Those with children

Options
mleoni092708
mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
Does anyone else find raising children is MUCH harder than they thought it would be? I have one 3 year old daughter and she is literally driving me and my husband crazy. She's defiant and sassy. I feel like I spend all my time with her correcting her and threatening her with punishments (no cartoons, time out, etc) to get her to behave like a human being and we're both exhausted. She fights us on EVERYTHING. Doesn't want to eat, doesn't want to wear this, and brushing her teeth is a nightmare. We have to literally hold her down to brush them (she's already had 2 cavities). Doesn't want to go to bed, I could go on, but I'm sure you understand. I am very firm with her and let her know that her behavior will not be tolerated and I am consistent about it. It's just exhausting.

Does it ever end? Maybe I'm just not cut out for parenting. :sad:

Replies

• SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old and a 20 month old and trust me, I know what you mean. It seems like no matter what the consequence, they continually act crazy! I feel like all I do when I am with them is discipline them! It's awful! Parenting is SO tough! I would say it gets easier, and maybe it does a LITTLE at times, but it really never gets easy I think. It's always hard, just in different ways.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Totally in the same boat as you. I too have a 3 yo daughter and she can be such a pain! Some times I'm literally at my wits end (OK most of the time!) Anyway, we are working through this 1-2-3 Magic (you can get the book on amazon for pretty cheap) disipline program and it is helping, but being consistent seems to be the biggest key, regardless of the techinque. Just can't wait until 4!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find raising children is MUCH harder than they thought it would be?

Gosh yes. But I wouldn't trade it for anything! I only have a seven month old, but I am a fourth grade teacher. Are you a reader? These books have been VERY helpful to me:

1. The New Strong-Willed Child by James Dobson
    2. Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child: Eliminating Conflict by Establishing Clear, Firm and Respectful Boundaries by Robert J. MacKenzie
    3. The Birth Order Book by Kevin Leman
    4. The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Oh Honey, I was down the throat of all 3 of my kids lastnight, then saw my college son was up @3am posting on Facebook!! In looking back to when they were 3, I have to say their job is pretty much to challenge you. Probably what they still do at 18, 17, 14 & 12. Hmm...I haven't gotten far.

The only thing I will say to you is be patient. And keep that low tolerance level/have high expectations as to how they behave in the home & in public!

This too shall pass
    This too shall pass (that one was for me)

have a wonderful day, hug your kids tight & continue to be the good mommy I know you are.
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes it does get better...When they move out!!! LOL
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Every child is different and some are easier than others.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's not you except remember to be consistant let your no mean no. PLus each kids different but that age isn't it called the horrible three's they are learning to be alittle more independant. She may be one that needs spankn's(not abuse but a swat to the butt to make her realize whose boss). I have four kids and some are so hard headed you have to spank and one is so sensitive all you have to do is say no and she bawls.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would like to tell you that it ends, but in many cases it doesn't. I have a 9 year old daughter and a 4 month old son and she takes more energy from me then he does. And this is coming from strict, no nonsense parents ::sigh:: Good luck.....:ohwell:
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i have 3 boys (well not boys any more, ages 22, 20,18) and my youngest was VERY challenging!

1st school meeting was in kindergarten! It was very exhausting, but he has turned out to be such a great young man (still can be defiant, especially when he thinks he is right!!) but he has come a LONG way! Even the principle at school told me that he has done a complete 360 this year.....he is a senior in High School (october birthday).

It's actually quite funny, he sees kids acting up and looks at me and says 'how did you do it mom?!?' he knows he was a hard kid (attention deficient with NO meds) we just dealt with it and punished as seemed fit and prayed for the best :smile:

Good luck.....never thought i would say this, but I would go back in time in a heart beat, I am hating the thought of all 3 being gone (off to school, etc) next year at this time!!
  • Elisirmon
    Options
    Does anyone else find raising children is MUCH harder than they thought it would be?

Gosh yes. But I wouldn't trade it for anything! I only have a seven month old, but I am a fourth grade teacher. Are you a reader? These books have been VERY helpful to me:

1. The New Strong-Willed Child by James Dobson
    2. Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child: Eliminating Conflict by Establishing Clear, Firm and Respectful Boundaries by Robert J. MacKenzie
    3. The Birth Order Book by Kevin Leman
    4. The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman

good books!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation, they do eventually grow up, but the attitudes don't go away completely, they just change with age. I have a 19 year old daughter that I thought I might kill growing up, but she has turned into a pretty decent young lady. She even acts human most of the time now. I also have a 13 year old son and I can definitely say the boys are easier. It helps that he is a mama's boy and will generally listen to me. We have yet to see how he turns out, but so far he isn't too bad. I figure as long as they are staying out of trouble and behaving for others I can put up with the attitudes at home, to a point.

