Will weight training make women bulky?

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    There's something to be said, though, for wanting muscle not just for appearances but for functionality.

Exactly.

Look at the Nia Shanks pic that has been posted in this thread. Here is a lady with a 300+ lb deadlift yet she doesn't look bulky in the slightest although she lifts "heavy". Now why is that? Why doesn't she look like the bodybuilder in the OP? Here's a clue. It's nothing to do with eating at a calorie deficit.

The weight training a body builder undertakes is different to that of a strength athlete and so they end up with different bodies usually unless they are specifically training for both. A strength athlete prefers to trigger myofibrillar hypertrophy (the enlargement of muscle fibres) whereas a bodybuilder prefers to triggering sacroplasmic hypertrophy (increase in sacroplasm, being non contractile muscle fluid.)

Now there is some crossover between the two. Generally however if you train for strength predominantly you will not look "big or bulky". Whilst the size of your muscles does not increase that much to the naked eye given the increase in myofibrils it causes you to be stronger and has a distinct functional benefit in the real world. Many things in real life become much easier (carrying your kids around, or shopping, putting heavy items on shelves and so on.)

If a woman wants to look like a bodybuilder she will not get there by accident. Bodybuilders train very specifically at higher rep ranges (10 to 15 reps per set if not more) with a high degree of volume (they are in the gym all the time doing numerous sets, hitting muscle groups from every conceivable angles and devoting a lot of time to training) with high degrees of muscle fatigue. They will be eating at a calorie surplus. In all honesty they will probably be juicing.

So what does this mean in plain English for the average lady on MFP who is eating at a calorie deficit and is advised to lift heavy for 2 - 3 limited sessions a week? There is no way in God's Green Earth you will end up looking bulky or like a bodybuilder. Forget it. It will NOT happen.

They will however preserve their existing muscle mass (or if they are lucky increase it slightly) which will then be exposed as their body fat lowers. They will look smaller (as fat occupies more space per lb than muscle) sleek and "toned" (presuming however that they have any reasonable existing muscle mass to begin with.)

Perhaps most importantly they will gain functional, real world strength and to me this is the biggest prize of all. Substance over style every time.

If you are a lady and haven't considered strength training then consider doing so. There are just too many advantages to it to leave it for another day. Don't let us boys hold all the chips ;)
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A benefit from strength and resistance training that is rarely mentioned is an increase in bone density. In addition to adding some muscle mass, bones increase in thickness and hardness. Thank me when you're over 60.

Pun intended.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    There's something to be said, though, for wanting muscle not just for appearances but for functionality.

Exactly.

Look at the Nia Shanks pic that has been posted in this thread. Here is a lady with a 300+ lb deadlift yet she doesn't look bulky in the slightest although she lifts "heavy". Now why is that? Why doesn't she look like the bodybuilder in the OP? Here's a clue. It's nothing to do with eating at a calorie deficit.

The weight training a body builder undertakes is different to that of a strength athlete and so they end up with different bodies usually unless they are specifically training for both. A strength athlete prefers to trigger myofibrillar hypertrophy (the enlargement of muscle fibres) whereas a bodybuilder prefers to triggering sacroplasmic hypertrophy (increase in sacroplasm, being non contractile muscle fluid.)

Now there is some crossover between the two. Generally however if you train for strength predominantly you will not look "big or bulky". Whilst the size of your muscles does not increase that much to the naked eye given the increase in myofibrils it causes you to be stronger and has a distinct functional benefit in the real world. Many things in real life become much easier (carrying your kids around, or shopping, putting heavy items on shelves and so on.)

If a woman wants to look like a bodybuilder she will not get there by accident. Bodybuilders train very specifically at higher rep ranges (10 to 15 reps per set if not more) with a high degree of volume (they are in the gym all the time doing numerous sets, hitting muscle groups from every conceivable angles and devoting a lot of time to training) with high degrees of muscle fatigue. They will be eating at a calorie surplus. In all honesty they will probably be juicing.

So what does this mean in plain English for the average lady on MFP who is eating at a calorie deficit and is advised to lift heavy for 2 - 3 limited sessions a week? There is no way in God's Green Earth you will end up looking bulky or like a bodybuilder. Forget it. It will NOT happen.

They will however preserve their existing muscle mass (or if they are lucky increase it slightly) which will then be exposed as their body fat lowers. They will look smaller (as fat occupies more space per lb than muscle) sleek and "toned" (presuming however that they have any reasonable existing muscle mass to begin with.)

Perhaps most importantly they will gain functional, real world strength and to me this is the biggest prize of all. Substance over style every time.

If you are a lady and haven't considered strength training then consider doing so. There are just too many advantages to it to leave it for another day. Don't let us boys hold all the chips ;)

Love this.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

I strength train, but I don't lift heavy. I rather cardio sculpt/ Cardio strength than regular strength training.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I respect your preference as well. I'm aiming for the lean look, but I will make sure that my arms don't be muscular.

