Gym/Locker Room Etiquette

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    haha - great topic. Hate deliberate dropping of weights - if you were strong enough to be lifting with them to start with you're strong enough to put them down softly - it's not impressive.

I often lift the 75lb dumbells for sets of 8 or so. sorry but I'm pretty gassed out to be courteous about your feelings. Plus trying to set them down of the floor gently can cause an shoulder injury. I try to drop them on their ends so they don't gain too much speed but they are going to fall.

And same thing about my deads. at 315lbs for a set of 4, my left hand is loosing it's grip fast. If it fall, it falls. I ain't risking a back injury trying to set it down gently for you.

I did say DELIBERATE dropping of weights - people understand sometimes they fall if you push it too far. But that's it - if you have to drop them - you're almost certainly doing too many reps. Try dropping a couple of reps, and do another set. Less likely to risk and injury, and tick people off. (yeah dropping weights is annoying - it doesn't hurt my feelings -just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I'm over-emotional)

You know sometimes when people do things differently, it might be because they have something useful.

Dropping reps? I can do the reps fine. Just gassed out at the end to drop them softly. Tell you what, you flat bench 2 75lb dumbells and try to drop them softly. Not going to happen. I there to work out and push myself. Not to be PC. I'm not there screaming and grunting but the weights I use are heavy sometimes. People have to understand that.

What's sort of annoying to me is seeing people that are annoyed that I have to drop the dumbells sometimes. Just because my weights drop with a THUD vs your 10lb "tink", doesnt' make me some arrogant muscle head.
    What makes arrogant muscle heads are those assuming that certain others, e.g. women, AREN'T there to work out and push themselves.

And for the record I lift a hella lot more than 10lbs - but even so it's the same with weights machines, do your leg press with whatever resistance - do enough reps to push to your limit but where you can still let the weights back down easy.

It would appear you're my target audience. If you think using weight machines is the same as using free weights, then you are way out of your league here. Leg press is NOT the same as a free weight squat. A bench machine is NOT the same as free weight bench or free weight barbells. I haven't really seen a machine for deads.

I didn't say they were the same. The strongest women can use weight machines to push themselves to their limits. It's about knowing what is too much (too heavy or too many reps) for YOU.

But there's no point arguing with an arrogant misogynist. Have fun strutting round in your little world.

You don't understand. machines and free weights aren't the same. Period. Suggesting that the two are direct subsitutes is bad advice and wrong. I'm only arrogant to you because I don't put down the weights like they are delicate butterflies.

I do what I do to get to where I need to go. I let people work in, I help others, I spot others, I offer to spot others, I offer advice if I see someone doing something dangerous with their technique. If that's world you disapprove of, then yes, you need to not enter it. I'm interested in getting things done and helping others do the same.

Accusing me of hatred of women, that's a joke and frankly a poor attempt at crticism to hide your insecurities.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    people reading magazines or books while on the cardio equipment. I'm so focused when I'm working out, my mind is in the zone, I can't imagine trying to read at the same time. For some people it works and if they're fit looking it's obviously working for them. But when someone out of shape has the treadmill on 2.0 and is browsing a magazine it just bugs the crap out of me! Sorry :ohwell:

I agree on principle but sometimes I put a magazine on my machine to cover up my screen - I get obsessed with the numbers and get distracted. Maybe a touch OCD, I know. Also, if someone wants to have a leisurely work-out once in a while, good on them. At least they're moving instead of sitting on the couch.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I think this has to do with a difference in gym atmosphere. For example, I had a membership to Golds Gym (mostly men Weight training) and Ballys (mostly women mostly cardio). At Golds, weight dropping and grunting was common-it's to be expected when lifting heavy weights. It's part of the sport. It was more of a brotherhood..people would ask if you'd needed a spot before you'd have to ask for one. But at Ballys, there was less weight dropping, non-existent grunting, and lots of cell phone talking. I think it's beat to check out multiple gyms and pick one that fits your exercise routine the best, instead of trying to change it. But for basic etiquette like wiping down your machine and not hogging it, being rude, excessive nudity, has to deal more with your upbringing than a gym's atmosphere
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oops double post
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    haha - great topic. Hate deliberate dropping of weights - if you were strong enough to be lifting with them to start with you're strong enough to put them down softly - it's not impressive.

I often lift the 75lb dumbells for sets of 8 or so. sorry but I'm pretty gassed out to be courteous about your feelings. Plus trying to set them down of the floor gently can cause an shoulder injury. I try to drop them on their ends so they don't gain too much speed but they are going to fall.

And same thing about my deads. at 315lbs for a set of 4, my left hand is loosing it's grip fast. If it fall, it falls. I ain't risking a back injury trying to set it down gently for you.

I did say DELIBERATE dropping of weights - people understand sometimes they fall if you push it too far. But that's it - if you have to drop them - you're almost certainly doing too many reps. Try dropping a couple of reps, and do another set. Less likely to risk and injury, and tick people off. (yeah dropping weights is annoying - it doesn't hurt my feelings -just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I'm over-emotional)

You know sometimes when people do things differently, it might be because they have something useful.

Dropping reps? I can do the reps fine. Just gassed out at the end to drop them softly. Tell you what, you flat bench 2 75lb dumbells and try to drop them softly. Not going to happen. I there to work out and push myself. Not to be PC. I'm not there screaming and grunting but the weights I use are heavy sometimes. People have to understand that.

What's sort of annoying to me is seeing people that are annoyed that I have to drop the dumbells sometimes. Just because my weights drop with a THUD vs your 10lb "tink", doesnt' make me some arrogant muscle head.
    What makes arrogant muscle heads are those assuming that certain others, e.g. women, AREN'T there to work out and push themselves.

And for the record I lift a hella lot more than 10lbs - but even so it's the same with weights machines, do your leg press with whatever resistance - do enough reps to push to your limit but where you can still let the weights back down easy.

It would appear you're my target audience. If you think using weight machines is the same as using free weights, then you are way out of your league here. Leg press is NOT the same as a free weight squat. A bench machine is NOT the same as free weight bench or free weight barbells. I haven't really seen a machine for deads.

FWIW I DL @ 160+ and can still set the barbell down without a massive thud.

If I was looking to be loud and slam weights down, it wouldn't be happening at my current gym - I'd probably have to start going to the other small gym where powerlifters go...

I set down 135lbs, 185lbs, 225lbs, 275lbs and 315lbs very gently if the reps are low. If I do 315 for 4, I'll be on the edge of losing my grip (yes I need to strengthen my grip or use wrist straps). but if the choice is putting down the weight hard on the very last rep or risking my back, sorry my back health is going to win out here.
  • mwoneis
    Options
    What a great topic!
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I think this has to do with a difference in gym atmosphere. For example, I had a membership to Golds Gym (mostly men Weight training) and Ballys (mostly women mostly cardio). At Golds, weight dropping and grunting was common-it's to be expected when lifting heavy weights. It's part of the sport. It was more of a brotherhood..people would ask if you'd needed a spot before you'd have to ask for one. But at Ballys, there was less weight dropping, non-existent grunting, and lots of cell phone talking. I think it's beat to check out multiple gyms and pick one that fits your exercise routine the best, instead of trying to change it. But for basic etiquette like wiping down your machine and not hogging it, being rude, excessive nudity, has to deal more with your upbringing than a gym's atmosphere

Best post so far.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lady being nude in the sauna and not sitting on a towel, ew - I said straight away that that was gross and the sign clearly states you need to sit on a towel. She ignored me, and later broke wind. Grossest behaviour so far at the gym.

I work hard at the gym but I also look cute. Weird behaviour doesn't usually bother me, I find it highly amusing.

GG
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    just wipe the machine down after youre done.
    quit chatting like its a club
    dont ask me to work in.. i rest for 20-30 seconds, and only do 3 sets.
    dont use 4 different workout machines when there is 100 people working out.. have some damn common sense

Yeah, but in those 30 LONG seconds someone can do their ONE set that you might've jumped on the machine while they were supersetting/circuiting anyway... Aaaagh... Don't be an equipment hog. If they have the courtesy to ask is because they know what they're doing.

agreed!
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is why I love my home gym. I can grunt and cry in pain as loud as I want to, something I'd never do in a public gym.

Exactly... I was just reading this and thinking "And this is why I don't go to the gym...."
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Using the sauna as a changing room! This one woman came into the sauna and proceeded to remove her swimsuit, dry off while sitting on the bench and change into her street clothes. So awkward. It took her forever, too. Others are doing it, so much that I now go into the mixed sauna rather than the women-only sauna. At least in the mixed sauna people act appropriately.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    lol love the nude old ladies and their hanging titties on my face!! lol...that's what I live for.....

I didn't see that one coming. You win
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lady being nude in the sauna and not sitting on a towel, ew - I said straight away that that was gross and the sign clearly states you need to sit on a towel. She ignored me, and later broke wind. Grossest behaviour so far at the gym.

I work hard at the gym but I also look cute. Weird behaviour doesn't usually bother me, I find it highly amusing.

GG

LOL thats so nasty but you know if you saw this scene in a movie it would be an instant classic!!!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If I can hear your headphones from ten feet away, you need to turn them down, or get a set that seals properly.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    a little off topic, but its waaaaaay too funny when guys stare at themselves in the mirror, and tocuh their arms . it just cracks me up !!!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    a little off topic, but its waaaaaay too funny when guys stare at themselves in the mirror, and tocuh their arms . it just cracks me up !!!

I flex my glutes in the mirror. Then check for firmness. :blushing:
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I flex my glutes in the mirror. Then check for firmness. :blushing:

haha i feel like every guy does that. and its interesting coz they dont get shy doing it. i mean i would if i was looking at my legs or arms in the middle of the gym lol
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Not really an etiquette thing, but what's the point of ramping up your treadmill if you're just going to hold onto the handrails? :huh:
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    love this thread! bump
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Not really an etiquette thing, but what's the point of ramping up your treadmill if you're just going to hold onto the handrails? :huh:

I wonder that too:laugh: