Calling all Beachbody coaches, RE: Shakeology

Options

Replies

• RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ric you seem like a smart guy, why do you think they used the forms of vitamins i asked about vs the ones i listed. just curious if you have any opinions on that

I do not know. My thought is that the folks at Beachbody have reasons for each ingredient they selected. Those reasons may be based in science, they may be based in economics, or they may be based in both.

at the current price point you'd think they would strive to use the most bioavailable forms of vitamins and still be able to have a healthy profit margin

Personally i think the quality of vitamins is more important then the actual amounts of vitamins in a product

I am going to ask the people at Beachbody these questions. It may take a couple days to get a response. I’ll let you know what they say.

I posed the following question to Beachbody three days ago...

I am having a discussion with someone online and they are asking questions that are over my head. Can you help with the following?
    Since shakeology is a MRP, why does it not use slower digesting proteins such as micellar casein or a blend of proteins?
    Why does it use cyanocobalmin instead of methylcobalin?
    Why does it use only the alpha from of tocophenyl instead of a full spectrum of tocerpherols and tocotrienols (alpha, beta, delta, gamma)?
    Why does it use plain niacin instead of inositol hexanicotinate?

They told me they do not handle these types of questions but Shakeology.com may. I posted to Shakeology.com and they said I would have an answer within 24 hrs. Three days later and I haven’t received a response.

That being said, it is highly questionable whether any of these things matter to the average consumer.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    RicSnyder:

Thanks for doing the legwork on this and looking for answers.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You can't get more honest that than. Thanks. Seems to be the ONLY sensible person using this product
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I am having a discussion with someone online and they are asking questions that are over my head. Can you help with the following?
    Since shakeology is a MRP, why does it not use slower digesting proteins such as micellar casein or a blend of proteins?
    Why does it use only the alpha from of tocophenyl instead of a full spectrum of tocerpherols and tocotrienols (alpha, beta, delta, gamma)?

They told me they do not handle these types of questions but Shakeology.com may. I posted to Shakeology.com and they said I would have an answer within 24 hrs. Three days later and I haven’t received a response.

That being said, it is highly questionable whether any of these things matter to the average consumer.

Ric i commend you for A) being knowledgeable on various subjects and being a stand up guy to actually try and attempt answer some of my questions

honestly i suspect that many of their ingredient choices were made based off cost considerations vs anything else, but it will be interesting to see if they have legit reasons for choosing the things they did.
  • RicSnyder
    Options

Ric i commend you for A) being knowledgeable on various subjects and being a stand up guy to actually try and attempt answer some of my questions

honestly i suspect that many of their ingredient choices were made based off cost considerations vs anything else, but it will be interesting to see if they have legit reasons for choosing the things they did.

I just received the following response from Shakeology.com...

Hello Ric,

Thank you for contacting Team Beachbody.

I am sorry for the delay in response.

Here are the answers for your questions :

1.MRP's do not require slow digesting protein. Whey protein isolate is the highest quality and greatest biological availability.

2. We are evaluating the possible use of metylcobalamin.

3. We are evaluating the possible effects of spectrum natural vitamin E on Shakeology stability.

4. Niacin has better absorption within the Shakeology ingredient matrix.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thanks again and we wish you success in reaching your fitness goals!
  • Acg67
    Options

Hello Ric,

1.MRP's do not require slow digesting protein. Whey protein isolate is the highest quality and greatest biological availability.

3. We are evaluating the possible effects of spectrum natural vitamin E on Shakeology stability.

Thank you Ric. Let me first say out of all the beachbody coaches that i've seen on this site promote shaeko and various other beachbody products, i can say you are one of the few standup coaches who actually went the extra mile to try and get the questions answered, even though you thought them to be silly and inconsequential to the avg person. You also seem to be on of the few that actually has some knowledge of fitness and nutrition. So bravo for being a stand up guy and being knowledgeable

I could quibble with their answers, i mean technically hydro whey has a higher BV then isolate (although the ceo's blog said they didn't go for hydro cause it spikes insulin even though whey does as well) and while they are right that an MRP doesn't need to contain slower digesting proteins, i would think from a satiety standpoint it would make a lot of sense.

and they did dodge the questions on vitamin forms and i still stand by my original stance i think they were chosen for cost considerations. It would be funny if they came out with ShakeO 2.0 with better forms of vitamins and touted that fact, seeing as it's marketed as only containing the best ingredients

Now my question to the rest of the Beachbody coaches, how come you weren't willing to go the extra mile like Ric? And didn't even comment on this thread save 3 others? I don't know if this says more about the beachbody coaches on this site or Ric.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Well one thing I do know is that if I ever consider purchasing Shakeology, I know which coach to go to!
  • RicSnyder
    Options

Hello Ric,

Thank you Ric. Let me first say out of all the beachbody coaches that i've seen on this site promote shaeko and various other beachbody products, i can say you are one of the few standup coaches who actually went the extra mile to try and get the questions answered, even though you thought them to be silly and inconsequential to the avg person. You also seem to be on of the few that actually has some knowledge of fitness and nutrition. So bravo for being a stand up guy and being knowledgeable

