Gym/Locker Room Etiquette

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I suggest asking to use them. I'd say 95% of the people I ask will let you use them. If they give you attitude, then say I could have been done with my set in the time you've been standing there hanging onto them. I ask all the time. If someone asks me, I say "sure, want to work in?".
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do ask, and did in one case. But I am still new to the gym and felt awkward asking for them out of her hands in the other case. I also assumed since she was holding them, she was going to start using them any second now. I ended up just doing something else.

ETA- new to THAT gym, not new to the gym.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    haha - great topic. Hate deliberate dropping of weights - if you were strong enough to be lifting with them to start with you're strong enough to put them down softly - it's not impressive.

I often lift the 75lb dumbells for sets of 8 or so. sorry but I'm pretty gassed out to be courteous about your feelings. Plus trying to set them down of the floor gently can cause an shoulder injury. I try to drop them on their ends so they don't gain too much speed but they are going to fall.

And same thing about my deads. at 315lbs for a set of 4, my left hand is loosing it's grip fast. If it fall, it falls. I ain't risking a back injury trying to set it down gently for you.

I did say DELIBERATE dropping of weights - people understand sometimes they fall if you push it too far. But that's it - if you have to drop them - you're almost certainly doing too many reps. Try dropping a couple of reps, and do another set. Less likely to risk and injury, and tick people off. (yeah dropping weights is annoying - it doesn't hurt my feelings -just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I'm over-emotional)

You know sometimes when people do things differently, it might be because they have something useful.
    gotta jump in here.. guys lift differently than women.. to gain size, you have to lift very heavy. thats why some guys do 4-6 sets on certain days. they do go higher reps on other days with lighter weights. so i understand when they drop the weights every once in a while..

but i understand the types of idiots you are talking about.. youtube jim rome on gym guy. i hate those clowns
  • twirwin
    Options
    haha - great topic. Hate deliberate dropping of weights - if you were strong enough to be lifting with them to start with you're strong enough to put them down softly - it's not impressive.

I often lift the 75lb dumbells for sets of 8 or so. sorry but I'm pretty gassed out to be courteous about your feelings. Plus trying to set them down of the floor gently can cause an shoulder injury. I try to drop them on their ends so they don't gain too much speed but they are going to fall.

And same thing about my deads. at 315lbs for a set of 4, my left hand is loosing it's grip fast. If it fall, it falls. I ain't risking a back injury trying to set it down gently for you.

I did say DELIBERATE dropping of weights - people understand sometimes they fall if you push it too far. But that's it - if you have to drop them - you're almost certainly doing too many reps. Try dropping a couple of reps, and do another set. Less likely to risk and injury, and tick people off. (yeah dropping weights is annoying - it doesn't hurt my feelings -just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I'm over-emotional)

You know sometimes when people do things differently, it might be because they have something useful.

Dropping reps? I can do the reps fine. Just gassed out at the end to drop them softly. Tell you what, you flat bench 2 75lb dumbells and try to drop them softly. Not going to happen. I there to work out and push myself. Not to be PC. I'm not there screaming and grunting but the weights I use are heavy sometimes. People have to understand that.

What's sort of annoying to me is seeing people that are annoyed that I have to drop the dumbells sometimes. Just because my weights drop with a THUD vs your 10lb "tink", doesnt' make me some arrogant muscle head.

Actually, your behavior in this thread make you seem like a pretty arrogant muscle head. I lift some pretty heavy weights, but I have the ability to put them down fairly gently.

Don't be a douche. Some people drop weights inappropriately loudly.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    If anything, it lets them know that they are doing nothing with the weights and get it gear so someone else can use them.
  • shunkawakon
    shunkawakon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hate the guys that come in "full costume"....baggy jeans, stupid *kitten* straight-brimmed hat and in their stupid jerseys....soooo annoying! nobody should be there trying to impress anyone!!!

also, there are a lot of naked women walking around my locker room....and of course I have to avert the eyes downward. Sometimes I accidentally catch their eyes and they stare at me like I'm a creep, but COME ON stop hanging out all naked! put a towel on! I am NOT checking you out! ug!

My workout buddy also got hit on, and creeply stared down by one guy. He came up and bugged her about it with me. Annoying, we have a schedule here buddy, we're trying to get s*** done!! Stop being a creep this is no place to ask women out on dates!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    DE-LOAD YOUR PLATES.

and...

Don't curl / talk on your cell phones / chat with your brahs in the squat rack, brocacho.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If anything, it lets them know that they are doing nothing with the weights and get it gear so someone else can use them.

Good point.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Dropping reps? I can do the reps fine. Just gassed out at the end to drop them softly. Tell you what, you flat bench 2 75lb dumbells and try to drop them softly. Not going to happen. I there to work out and push myself. Not to be PC. I'm not there screaming and grunting but the weights I use are heavy sometimes. People have to understand that.

What's sort of annoying to me is seeing people that are annoyed that I have to drop the dumbells sometimes. Just because my weights drop with a THUD vs your 10lb "tink", doesnt' make me some arrogant muscle head.

Actually, your behavior in this thread make you seem like a pretty arrogant muscle head. I lift some pretty heavy weights, but I have the ability to put them down fairly gently.

Don't be a douche. Some people drop weights inappropriately loudly.

I do put them down as gently as I can. But if my grip on the dead liftbar fails, what exactly do you want me to do about it? Try to catch it mid air and set it down nice and soft?

I bet I put down the dumbells just as gently as you. But I bet the both of us put them down to loud for that particular person.

I'm not doing power clean to an overhead press than just slamming the weight down from 6ft in the air.
  • jheath123
    Options
    This is a great thread, basically we all have the same pet peeves when it comes to the gym, and we're all here to basically back up and support each other. We all have the same people that walk around like they own the gym or sit on a machine that you need to use, knowing you need to use it. Whether we admit it or not we check each other out be it a glance, a stare, or the eventual restraining order, some people just have no common courtesy when it comes to a public setting. People are going to drop weights and grunt and push themselves it is the gym, just don't hurt yourself.
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that at my gym:
    1) Talking on cell phone in gym area is not allowed
    2) Jeans are not allowed
    3) Dropping weights is not allowed
    4) Load groaning or similar noises are not allowed

But the one that bugs me is when I'm trying to do my circuit training and go quickly from one machine to the next, and there are people just sitting around on the machines. Especially when it's in the 30-minute circuit training area...those are there for people to move through the machines quickly in a specific order. If you want to wander from one machine to another or just sit around, go to the other side of the gym and get of my way! Arg!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    people reading magazines or books while on the cardio equipment. I'm so focused when I'm working out, my mind is in the zone, I can't imagine trying to read at the same time. For some people it works and if they're fit looking it's obviously working for them. But when someone out of shape has the treadmill on 2.0 and is browsing a magazine it just bugs the crap out of me! Sorry :ohwell:

I do read books and magazines while riding bike station or do slow walk on treadmill. Sometimes I spend 4 hours at the gym until I finish reading my book. It would burn more calorie than reading on the sofa.
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

What makes arrogant muscle heads are those assuming that certain others, e.g. women, AREN'T there to work out and push themselves.

And for the record I lift a hella lot more than 10lbs - but even so it's the same with weights machines, do your leg press with whatever resistance - do enough reps to push to your limit but where you can still let the weights back down easy.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'd be on most of your gym 'hate' lists...

I drop weights.
    I take pride in my appearance and dress accordingly.
    I only rerack barbells and weight racks to a weight that I deem appropriate for warming up.
    I sometimes dance to my own music.
    I may grunt from time to time.

My life is bro.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

What makes arrogant muscle heads are those assuming that certain others, e.g. women, AREN'T there to work out and push themselves.

And for the record I lift a hella lot more than 10lbs - but even so it's the same with weights machines, do your leg press with whatever resistance - do enough reps to push to your limit but where you can still let the weights back down easy.

It would appear you're my target audience. If you think using weight machines is the same as using free weights, then you are way out of your league here. Leg press is NOT the same as a free weight squat. A bench machine is NOT the same as free weight bench or free weight barbells. I haven't really seen a machine for deads.
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

It would appear you're my target audience. If you think using weight machines is the same as using free weights, then you are way out of your league here. Leg press is NOT the same as a free weight squat. A bench machine is NOT the same as free weight bench or free weight barbells. I haven't really seen a machine for deads.

I didn't say they were the same. The strongest women can use weight machines to push themselves to their limits. It's about knowing what is too much (too heavy or too many reps) for YOU.

But there's no point arguing with an arrogant misogynist. Have fun strutting round in your little world.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is why I love my home gym. I can grunt and cry in pain as loud as I want to, something I'd never do in a public gym.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    The majority of my hatred is aimed at those that deliberately make it a pain in the *kitten* to go to the gym and do not follow the posted rules. The rules really aren't plentiful at my gym, but it doesn't ONLY cater to powerlifters, so that 300 pounds you left racked on the squat rack probably just deterred others from using it. I'll de-rack it and re-rack to 150 or whatever I'm squatting/DL-ing that day, begrudgingly, while staring at the GIANT SIGN ON THE WALL that says to de-rack the barbells.
  • Barneystinson
    Options

FWIW I DL @ 160+ and can still set the barbell down without a massive thud.

If I was looking to be loud and slam weights down, it wouldn't be happening at my current gym - I'd probably have to start going to the other small gym where powerlifters go...
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is why I love my

Cat in a basket!