Weight Loss Surgery--I CANNOT Believe I Am Posting This!

Options
Well I posted this on my wall, and have not received any feed back yet...so I thought I would try my luck here.

Alright....well I just found out that my new insurance plan DOES cover lapband and gastric bypass and the sleeve with very minimal cost to me. I looked it up and some people who have the same insurance I do, paid only $500 total. So I was sort of looking into it. There is a class that you take once a week for 24 weeks (so about 6 months)...anyway, I am sort of looking into it. Not seriously yet, but sort of just checking things out. Would anyone consider this option if they were having a super hard time losing weigh on their own? That is where I am at. It is just soooo hard to do it. Just looking for feed back.

Replies

• skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My aunt did it and lost like a 100 lbs in less than a year.
  • Justice2012
    Justice2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There are some requirements that must be met. For example......you have to be at LEAST 100 pounds over weight. Which I am since I am only 5'2 and weigh about 230. Your BMI has to be at least 40, and mine is 42. You also have to have some issues or problems to your health in order to be considered...well I have high cholesterol too. So I am a good candidate. For me to lose 100 pounds is a LOT! I feel so overwhelmed...that is why I am looking into this.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Are the classes on how to maintain your future healthy weight?

I know several who gained Everything back afterward, that's why I ask.
  • marialerondon
    marialerondon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've known people who's done it, some succesfully others not much.
    The reality is that either using the traditional weigth loss methods or having surgery you HAVE to change your eating and fitness habits if you want to remain at a healthy weigth. Otherwise you'll lose everything.
    The benefit of the surgery though is time, is a lot more quicker when you ahve lots of weigth to lose.

Good luck!
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i still looking into it. but by the time, it comes around, i may have done it on my own
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that these are massively invasive surgeries, the latter of which involves major and permanent alterations to your vital organs. I would strongly suggest you try it the hard way first.
  • astrand1800
    astrand1800 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my opinion only. I don't judge people their choices.....
    I have watched a friend go thru the whole process over the last 2 yrs. She got a lap band and based on observation and talking with her I would not do it myself and here is why...

1. I could lose 30 lbs if i was on only a liquid diet for 10 weeks. (over a month of that is BEFORE the surgery) she was miserable.

2. She has had many side effects....horrible constipation, vomiting with no warning when trying to swallow a bite of food, hair is thinner, she does not look healthy

3. She has gained weight back...not all of it but some. It does not fix the problem of eating unhealthy things.

I will say also that she does not regret her decision to do it. I am happy she is happy with the outcome but I believe she could have achieved the same results without the surgery.
  • Justice2012
    Options
    Yes the classes are for maintaining weight loss, and also an evaluation, psych evaluation, etc etc etc. All these things to make sure you are qualified.

I understand that I need to change my eating habits and fitness habits......but like I said, losing 100 pounds is overwhelming. It is like I need a jump start of some sorts to get me moving in the right direction. The reason I am considering it is because like I said my insurance covers it...and I just pay a very small percentage of it...so in the end I will not lose a whole lot of money if I gain it all back.

I feel weak...you guys who are doing it the natural way are strong and brave. I know this is the easy way out.
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    I know a few people who have done it the younger you are the faster you heal but I heard you have to take a supplement for the rest of your life? The older people I know that did it took longer to heal and threw up allot! My young friend is really really happy but has some loose skin. It's all a personal choice and you only get one life to live, I would just ask yourself how many years have you spent over weight and do you want to take a supplement the rest of your life things like that. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.. Good luck..
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You are having success with what you are doing. Why try an invasive procedure to try to hurry things along? You are doing it. You didn't gain your weight overnight, you did it gradually over time. You need to examine what your motivation for losing weight is, are trying to get healthier, eat right, exercise? If so, continue doing that, it's working.

I have taken care of many people who have chosen the surgical route. For many, it's been a pretty good thing. For others, it was life ending.
    For the really unfortunate ones, it meant the rest of their lives suffering and in a great deal of pain. Many of them could only hope their suffering would end.

The Dr must legally go over the risks and benefits of a surgical procedure. There have been enough bad outcomes to generate statistics for each one. Are you willing to risk, (Even through no fault of your own or the medical team), becoming a poor outcome to speed your weight loss up by a few months?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Just...don't do it. If you really want to lose in that way, ask your doctor about a very low calorie diet plan instead. Surgery is dangerous, and the only thing any of those surgeries will do is reduce your stomach capacity and hunger. The actual cause of the weight loss is based on a very low calorie diet that's planned around the surgery. Either way, VLC diets aren't very healthy for you... it's best to lose weight slowly and make a sustainable lifestyle change.

I know it's frustrating to lose slowly. I am also 5'2", and currently at 260 pounds. My health is okay and only getting better as I lose weight. I did not NEED surgery or a very low calorie diet to lose these 30 pounds. I don't need it to lose the rest. It's important to remember there are a LOT more risks from surgery compared to slow weight loss from reasonable diet and exercise. Are all of those risks, including the risk of death, really worth the quicker weight loss?
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I guess it really depends on each individul persons situation. My personal opinion, is that it should be an absolute last resort. Weight loss is difficult, but the question is... why did we gain weight in the first place? Why did we get to the place we're in? Getting this surgery will help you lose weight, because you will hardly be able to eat. You can do that without the surgery though. The surgery just makes it easier for you to do that. If you're not careful you can stretch your stomach back out. The question is, will you be able to maintain good habbits? I know a few people who had the surgery, who successfully lost A LOT of weight in the first year, but after that began to gain it back, because they couldn't break their bad habbits. Weight loss surgery is an absolute last resort, for people who tried absolutely everything, and feel it's the only way. You're pretty young, and I don't think this is something you should turn to right now. Again though, this is just my personal opinion. I don't know what your life is like. We're all trying to lose weight but our situations can all be very unique and I won't pretend to understand what you're going through. In the end, you're going to make the choice you feel is best for you. Personally I would not consider this option, because it is invasive surgery and with all surgery there are always risks. The risks are minimal but still, even that one in 50,000 chance is scary to me. I've proven to myself that when I REALLY REALLY REALLYYY crack down I can lose the weight. The hardest part is motivation. If I were to get the surgery, that's not going to stop binges, that's not going to stop me from eating bad food, that's not going to make me eat healthy. Only I can do that. It's healthy to explore any and all options though, and it's good that you're asking around about it. I just hope this isn't something you feel you have to resort to just yet! You're only 30. Weight loss is extremely difficult but I believe you can do it without the surgery!!! :) Weight loss can be overwhelming, especially when you have a lot to lose, but if you just keep working at it, you will. It's not about how fast you lose, I know it's hard not to think that way, you want it to just be gone, but this surgery doesn't come without its down sides. Try to be patient with yourself, and just be persistent! Don't give up. Keep pushing through the tough spots and you'll find it gets easier!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Www.shapelysecrets.com is where I got all the info to start me in the right direction.

I didn't take any supplements, I didn't feel hungry, and it taught,e how to eat better.

(now, if I could just start back with it myself....)
  • Justice2012
    Options
    My weight gain was not because of emtional eating.

I have been on meds (anti-depressant and anti-anxiety) for a very long time...years. So that is what caused the major major weight gain the past few years. The meds will kill you if you do not try to do something about it. On one hand they help me with my mood, on the other hand they were killing me. Now I take newer meds which do not cause weight gain as much....but I still have 100 pounds on me that are extra from the old meds. It just sucks! I miss the old me that I used to be :(
  • Justice2012
    Options
    I guess I still feel that the weight gain is not my fault......I blame it on the medications. So that is why I feel the surgery is for me. My story is a little different. I was taking very strong meds for a while to balance me out.
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    when you think about it 100 pounds is not that much...you can safely lose that in 50-100 weeks=1 to 2 years...trust me losing 1 pound a week is very easy actually
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Surgery is a big step - there are risks with any major procedure. There would be nothing easy about it. And you still have to do the "natural" way after your surgery in order to keep it off.

I wouldn't look at it as having to lose 100 pounds. Set realistic mini goals that you can meet - one pound a week. In 52 weeks, you will have lost half of the 100 you would like, and your BMI would considerably better. And you won't need to lose the 52 pounds before you start to feel better and see results. Take that $500 and "pay" yourself $5 for every pound that you lose. You'll have some money for new clothes when you reach your goal!

Trust me, I've thought about it too. I'm too "weak" to do the surgery. :smile:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    First off stop making excuses for why you're heavy. Yes there are reasons. We all have reasons. Blaming something isn't going to change anything and negativity sucks. (this is from someone who has suffered years of depression too)

Second in four months I have lost 47 pounds. I used Jenny Craig. If you truly, truly feel you need a kick start look into something like that first. It's a kick start, makes it easy and you don't have to drastically alter your body. It's not the best option. (I'm aware of that) and ppl here will tell you it's crap but it's been a big help for me.

Yes you will lose weight on surgery but you won't be able to eat what you want, you'll be sick and there are chances you'll put it back on anyways. I truly believe the cons far outweighs the pros.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. That has made it very difficult for me as well. It's not my fault that I have this condition, it's so bad that my thyroid is barely functioning and eventually I may even have to get it taken out, which will make it that much easier to gain, and that much harder to lose. The thyroid controls the metabolism, so mine runs very slowly. But it still runs. And I can still lose the weight when I work really hard. As for anti depressants, they can cause weight gain for several reasons, but they do not make it impossible to maintain or lose weight. Just harder. Whether it's medication, or a health condition, just because it wasn't our fault doesn't mean we can't be in control. I've been on anti depressants as well, I was on anti depressants all through out high school, into college, and I kept gaining and gaining, but even when I was on the meds, if I ate REALLY well, REALLY watched my calories, and made sure I exercised atleast an hour a day, or even half an hour if I really didn't have the time, even then, I'd STILL lose weight, with both things working against me. Seeing as how I have this condition, I have to work a lot harder to lose the same amount of weight as someone without this condition, but it's not impossible. It just takes more time and effort. It may take longer but that's okay. It's not about how fast I lose it. As long as I lose. The same goes for medication. It's harder, it makes it A LOT harder, but not impossible. Maybe someone else in your situation will lose 3 lbs a week, where you will only lose 1 lb a week doing the same exercise and diet, but you'll still lose. As a few other people mentioned, the surgery has some risky side affects, some of which can be permanent. You are in control, you just have to fight a little harder than most. Weight loss surgery only makes you lose weight because you're practically starving yourself. That is the sole reason for the weight loss. If you're not an emotional eater and you feel you're totally in control of your diet as you suggest, then you can restrict your calories without the weight loss surgery. Right? Because that's the ONLY reason the surgery makes you lose weight. If diet isn't a problem for you, as you suggest, then why would the surgery, which only affects your diet, make a difference?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is there any physical reason that you can't lose this weight on your own other than "it's hard"?