People are so mean :(

Options
13»

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

So yeah, they are a little on the podgy side, but why is that seen as a reason for criticism? Why does anyone care?

because theyre famous and are wearing unforgiving super-tight dresses.

if noone cared about celebrities, neither of them would be in as much work as they are. Being criticised is as much part of it as being adulated
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

So yeah, they are a little on the podgy side, but why is that seen as a reason for criticism? Why does anyone care?

if noone cared about celebrities, neither of them would be in as much work as they are. Being criticised is as much part of it as being adulated

I would agree about models and maybe film stars, but they are famous for their voices, not their figures, and as I said, no one criticises opera singers for their weight. It's a weird different standards thing going on. TBH I hadn't heard of the Kelly one until this thread. Is she famous?
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Wow, some of those comments are foul.

I think both women look good. I wonder how many of their critics have that sort of talent and success (and look even half as good in their clothes).

In life it pays to be very selective about what feedback one takes on board.
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    Btw, when opera singers move into the mainstream they certainly attract lots of flak for their weight. I remember Monserrat Caballe being called 'Monster Fat Caballe' after she did her Barcelona duet with Freddie Mercury.

Having said that I don't recall anybody calling Pavarotti anything like as nasty a name, so maybe all the spleen is reserved for women.

Yup, it's a tough life if you actually manage to achieve anything during your short time on earth.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Having said that I don't recall anybody calling Pavarotti anything like as nasty a name, so maybe all the spleen is reserved for women.

I think that is very true.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

I would agree about models and maybe film stars, but they are famous for their voices, not their figures, and as I said, no one criticises opera singers for their weight. It's a weird different standards thing going on. TBH I hadn't heard of the Kelly one until this thread. Is she famous?

I dont think any singer these days is only famous for their voice. You rarely get an unnattractive singer that becomes famous and stays popular. Certainly for women anyway. I can only think of Susan Boyle.

Its sad that this is the case, but as you can see by the OP, its the general public as a whole that perpetuates it, probably even more than the music industry itself
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the comments on TMZ and I have tears in my eyes. How can people be so cruel??
    I don't like Christina Aguilera much, but I LOOOVVEE Kelly Clarkson. Ever since she was on American Idol she has always been my favorite singer. I think Kelly looks great...yeah, she's gained a little weight, but we all gain and lose weight at different times of the year. I think it's pretty hypocritical for those internet trolls to rag on her weight, especially at this time of year.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think Kelly looks good! I don't like she wears bigger dresses, as they add weight to her.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    #1 - Kelly is hot
    #2 - You are hot

:drinker:

END.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    they have no friends and nobody likes em! jesus told me so!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    You are right...people are mean. People forget words do hurt..whether via email, text, in person, or tweet or whatever media...people need to be careful what they say.
    When I was bigger I had folks say all kinds of things to me to my face. So do people really believe bc I was overweight, big people don't have feelinfgs??? So you can say anything and I won't be offended or hurt?
    All of us go thru hard times in our lives and have struggles. To berate someone versus helping them is just pure hatred. I don't know much about Kelly but I have heard Cristina has a lot of emotional pain in her life....she may be struggling now. I don't like TMZ all they do is slander people..pious and arrogant. Humph!!!!!!