Breakfast Makes me Starving!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    if you are eating carbs for breakfast without substantial protein, your body is sending out an insulin response. Then when the sugars are gone, you are hungry again. Eat greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, etc. with your carbs. Something that doesn't convert readily to sugar.

I eat a half of cup of greek yoguart with a half of a cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    if you are eating carbs for breakfast without substantial protein, your body is sending out an insulin response. Then when the sugars are gone, you are hungry again. Eat greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, etc. with your carbs. Something that doesn't convert readily to sugar.

I eat a half of cup of greek yoguart with a half of a cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries....

Some mornings I have a protein smoothie made with peanut butter, banana, and almond milk. With that, I am good until lunch, but everyone is different. If you don't think breakfast is doing you any good, and you don't want to try some other foods, then try the IF approach. It works for some people.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    check this out...it is the Sumo Wrestlers Diet

http://www.intermartialarts.com/article/sumo-wrestler-diet

To quote the article:
    The average daily intake of calories for a man is 3000-3500. A sumo wrestler consumes 20,000 calories a day, split between two very large meals of 10,000 calories each. By sleeping after a meal of 10,000 calories a sumo wrestlers body is able to process them slowly for storage (as fat).

So, the Sumo wrestler were to consume said 20,000 calories earlier in the day, they wouldn't be as fat?

Right.
  • Amanda0325
    Options
    There are several studies, I'm sure you can find some or all of them with a quick internet search. But what is important is the reasons the findings provide for why breakfast helps with weight control. All of the studies I've read give the same reason. People who skip breakfast to lower calorie consumption tend to eat more later because they are hungrier. But that is not the same as saying that everyone who skips breakfast will eat more later.

The OP said that because of the research, she "feels like she should" eat breakfast. The research you describe shouldn't leave the OP with the impression that she "should" eat breakfast, especially when the reasons given conflict with her personal experiences

Yes, I agree. But many people don't read the actual studies they just hear blurbs about them on the news or in magazines which don't always delve too deeply into the results. They may only read/hear the headline "Study Results Show Eating Breakfast Helps With Weight Loss" or the article may only say something like "88% of study participants who lost weight or maintained a healthy weight ate breakfast." Stuff like that can get confusing when you don't have the time or desire to find and read the study yourself. Especially when you read/hear it more than once.
    ps I know that it doesn't boost my metabolizism to eat in the morning, more so to keep me from binging and eating in the afternoon. Just saying I feel like I should eat breakfast to prevent that but i think its not working lol
  • CurlyQ9269
    Options
    That happens to me too! I never use to eat breakfast but with all the studies about how it helps your metabolism and gives you energy I figured I should start eating breakfast. Usually all I eat is an apple, but by the time lunch rolls around I use to starving. But... now that I've been eating breakfast my body has seemed to adjust. I'm not as hungry by the time lunch rolls around. Give it some time :smile:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    There are several studies, I'm sure you can find some or all of them with a quick internet search. But what is important is the reasons the findings provide for why breakfast helps with weight control. All of the studies I've read give the same reason. People who skip breakfast to lower calorie consumption tend to eat more later because they are hungrier. But that is not the same as saying that everyone who skips breakfast will eat more later.

The OP said that because of the research, she "feels like she should" eat breakfast. The research you describe shouldn't leave the OP with the impression that she "should" eat breakfast, especially when the reasons given conflict with her personal experiences

Yes, I agree. But many people don't read the actual studies they just hear blurbs about them on the news or in magazines which don't always delve too deeply into the results. They may only read/hear the headline "Study Results Show Eating Breakfast Helps With Weight Loss" or the article may only say something like "88% of study participants who lost weight or maintained a healthy weight ate breakfast." Stuff like that can get confusing when you don't have the time or desire to find and read the study yourself. Especially when you read/hear it more than once.
    ps I know that it doesn't boost my metabolizism to eat in the morning, more so to keep me from binging and eating in the afternoon. Just saying I feel like I should eat breakfast to prevent that but i think its not working lol
    No one here can tell you whether skipping breakfast will lead you to make bad decisions later in the day. Like I said before, I believe there is some research showing correlations between eating breakfast and making good choices and skipping breakfast leads to worse choices. But keep in mind that those people are "average Joes" who likely aren't thinking all that much about health and weight management like the people on this site. Try it and see what happens.
  • lhoselton
    lhoselton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic, so I am hungry the minute I awaken. When I first started this I made the mistake of not eating enough at breakfast, wanting to "save" calories for later in the day. I have found I have better weight loss when I eat more calories at breakfast and then have a small mid morning snack. Also, if I don't have a mid afternoon snack, my blood sugar just gets too low, which is not good. So for me, I have found I need to try to eat more and breakfast. I usually start the day with light yogurt and add a little something else to it.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    The problem with waiting until you are hungry to eat is that your body needs the fuel, even when you don't feel hungry. When you don't eat, your metabolism slows, and you are slow to feel hungry.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    The problem with waiting until you are hungry to eat is that your body needs the fuel, even when you don't feel hungry. When you don't eat, your metabolism slows, and you are slow to feel hungry.

It takes weeks and a big drop in calories for the metabolism to slow properly and cause issues with weight loss. Skipping breakfast will not do that.
  • Amanda0325
    Options
    wasn't too bad this morning.. i waited til i was actually hungry and stomach growling.. around 11ish to eat my breakfast and I'm just finishign my lunch now.. think i'mg oing to just eat when I'm hungry for breakfast from now on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Really? My metabolism will slow so much that my body has trouble knowing when it's hungry?? I must say I find that very hard to believe.