I could quibble with their answers, i mean technically hydro whey has a higher BV then isolate (although the ceo's blog said they didn't go for hydro cause it spikes insulin even though whey does as well) and while they are right that an MRP doesn't need to contain slower digesting proteins, i would think from a satiety standpoint it would make a lot of sense.

and they did dodge the questions on vitamin forms and i still stand by my original stance i think they were chosen for cost considerations. It would be funny if they came out with ShakeO 2.0 with better forms of vitamins and touted that fact, seeing as it's marketed as only containing the best ingredients

Now my question to the rest of the Beachbody coaches, how come you weren't willing to go the extra mile like Ric? And didn't even comment on this thread save 3 others? I don't know if this says more about the beachbody coaches on this site or Ric.

Acg - thanks for the props, the challenge and the opportunity to educate myself a little bit. It was fun. I appreciate your insight and understanding of nutrition...and I am jealous of your abs. Later, Ric
  • Acg67
    Options

Acg - thanks for the props, the challenge and the opportunity to educate myself a little bit. It was fun. I appreciate your insight and understanding of nutrition...and I am jealous of your abs. Later, Ric

While i cannot endorse ShakeO because i do think there are better things on the market, I can say if anyone is interested in beachbody products i would recommend Ric as a coach as he has shown the willingness to go the extra mile and does not seem to be in it solely for the money
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ric for getting this info and posting it. I had contacted Bechbody last week as well, but unlike you, didn't receive a response Perhaps, i emailed the wrong place? I am new to this stuff, sorry! :)
    I appreciate these questions, OP and you, Ric, for finding the answers to some and sharing them.I am always looking to learn new things...and honestly, most of these questions were beyond my understanding, which I am not ashamed to admit! I have much to learn!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    so far i'm very interested that if this question was posed to the CEO of Beachbody that he immediately didn't answer yes that Shakeology was manufactured in a GMP certified facility and didn't off to provide a 3rd party COA for shakeology

maybe there is a beachbody coach that has been doing it a little bit longer and knows about the product that they are selling?

I can't answer most of your questions. I am only a BB "coach" for the discounts. I have only sold one video to my brother. I tried Shakeology and I hate the taste of it.

Only thing I can answer is that that BB Shakeology FAQ says "Shakeology is manufactured in a facility that is registered with the FDA, adheres to current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and is GMP-Certified by the NSF (National Science Foundation) and the NPA (Natural Products Association)"

However, doing my own research on NSF site and http://www.nsf.org/certified/consumer/listings_main.asp and NPA http://www.npainfo.org/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Consumer Landing Page , I could find no hits for Shakeology or Beachbody which would mean it is not an approved NPA or NSF product unless for some reason BB is using a different name, which I doubt
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I have half of you people on 'ignore' so I can't make sense of this thread.

I presume y'all are arguin.

As usual.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I'm possibly interested in trying out shakeology, but before i do, I'd like the following questions answered. So no PMs or anything like that until these questions are answered in the thread. Thanks!

1. Is shakeology manufactured in a facility meeting the following complience standards?
    NSF Certification Guideline 306
    NSF GMP Registration Policies
    GMP requirements in NSF/ANSI Standard 173 Section 8
    NNfA GMP Certified

2. Can you provide any 3rd party COAs for shakeolgy?

3. Since shakeology is a MRP, why does it not use slower digesting proteins such as micellar casein or a blend of proteins?

4. Shakeolgy is touted as low GI certified, what relavance does that have to the avg person and why are their shakeology recipes on the site which would then change the GI of the shake?

5. Why does it use cyanocobalmin instead of methylcobalin?

6. why does it use only the alpha from of tocophenyl instead of a full spectrum of tocerpherols and tocotrienols (alpha, beta, delta, gamma)?

7. why does it use plain niacin instead of inositol hexanicotinate?

8. why does it use just beta catrotene instead of both alpha and beta carotenes?

9. according to the marketing material shakeolgy "Shakeology was specially formulated for the collection of ingredients to work together like a symphony" can you provide any peer reviewed researching showing that all the compounds esp in the prop blends work synergistically and are in the proper amounts? Just off the top of my head i know that zinc depends on copper for optimum utilization, optimally in a 10 to 1 ratio (shakeology has a 7.5:1 ratio, which may lead to the suppression of copper-based antioxidant enzymes)

10. since there is an abundant use of prop blends, how can i tell if all the extra ingredients are in their optimal dosages that have shown benefits to humans or just label filler?

these are just a few i have off the top of my head after looking label and website

Please do the research . there is a site that reviews all the shakes. Shakeology came in third. t is disgusting. The number 1 shake is Ideal Shake. I bought it, it is the cheapest and tastes excellent. Please research as I did.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'll do my best to get you these answers.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    First off wow, this thread is getting viscous. I'm a coach but I have only been doing this since Sept so I'm not really one who should be responding because I am still in training and not sure what I have "access" to, as you put it. Second, I think anyone who starts off a question with that much negativity wants to not like something. I will never say it's a perfect formula - it's just better for you and taste better than all the rest. I'm not the scientist on the team and I highly doubt anyone but the scientist and nutritionist who created it are the only ones who could answer most if not all your questions. . I would be fascinated to find out what else you eat, if this is the scrutiny you give you food. Better not catch you ever eating a $5 footlong at Subway. lol

I believe it's impossible as a distributor or consumer to ever know everything about a product you sell or eat. That's probably only info the creators and makers themselves would know. There may be more info in my online office on it that I am not aware of, Idk.

Bottom line, most ppl just try products and see how it makes them feel. Beachbody gives 100% bottom of the bag guarantee. If you don't like it for any reason just send it back, no questions ask. I personally love shakeology along with thousands of other people who do. There are thousands of testimonials from ppl who drink it for lots of different reasons. If you want to drink it just because of the health benefits that's fine. Lots of people drink it for that reason because they don't like fruits and vegetables. Some use it as a meal replacement to help with their weight loss, some have gotten off medications drinking it. My personal experience with it is, I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. When I drink Shakeology I have more energy to get up off the couch and workout and do other things, my appetite is curbed for about 2hrs afterwards and because when I'm drinking it, I'm getting the nutrients I need, that helps with my pain. No whey protein and meal replacement shake has ever done that for me, ever! I'm 46, have struggled with my weight and health for many yrs, I have tried many meal replacements shakes and whey proteins, and I can tell you that there is nothing like shakeology. Sure, you're thinking....of course she's saying that, she's trying to sell it. Sure, I would love to make a sell but I am so convinced that nothing compares to shakeology that I don't even care if you buy it from me or not. You probably wont even buy it because you've already convinced yourself it's no better than anything else. I think you're just out to try and prove it's no better than anything you could buy. I disagree, Again, the only way you can know that for sure is to try it and compare it for yourself.

Here are some links for you. Read, click the links and go from there. If you decide you want to order from me then great, send me an email because I am not allowed to post the link to my site on here.

Compare for yourself: a comparison chart, Shakeology on fox news, Shakeology, where the ingredients come from and See what Doctors are saying about Shakeology.
    http://teresasproles.weebly.com/shakeology.html

Oprah Magazine Shakeology Article Review
    http://www.amandakjones.com/oprah-magazine-shakeology-article-review.php

Shakeology Ingredients (Chocolate)
    http://myshakeology.com/uploads/fckeditor/mdbody/File/downloads/ShakeologyCocoa.pdf

Shakeology ingredients (greenberry) http://myshakeology.com/uploads/fckeditor/mdbody/File/downloads/ShakeologyGreenBerry.pdf

Ideal Shake is rated number 1 on the independent ratings scale. Fact..It is cheaper. FACT They give the sam guarantee, they all do. I have tasted them all..Shakeology is disgusting. There are no coaches, hence the lower price...Try Ideal Shake. Dont let your customers sample it, they will get ill.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am signing over my nutritional needs to you... if you would kindly start cooking and shopping for me, then I can stop stressing about food!
  • herecomesthesun77
    Options
    I think they taste amazing actually
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Why do cows eat green grass and white milk comes out??? I don't know. I just know that it does.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I seriously hope no one is trying to find all the answers to this guys questions. Don't confuse someone wanting to be well informed for someone just desperate for attention. My best guess is hes a first year college student in the nutrition or medical field showing off some new words he's learned.

Here is my take on shakeology... Why do cows eat green grass and white milk comes out??? I don't know. I just know that it does.

you totally got me.

funny you're the second beachbody coach to come in and say basically don't ask questions, it just works (with no actual evidence it works except for some anecdotal evidence) who cares if it uses inferior forms of vitamins and minerals, right?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I can't answer most of your questions. I am only a BB "coach" for the discounts. I have only sold one video to my brother. I tried Shakeology and I hate the taste of it.

Only thing I can answer is that that BB Shakeology FAQ says "Shakeology is manufactured in a facility that is registered with the FDA, adheres to current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and is GMP-Certified by the NSF (National Science Foundation) and the NPA (Natural Products Association)"

However, doing my own research on NSF site and http://www.nsf.org/certified/consumer/listings_main.asp and NPA http://www.npainfo.org/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Consumer Landing Page , I could find no hits for Shakeology or Beachbody which would mean it is not an approved NPA or NSF product unless for some reason BB is using a different name, which I doubt
    It's because Shakeology is manufactured by a 3rd party. I've stated this in other Shakeology threads and other "coaches" think I'm full of BS when I posted it. It's NOT uncommon for many supplement companies to submit their "formula" or "proprietary blend" to a 3rd party manufacturer to save money on production of that product. This is why Acg and I have questioned in the past about actual ingredients and their % of dosage per serving because any maker can say they have blah blah blah in it, but the actual dosage in a serving makes a difference. The so called "exotic ingredients" may only be in miniscule amounts in a serving which may not provide the benefits touted by actual scientific study. But saying that it's in the formula gives the company a selling point to those who like to hear about how great the product is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition