to upset the time/space continuum. Or you can just eat at 2000 for women or 2500 for men and watch your weight and if you're losing you add more calories until you maintain, or if you're gaining you subtract calories until you maintain. Or just multiply 14 x body weight for AVERAGE females or slower male metabolisms or 16 X bodyweight for men. Body weight because fat cells burn calories. It's a work in progress, but that's what tracking is for. There's three simple ways to approach it. Or continue to be confused

www.TheFitnessTutor.com

I wish there was a 'like' button for some of these posts :D Ill take your first piece of advice and work out whats best. Im not overly desperate to lose weight so Im happy to experiment!
  • martielou
    martielou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,307
    Options
    How does one work out their maintenance calories?...........
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bump!