I always hear from others how good my kids are and how nice they are so I figure something is working. Good luck!
  • roberts1013
    roberts1013 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have 3 boys and some days it is easier. but most days I think they just do things to drive me insane. there is no such thing as a perfect kid or a perfect parent so don't be to hard on yourself!!!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old daughter going on 30 and a 5 year old son who thinks the world & my time revolves around him.

Oh and he has a motor mouth.

My daughter is me made-over, sassy mouth & all.

I should've just stuck with one, :laugh:

It's definitely not easy. That cliche about "when you have one child, you're a parent. When you have 2 or more, you become a referee" is the truest statement I've ever read/heard!

It's like seriously, guys......you NEED to fight & argue & nit-pick ALL. FREAKING. DAY. LONG?!?!?

They definitely keep me entertained, though.
  • lme0627
    lme0627 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find raising children is MUCH harder than they thought it would be? I have one 3 year old daughter and she is literally driving me and my husband crazy. She's defiant and sassy. I feel like I spend all my time with her correcting her and threatening her with punishments (no cartoons, time out, etc) to get her to behave like a human being and we're both exhausted. She fights us on EVERYTHING. Doesn't want to eat, doesn't want to wear this, and brushing her teeth is a nightmare. We have to literally hold her down to brush them (she's already had 2 cavities). Doesn't want to go to bed, I could go on, but I'm sure you understand. I am very firm with her and let her know that her behavior will not be tolerated and I am consistent about it. It's just exhausting.

Does it ever end? Maybe I'm just not cut out for parenting. :sad:

This could be me! I have a 3yr old son and for the past 3 months we have been struggling with so much as you have. I hear that it is the "challenging 3's" and it is much harder than 2's. I am starting to wonder if I need to attend a disiplince class! This morning was horrrible. I will check on the book that one member suggested. We try many different things and none seem to be working really well at this point. sigh...
  • Elisirmon
    Options
    It's not you except remember to be consistant let your no mean no. PLus each kids different but that age isn't it called the horrible three's they are learning to be alittle more independant. She may be one that needs spankn's(not abuse but a swat to the butt to make her realize whose boss). I have four kids and some are so hard headed you have to spank and one is so sensitive all you have to do is say no and she bawls.

BUT! They are all amazing kids and I wouldn't change them actually I would like more if I could.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have 5 year old identical twin girls... I feel your pain. I am a professional and university educated and on most days I wondered what the hell I had done to my life. I battled the madness by keeping them as busy as I possibly could. I joined the Y, accessed every progam I could and put them in the Y daycare while I worked out, for some well deserved mommy time. As for teeth brushing, it is what it is, get her an electric toothbrush, it works wonders (I have one with cavities and trust me a few freezings at the dentist and she brushes her teeth now and drinks water)

She will go to school soon and it will get better... You are not alone... and I'm sure you are doing a good job... we are so much harder on ourselves.
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    3 is a very difficult age! Hang in there it does get better. I am a mom of 5 children, including 5 year old twin boys. But I will say that my little girl is the biggest handful of all of them and she is stuck right in the middle of all these boys. Reward her when you catch her doing something good. Positive reinforcement works! I have "coupons" that I made on the computer such as "a free ice cream cone", or a "trip to the park" or you could do one for a "tea party with mom", something that is special to her. You will notice after a while she will want to please you rather than fight with you. She is seeking negative attention, as 3 year olds do, but you can turn that around in about a week or two. Good luck!!
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Hi... yep, I'm tracking with you. From time to time some of my children's (6) behaviors seem impossible to alter - they may be dangerous or simply irritating behaviors. But, for sure, the problems don't change very quickly and I'm eventually very frustrated - "batty." So, here's the advice I read somewhere that keeps coming back to me - "Work slowly and consistently on the behaviors that concern you the most. Change may take years." I think about how long it takes me to change the behaviors I have that I hate - and that is with me wanting the change for good, logical & intelligent reasons.
    Give your daughter good reasons to change - WITHOUT emotionality. In my experience, the girl "drama" makes changing behaviors so hard - so I try my best to not bring any emotion to the discussion...
    (:
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old. Both crazy boys!! My husband and I are so exhausted by the end of the night just trying to get the two of them to settle down. (complete lunatics, take after their father, ha ha). It makes it really hard to get a workout in when you are so mentally and physically drained. I hope knowing others are in the same boat eases your pain!
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have 10 children ranging from 23-3. It is a hard job but the rewards and lessons learned are beyond anything I could have imagined when my husband and I started this journey all those years ago.

As an 'older' mom my best (unsolicited) advice to younger moms is train your children when they are young. Training is key to not only enjoying your children but liking them too. Children are meant to be enjoyed...sadly so many parents do not enjoy their children.