Weight Loss Surgery--I CANNOT Believe I Am Posting This!

Options

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think you need to research this, and every other option in depth, and discuss it with your regular doctor. Not a doctor trying to sell you a procedure, but your regular doctor that is focused on keeping you well. I only know one person who's had this type of surgery, and she and her doctor both felt that it was medically the best option.

I disagree with the posters who say to reserve it for the absolute last resort. That's because chronic yo-yo dieting is worse for you and puts more strain on your body than being obese. So either the surgery is on the table or off. If you decide its not for you, there's no coming back to it later after you've lost 30 pounds, gained 30, lost 50, gained 40, lost again, gained again and so on. Your results will be much worse if you've already damaged your system before having a major procedure.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Plus I have 6 months of those classes which I can choose at the end that this is not for me.

Nice. You can start a new healthy lifestyle today and see how your mind and body change over the next 6 months. If you do this, I suspect that somewhere around week month 3 you will toss the surgery idea because you are succeeding on your own and feeling fantastic.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's so risky...too risky in my opinion. A dear friend of mine had the surgery and died. :cry:

Sorry to seem like an alarmist, but maybe doing it the old fashioned way best....
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    WLS requires a dramatic change in lifestyle. It is not a quick fix or an easy road for many people. It's also not an "easy way out" when it comes to weight loss or a cop-out, as some people think. It is still a struggle, but just in a different way. I came very close to having lap band surgery, but after completing the classes and losing the required pre-op weight, I chose not to have the surgery due to the myriad of long-term complications that so many people develop 3-5 years out.
  • Are the classes on how to maintain your future healthy weight?

I know several who gained Everything back afterward, that's why I ask.

My coworker had his for around 3 months ago - and he is already gaining his weight back... I think the classes about how to maintain the healthy weight is very importent :)
  • mikek7214
    mikek7214 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Exercise 5-6 days a week for the rest of your life, eat a clean healthy whole food meal plan, use MFP to monitor your overall calories, protein, carbs and fat intake, eat plenty of low fat protein sources--turkey, chicken, fish, nuts, beans, brown rice..eat complex carbs...minimize simple carb foods, don't eat after 7pm and zero alcohol...."live like most people aren't living today so that you can live like nobody else tomorrow. It's that simple. Emotions, psychological issues, laziness, no time are all road blocks to prevent you from becoming energized, a positive thinker, and healthy. Buy a workout DVD that caters to beginners, workout at home, use MFP religiously, go on health message boards to get a support group and I guarantee you that you will succeed. Surgery is not an option. It's the quick fix that may lead to unintended consequences that you will have to face for the rest of your life. Ok enuf said!
  • MissBettyBoop2
    MissBettyBoop2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OK, the band is not a good WLS. So people shouldn't even consider that. But the RouhNY and the gastric sleeve are very good procedures. And the gastric sleeve is getting more and more popular! Yes, there are some side effects to them. But most people do very well with them. In fact, they end up more healthy and keep that weight off. The FACTS are, most people will gain back most if not more weight back with diet and exercise. Only 5% keep that weight off. If you can do that...GREAT! But the fact is, most don't.

That is where WLS comes in. It's a fact that most people keep their weight off after losing it. In fact 80% keep it off. The other 20% don't. Those are pretty good odds, I'd say!

And other than taking vitamins the rest of your life, those are the only pills one normally "pops" afterwards.

In terms of not being able to eat afterwards? What rubbish! Once you're down to a normally weight, most people can eat just about anything they want. Within reason! Does that mean you can pile on your thanksgiving turkey, stuffing, gravy and all the fixin's at Thanksgiving? NO. But if one thinks in those terms, they'll never get and keep the weight off.

The facts are, in losing weight and keeping it off, it is a lifestyle change. Whether that is achieved through diet and exercise for life or diet and exercise and WLS, both folks are brave and I admire BOTH!

I'd also like to add, that WLS, is NOT the easy way! It still takes commitment and dedication to get the weight off and keep it off. However I know it makes some folks feel better to call it the easy way.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery done on Aug 4, 2011 and I wish I had done it sooner. It has been the best thing in the world for me. I had tried every diet, read every book, bought every machine and meal that was suppose to be the end all for weight loss. And there I stood, 380#. I did NOT have to do a 60 day liquid diet. 2 weeks before the surgery i had to do 2-3 protein shakes and 1 meal. Then 1 week before the surgery i did 4 protein shakes. Good God, it's only 1 week. I survived. And I have lost 50# since the surgery. I am well on my way. It's not the easy way out regardless of what other's say. Believe me, ice cream, milk shakes, cakes and cookies go down thru the band with no problems. You have to make good choices, you have to watch what you are eating, you have to work out. It's another tool like someone's gym membership or someone's diet pills. It will only take you as far as you are willing to go.

I had surgery on a Thursday and was back at work on Monday. I was in the gym within 2 weeks. I had more complications when I had my hernia surgery than this one. They wheeled my into the operating room at 9am and I was headed home at 1pm.

I would never tell anyone how to handle a decision like this, but I would also NEVER tell anyone that their decision was not a good one. Or that "people shouldn't even consider the band". In a 5 year study the lap band patients lose as much and maintain as well as the RnY patients. Lap band works if you work it.

Sorry, I'm a little passionate about this. I believe in it and I believe in myself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but unless you have some sort of medical necessity I don't think these should even be considered an option. For one our bodies have evolved into the amazing machines they are today and I don't think we should just f*** with them because we have no self control. This is a SURGERY. It's not like a "oh come in and see this doctor and now all of your problems are fixed." it's awful. You get nauseous from eating because it limits the amount of food you can consume and also the amount of nutrients your body absorbs.

"Still, all forms of weight-loss surgery, including gastric bypass, are major procedures that can pose serious risks and side effects. Also, you must make permanent healthy changes to your diet and get regular exercise to help ensure the long-term success of bariatric surgery."

Seriously? Or you could just change your life style. Sorry to say, but again, unless you have some sort of medical condition... You are in the shape/size you are in by your own efforts.

Put in the work. Get the results.

Edit, since you will have to change your eating habits anyway why dont you just do it?
  • bens_momma
    Options
    After having a C-section, the last time I will willingly put myself through surgery like that is if I get another baby out of it! :laugh:

I'm the kind of person who believes that you're better appreciate your efforts if you do it ALL ON YOUR OWN! Because at that point, the results are the results of your hard work, and your work alone. That, to me, is an amazing feeling.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Keep in mind that these are massively invasive surgeries, the latter of which involves major and permanent alterations to your vital organs. I would strongly suggest you try it the hard way first.

I agree. I have known several people who had WLS, and I would never knock someone's personal choice, but you still have to diet strictly afterwards and work pretty hard. If you don't, the weight will come back on.

For a brief and unhappy period I was employed as a private chef for a person who had undergone WLS (and his family). I remember everything we prepared had to be in very tiny portions -- about 3/4 - 1 cup, never a full meal. However, he had apparently failed to use the opportunity to learn about eating proper foods, and would just eat 1-cup portions of junk, and the weight kept coming back on slowly but steadily. It drove me nuts to observe that but not be in a position to give any suggestions about it.

I think if you are going to have to watch everything you eat, and diet and exercise afterwards anyways, you might consider trying to do that for a while before you get your insides permanently altered. Lots of luck though whatever you choose!! xx
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Are you even heavy enough?
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes the classes are for maintaining weight loss, and also an evaluation, psych evaluation, etc etc etc. All these things to make sure you are qualified.

I understand that I need to change my eating habits and fitness habits......but like I said, losing 100 pounds is overwhelming. It is like I need a jump start of some sorts to get me moving in the right direction. The reason I am considering it is because like I said my insurance covers it...and I just pay a very small percentage of it...so in the end I will not lose a whole lot of money if I gain it all back.

I feel weak...you guys who are doing it the natural way are strong and brave. I know this is the easy way out.

I have no knowledge about this procedure BUT I just had to say that I diagree with you - it is NOT the easy way out. Surgery is not easy, recovery is not easy.

When all is said and done, if you are successful at keeping the weight off,it will be because you learned to eat well and take care of yourself - with or without the surgery. If you don't learn that, you will gain it back in the long run. And if you DO choose to learn how and stick to it, you don't need the surgery! Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that you qualify for this. Based on your pics, I would think that you wouldn't. Well, it is all about your personal choice. Don't do this though if you are not willing to accept the potential effects of the surgery. You will HAVE to eat considerably less. You may have digestive issues. My cousin had it done and can only eat certain foods because of it. There may be other health concerns involved. You need to base your decision on information about what your life will be like after and not just on how affordable it is.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As people have said, it really depends on the person and your situation, but it IS possible to lose 100 pounds on your own. It took me years, but I did it, as have other people. What's better is that my body is fully intact, and I don't have all the side effects I might have had with surgery. If you're really interested, I'd say, talk to your doctor, go to the classes, talk to people who've had the surgeries. In the mean time, keep up with your fitness goals other ways and see how it goes.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I never considered WLS and had (at my highest weight) 140 pounds to lose. It's been hard work and it's taken time but with changing my lifestyle (tracking my food and regular exercise) it's coming off slowly and I feel amazing. Ultimately you have to make the decision that you're comfortable with, but I would urge you as you're going through the classes and evalutations, get your lifestyle in order now - use MFP as it was designed for, get your activity level up and no excuses. You'll probably start seeing the weight come off naturally, albeit slowly, and that might move your focus from WLS to other fitness goals.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    My co-worker did lap band several years ago, great success. She is still rocking and looking awesome. On the down side: My deceased son-in-law tried the gastric bypass several years ago. He did not tell drs. he had 'addiction' problems. Ended up totally hooked on oxycotin to the point of getting fake prescriptions. He lost weight the first year, but started back abusing his body and life. Gastric works for some, but hidden demons can be an undoing. Just make sure you are well informed and willing to do the hard work.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well I posted this on my wall, and have not received any feed back yet...so I thought I would try my luck here.

Alright....well I just found out that my new insurance plan DOES cover lapband and gastric bypass and the sleeve with very minimal cost to me. I looked it up and some people who have the same insurance I do, paid only $500 total. So I was sort of looking into it. There is a class that you take once a week for 24 weeks (so about 6 months)...anyway, I am sort of looking into it. Not seriously yet, but sort of just checking things out. Would anyone consider this option if they were having a super hard time losing weigh on their own? That is where I am at. It is just soooo hard to do it. Just looking for feed back.

I started one pound lighter than you and I've lost 97 pounds so far. Stick with eating healthier and exercising. There are so many complications with that surgery... One of my friends gets sick almost everytime she eats ANYTHING! A couple other friends who did the surgery gained everything back because you HAVE to eat right when you do it or else.

What you can do with eating healthy and exercising will make you feel better, like you didn't opt for an easy way out. You will feel proud for your accomplishments.

You didn't put this weight on over night and you sure aren't going to lose it over night... Try doing it the HEALTHIER way first please :) You can do this, please send me a friend request and I'd be more than happy to be your cheerleader. :flowerforyou:
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    My co-worker did lap band several years ago, great success. She is still rocking and looking awesome. On the down side: My deceased son-in-law tried the gastric bypass several years ago. He did not tell drs. he had 'addiction' problems. Ended up totally hooked on oxycotin to the point of getting fake prescriptions. He lost weight the first year, but started back abusing his body and life. Gastric works for some, but hidden demons can be an undoing. Just make sure you are well informed and willing to do the hard work.
  • rileamoyer
    Options