True. Things like lifting 10lb of paper needs muscle.
  • SharadaRose
    Options
    Male or female you have a basic body structure. You can only get as big as your body personally allows. Some of us are built bigger than others. Some people have a smaller frame. The only way your going to exceed it is by Steroids. A guy with a small frame will never look like Conan no matter how much he lifts. Same with a female.
    There is nothing wrong with being muscular and female.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

I strength train, but I don't lift heavy. I rather cardio sculpt/ Cardio strength than regular strength training.

Thanks for sharing. I'm sure everyone here was waiting with baited breath for you to share your latest gem of knowledge.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Yes. Last summer I tried to ease my oldest daughter into the idea that she was getting too big to pick up. Now she's bigger and I have NO problem picking her up (and even throwing her around) and she weighs 40lbs. I also laugh when the guy at the pet food store wants to help me with my 45lb bags of food.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If a woman wants to look like a bodybuilder she will not get there by accident.

Can we say this a few more times?

Women who look like the women on the first page look that way because it's their JOB to look that way, and they work very hard at it. Saying, "I don't want to strength train because I don't want to end up looking like them," is like saying, "I don't want to read a book because I might accidentally become a rocket scientist." Or, "I can't eat one hotdog or I'll end up as a competitive eater like Takeru Kobayashi."

My goal isn't to look like a bodybuilder, either, but I appreciate what they do, and realize that doing a little bit of what they do is what's going to get me to my own goals. I like being strong. I like not needing help with the giant pet food bags, or moving furniture. I like not hurting myself trying to move heavy items. And when I'm 70, I want arms like Joy Philbin's, not the arms my grandma had at 70.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Exactly.

This is probably the beat advice/explenation about lifting for women I got. Thanks for posting :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,990 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind looking like jamie eason....but, I'm about 15 years too late - and, oh yeah, weight-training isn't my CAREER. Still, I keep trying, I really do....
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I've been told I was too muscular, but I've also been told that I was buff/ripped/lean etc. I think it's a matter of perception. I loved my body when I was in shape and I would have considered myself muscular/athletic. I lifted a TON. And ran, and mountain biked, and stairmilled, etc. It takes hours of physical activity per day/week to reach an elite fitness level. I don't kid myself thinking I'll look that way with the piddly little workouts I have time for these days.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason is tiny. Like 110 pounds. I have a hard time thinking anyone that weight is bulky, unless it was maybe a 4 year old.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason is tiny. Like 110 pounds. I have a hard time thinking anyone that weight is bulky, unless it was maybe a 4 year old.

These women are usually super petite...5'5 or under...and actually quite small. They are cut, but they probably only have an arm circumference of about 9 inches.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options

These women are usually super petite...5'5 or under...and actually quite small. They are cut, but they probably only have an arm circumference of about 9 inches.

Yup. Got a photo of her with one of the guys from my gym at the Olympias. He isn't real tall, and she almost looks like a doll next to him. Super sweet, though.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options

^^ used to think exactly like this, until I lost all my weight and still didn't like the excess fat on my body. Then I decided to focus on toning, that "perfect" body I wanted, I realized came from muscle and strength. I wish when I had started losing weight I had focused on muscle rather than cardio. I feel like I whither away when I do cardio, its good for my heart but other than that it feels like a waste.

and FYI, don't assume the pictures you saw are what you will ever look like. Those girls work incredibly hard and lift very large amounts of weight. It\s usually their job and primary focus (the one's not on roids atleast). I can guarantee, you wont have a body with that much muscle definition.. so maybe its a good thing you're not even trying.

I also used to think muscle was gross, again its a realization that most woman with the "ideal" bodies do weights. The ones who are twig skinny, are anorexic. Which ones more attractive to you?
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    women dont have the hormones as men to 'bulk up' also women in these pictures are probably on strick diet and exercise regiments. I dont think they are bulky at all. Very lean and hardly any body fat, they look great!!(EXCEPT FOR THE 1ST PIC)

to me bulky is when you are doing a bunch of weight training and youre not doing any type of cardio to drop your body fat %, so you wind up with both.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Love this LorinaLynn
    Saying, "I don't want to strength train because I don't want to end up looking like them," is like saying, "I don't want to read a book because I might accidentally become a rocket scientist." Or, "I can't eat one hotdog or I'll end up as a competitive eater like Takeru Kobayashi."
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

^^ used to think exactly like this, until I lost all my weight and still didn't like the excess fat on my body. Then I decided to focus on toning, that "perfect" body I wanted, I realized came from muscle and strength. I wish when I had started losing weight I had focused on muscle rather than cardio. I feel like I whither away when I do cardio, its good for my heart but other than that it feels like a waste.

and FYI, don't assume the pictures you saw are what you will ever look like. Those girls work incredibly hard and lift very large amounts of weight. It\s usually their job and primary focus (the one's not on roids atleast). I can guarantee, you wont have a body with that much muscle definition.. so maybe its a good thing you're not even trying.

I also used to think muscle was gross, again its a realization that most woman with the "ideal" bodies do weights. The ones who are twig skinny, are anorexic. Which ones more attractive to you?

Lady you're fighting a losing battle with this one!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Lady you're fighting a losing battle with this one!
    NEVER SURRENDER! TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!

klingon_body_builder.jpg