The "Olivia Method" - the cool new way to set up your MFP go

Options

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    For all the 'hurting' brains - it's just a different way to look at it. If you set MFP goal to lose 2 pounds a week then eat your daily calorie allowance and any calories you burn for exercise (not necessarily all in one day but just shoot to be at an average of 0- over or under for the week in total calories). The way Olivia is explaining is just a difference for motivation- set the goal to be what you need to maintain and then if you post a 7000 calorie deficit for the week (3500 calories = 1 pound) then you should lose 2 pounds. Obviously for some- seeing a large green deficit is more of a motivator.
    In my opinion it's easier to set MFP for your true goal (weight loss per week) and shoot for even at the end of the week. But it's all about whatever works best for you!

Not totally. I shouldn't be eating less than my BMR regardless. It's what my body needs to sustain life efficiently. MFP had me at 1200 calories regardless of how much I wanted to lose because it just won't go any lower unless you manually override it. If I wasn't exercising, I wasn't eating enough to be healthy. My body fought back by not losing weight. Now that I eat enough food based on my BMR, I've dropped weight despite days of no activity.

MFP has me at 1200 per day, and I lost weight for the first couple weeks, but I've hit a plateau since then; however following this method says I MUST eat almost 2300 per day (BMR*1.3). That worries me. If it had me increase my calorie intake by like 200 or so, but over 1000?! That doesn't seem right.

I've been told that people can tell that I've lost weight, and I'm afraid such a large increase will have me blow up like a balloon. I rarely exercise (bad, I know) so I'm worried that taking in 2300+ per day is going to make me gain like crazy.
  • Insanitybuff
    Insanitybuff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK, I've updated MFP goal settings to mirror this Olivia Method. I only have 12 lbs. to lose, but I've been on a 1200 calorie diet and can't seem to break the 2 lb. mark. I yo-yo up and down 1 lb. at a time...so frustrating!!! I hope this works!
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bumping so it's added to my list for future reference :) going to defintely try it!
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    so my BMR is 1623 and my weight is 200. How would I do the Olivia method?
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have a Q system. :flowerforyou:

I love you and your system.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    For all the 'hurting' brains - it's just a different way to look at it. If you set MFP goal to lose 2 pounds a week then eat your daily calorie allowance and any calories you burn for exercise (not necessarily all in one day but just shoot to be at an average of 0- over or under for the week in total calories). The way Olivia is explaining is just a difference for motivation- set the goal to be what you need to maintain and then if you post a 7000 calorie deficit for the week (3500 calories = 1 pound) then you should lose 2 pounds. Obviously for some- seeing a large green deficit is more of a motivator.
    In my opinion it's easier to set MFP for your true goal (weight loss per week) and shoot for even at the end of the week. But it's all about whatever works best for you!

Not totally. I shouldn't be eating less than my BMR regardless. It's what my body needs to sustain life efficiently. MFP had me at 1200 calories regardless of how much I wanted to lose because it just won't go any lower unless you manually override it. If I wasn't exercising, I wasn't eating enough to be healthy. My body fought back by not losing weight. Now that I eat enough food based on my BMR, I've dropped weight despite days of no activity.

MFP has me at 1200 per day, and I lost weight for the first couple weeks, but I've hit a plateau since then; however following this method says I MUST eat almost 2300 per day (BMR*1.3). That worries me. If it had me increase my calorie intake by like 200 or so, but over 1000?! That doesn't seem right.

I've been told that people can tell that I've lost weight, and I'm afraid such a large increase will have me blow up like a balloon. I rarely exercise (bad, I know) so I'm worried that taking in 2300+ per day is going to make me gain like crazy.

You won't be eating 2300, you will just have your MFP set to 2300, but you will actually only be eating your BMR, which is usually around 300-500 calories less than that. So, even on days you don't exercise you would still have a defiicit of that many towards your weekly deficit...and 500 calories equals a pound of week (that's NO exercise).
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1357 and my maintenance 1764 so now what do I do to figure this out? Do you find theymaintenance calories by BMR x 1.3?
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options

1623 is the amount you would eat. Not less, and only 1-200 over. Now go into Goals and have MFP reset your calories goals as if you were now trying to maintian your current weight. Say Sedentary with zero days exercise and zero calories burned and in the drop down select MAINTAIN MY CURRENT WEIGHT.

Now, when you stop at 1623 calories, the difference will be displayed in green where your net calories normally are. The goal is to have this between 500-1000 at end of day. It won't be 1,000 unless you exercise. So, exercise, track the calories you burn (don't eat em back) until you get the number to 1,000. If you go over, then you can eat anything in excess of 1,000.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options

1623 is the amount you would eat. Not less, and only 1-200 over. Now go into Goals and have MFP reset your calories goals as if you were now trying to maintian your current weight. Say Sedentary with zero days exercise and zero calories burned and in the drop down select MAINTAIN MY CURRENT WEIGHT.

Now, when you stop at 1623 calories, the difference will be displayed in green where your net calories normally are. The goal is to have this between 500-1000 at end of day. It won't be 1,000 unless you exercise. So, exercise, track the calories you burn (don't eat em back) until you get the number to 1,000. If you go over, then you can eat anything in excess of 1,000.

Thanks. I will try this to see how it works.
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Seeing if I have this correct

BMR = 1397
    1397*1.3 = 1816 (that's the number I set my calorie goal for, right?)
    1397+1000=2397-1816=581

And the goal is to keep your green number between 500-1000 each day? Right? Thanks! :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The number we are choosing to maintain....is the number we are now, or the number we want to be?

Now, you will need to periodically recalculate as you lose weight to assure you are not eating too many calories.

Thank you!!!!
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

You won't be eating 2300, you will just have your MFP set to 2300, but you will actually only be eating your BMR, which is usually around 300-500 calories less than that. So, even on days you don't exercise you would still have a defiicit of that many towards your weekly deficit...and 500 calories equals a pound of week (that's NO exercise).

Thanks. I'll have to try it. I haven't lost anything in the last couple weeks. I just assumed I had gained over Thanksgiving and relost it so I'll have to try this and see what happens.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any success with this? And, i'm getting the impression that this maybe isn't a good method for people who don't work out much (burn maybe 800 per week) ....is that true?
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Kicking to read later - thanks for the info!
  • cjtx2
    cjtx2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    (Bump)
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any success with this? And, i'm getting the impression that this maybe isn't a good method for people who don't work out much (burn maybe 800 per week) ....is that true?

It's not that it wouldn't work, so much as it's not needed as much. Big calorie burning workouts often complicate things more in terms of losing weight. But it still works for people who don't exercise as much - and might even be an incentive for bumping up that deficit.

Check out the group though (and the progress threads), it seems to be working for others (besides myself) - I'm down 5 pounds now in 2 weeks :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1170-olivia-method
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

It's not that it wouldn't work, so much as it's not needed as much. Big calorie burning workouts often complicate things more in terms of losing weight. But it still works for people who don't exercise as much - and might even be an incentive for bumping up that deficit.

Check out the group though (and the progress threads), it seems to be working for others (besides myself) - I'm down 5 pounds now in 2 weeks :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1170-olivia-method

5 lbs in two weeks?!?!?! I soooo want this to be me too!!! I will let you know for sure!!! ;)
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This totally just went over my head. I am going to have to re-read this again.. and again..
  • Khorner84
    Khorner84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump