Will weight training make women bulky?

Options

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't like the bulky look or even muscular arms.

Muscularity or the "muscle look" is based on BF percentage. I lift heavy and I'll never look "muscular", if I don't lose that fat.

When I hear bulky, I think fat. Muscles are lean, fat is bulky. (See 5lb of muscles vs 5 lbs of fat)

I don't like either look.

Oh ok...personal preference. I can respect that. I personally am trying to find a balance where I look athletic, but still maintain a certain percentage of BF to remain "soft". Around 19-20% BF. Im 24% now

I respect your preference as well. I'm aiming for the lean look, but I will make sure that my arms don't be muscular.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Tae bo?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Tae bo?

Where's the formula?
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

I don't like pineapples. What's that got to do with the topic at hand?

I'm allergic to pineapples. True story.

Oh wait... that's off topic as well...

*Gasp!* My daughter is also allergic to pineapples. EVERYONE STOP EATING PINEAPPLES! It MUST be an epidemic. Pineapples are poison! I base this off of peer reviewed (I consider my 5 year old my peer) scientific (we experimented, and experiments are science) research, with a second independant study with same results (odusgulp). PINEAPPLES ARE POISON!!!!!

PS.... Spread the Word... Preferably through email which is the perferred media through which scientific information is distributed to the masses.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

*Gasp!* My daughter is also allergic to pineapples. EVERYONE STOP EATING PINEAPPLES! It MUST be an epidemic. Pineapples are poison! I base this off of peer reviewed (I consider my 5 year old my peer) scientific (we experimented, and experiments are science) research, with a second independant study with same results (odusgulp). PINEAPPLES ARE POISON!!!!!

Is now! I read it on the interwebs...

Pineapples are out to kill you.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

PS.... Spread the Word... Preferably through email which is the perferred media through which scientific information is distributed to the masses.

When my son was little, he would break out around his mouth anytime he ate pineapple or strawberries. True fact.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Tae bo?
    2z6rour.gif
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    When people say that weight training will not make women bulky, do they mean bulky like this:

imagesCASGAS2Z.jpg

or like this:

JamieEason21.jpg

imagesCAFUR0BO.jpg

imagesCA7098NJ.jpg

All of those pictures came out when I googled bulky women. Obvoiusly the first man dressed as a woman does not count. But do you consider the others bulky? Will weight training alone (no steroids) make you look like this?

Honestly, I don't think people who say that DON'T really think about a look that they mean. They say it because they like their women barefoot and pregnant. People who say that often want a nice, sweet, subservient woman who they can control, and doesn't threaten them or challenge them in any way.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I respect your preference as well. I'm aiming for the lean look, but I will make sure that my arms don't be muscular.
    There's something to be said, though, for wanting muscle not just for appearances but for functionality.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    No - I wish! I'd love to look like Jamie Eason! It takes a hell of a lot more commitment.

I agree..she has an amazing body
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

When my son was little, he would break out around his mouth anytime he ate pineapple or strawberries. True fact.
    Sounds like he was faking it.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options

And they're off!

popcorn_yes.gif

Awesome.

:heart: Gus
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I could say, "I don't like flabby, cellulitey arms." But then that would make me an @sshole. Darn.

lol
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Is now! I read it on the interwebs...

Pineapples are out to kill you.

Truth.

It's part of the insidious plot by the super-sekret turtle organanization (the Turtleuminati).
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    If you want to look like Jamie Eason, or any of the "bulky" but obviously fit women, you will need to hire a trianer and nutritionist, likey train twice a day 6 times a week and eat tons of protein, carbs, and supplements. If looking this way is not your full time job, it wont happen. Depending on what body type you have ( mesomorph- gains muscle fairly easily, ectomorph- thin and lean and cant gain muscle without tons of hard work, or endomorph-gains fat easily) will help you decide how much weight to lift and how often. But the SIMPLE answer is, NO. Women do not have enough testosterone to get bulky. Even if you lift extremely heavy weights ( a weight that can only be lifted a few times to failure) you will gain shapley, lean muscle that will stoke your metabolism and make you look toned and shapley. Lift heavy (8-12 reps max) and you will achieve a toned look!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    It's part of the insidious plot by the super-sekret turtle organanization (the Turtleuminati).
    "My plan to frame the turtles is coming together perfectly! Mwahahahaha!"

original.jpg
  • Women's bodies aren't built like men's bodies - it is much more difficult for a woman to gain muscle than it is for a man, even the lean scultped muscle. Biologically, we have adapted to being mothers and caregivers (thanks to our ancestors) so our body focuses on enhancing more womanly functions than it does on physique (yes, we are learning about this in my Evolutionary Ecology class so I know what I am talking about). For a woman to get "bulky" they have to be on some kind of supplement or steroid to help their muscles grow to such an extreme size. For a good example of how "bulky" a woman can get naturally through exercise and little to no supplements, check out Cameron Diaz's body! Keep in mind that the Victoria Secrets Angels spend about 50-65% of their workouts strength training.

Strong is sexy! If you have any other questions or concerns, message/add me! I'm an exercise science major with a minor in food sciences, so I consider myself quite knowledgeable about this stuff. :-)
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If you want to look like Jamie Eason, or any of the "bulky" but obviously fit women, you will need to hire a trianer and nutritionist, likey train twice a day 6 times a week and eat tons of protein, carbs, and supplements. If looking this way is not your full time job, it wont happen. Depending on what body type you have ( mesomorph- gains muscle fairly easily, ectomorph- thin and lean and cant gain muscle without tons of hard work, or endomorph-gains fat easily) will help you decide how much weight to lift and how often. But the SIMPLE answer is, NO. Women do not have enough testosterone to get bulky. Even if you lift extremely heavy weights ( a weight that can only be lifted a few times to failure) you will gain shapley, lean muscle that will stoke your metabolism and make you look toned and shapley. Lift heavy (8-12 reps max) and you will achieve a toned look!

Totally agree with this .. and when you can do 8-12 reps without trouble, add more WEIGHT, not more reps. Womens muscles were made to endure (more so than mens muscles), so doing more than 12 reps is only teaching them to be efficient. You want to make them inefficient so they have to adapt, in order to do that they change....(get stronger)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you won't get like the first one at all unless you take steroids.

The 2nd 3rd and 4th I'm willing to bet are most likely natural (or a woman "could" get like that naturally) but they would have years and years of eating and training to look SPECIFICALLY to get that look. It takes a lot of hard work, more than the average person probably even has time for! Plus they have probably been blessed with great genetics which make it "easier" but by no means easy, to build muscle.

You will not get like that just through lifting heavy. I lift heavy, have done for around a year and a half. I've been eating at a surplus for 5 months and am nowhere near any of them in terms of muscle. I wouldn't mind look like any of the last 3 although I'd prefer a little more softness just as a personal preference, but them getting that muscular look is more from low body fat, than the muscle itself. I know that ending up like that takes so much longer than people think, so I'm not going to even worry myself over it.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he was faking it.
    [/quote]

My sister used to break out when she ate chocolate. She was probably faking it too, I mean, who would want to eat CHOCOLATE?!?!