Weight Loss Surgery--I CANNOT Believe I Am Posting This!

Options

Replies

• Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    my opinion only. I don't judge people their choices.....
    I have watched a friend go thru the whole process over the last 2 yrs. She got a lap band and based on observation and talking with her I would not do it myself and here is why...

1. I could lose 30 lbs if i was on only a liquid diet for 10 weeks. (over a month of that is BEFORE the surgery) she was miserable.

2. She has had many side effects....horrible constipation, vomiting with no warning when trying to swallow a bite of food, hair is thinner, she does not look healthy

3. She has gained weight back...not all of it but some. It does not fix the problem of eating unhealthy things.

I will say also that she does not regret her decision to do it. I am happy she is happy with the outcome but I believe she could have achieved the same results without the surgery.

I have known several people who have done these surgeries and your #1 has been my thoughts exactly! ANYONE would lose weight on a liquid diet for a couple months. And some after that vitamins and pills sum up some of their "meals" because after they take 5 or 6 pills they are full!

On another note one of the people I knew who had GB ended up with permanent iron deficiencies and has to have IV iron therapy every couple months.

A few of the people I have seen gained at least half the weight they lost back.

Another person that I know almost died. He ended up in the hospital for about 3 months because of leaky this and thats and infections.

As with any major surgery the risks vs the results have to be weighed. For the severely obese, the ones who are close to 500 and over I think usually have more of a benefits outweigh the risks scenario going on. Those under that can if they have a dire medical condition that requires rapid weight loss to fix.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I feel weak...you guys who are doing it the natural way are strong and brave. I know this is the easy way out.

Don't feel weak!!! Heath improvement and especially weight loss is never easy. It is a very personal journey and you have to find the path that works best for you. I've had many friends who struggled for years with weight loss and found that surgery made the impossible, possible. However, it isn't an easy way out; it is extremely hard. It's major surgery followed by lifetime mind, body and behavior changes.

If you are curious, I would continue to attend the classes and learn all that you can. I'm sure it will become apparent if this is the correct path for you.
  • Malinda090494
    Options
    I have known quite a few people who have had surgery, some with the lapband and some with the gastric bypass. Only ONE lady had success without any problems. Others had success, but some with very bad consequences. Probably the most common 'side effects' is portion control. OK, if a person has the surgery and doesn't have portion control, then that explains a lot about why the person couldn't lose weight "the hard way". Personally, I dropped 75 pounds in 2 years, and for the last 2 1/2 years I have worked my *kitten* off to keep most of the weight off. I thought about surgery, but then started hearing the horror stories. At my highest, I was 308 pounds and I am about 5'6". Learning what I should eat and how much was the best thing I ever did ... I honestly think that the surgery is NOT the way to go. And I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide ... it's your choice!
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well I posted this on my wall, and have not received any feed back yet...so I thought I would try my luck here.

Alright....well I just found out that my new insurance plan DOES cover lapband and gastric bypass and the sleeve with very minimal cost to me. I looked it up and some people who have the same insurance I do, paid only $500 total. So I was sort of looking into it. There is a class that you take once a week for 24 weeks (so about 6 months)...anyway, I am sort of looking into it. Not seriously yet, but sort of just checking things out. Would anyone consider this option if they were having a super hard time losing weigh on their own? That is where I am at. It is just soooo hard to do it. Just looking for feed back.

Have you checked to be sure you weigh enough to qualify? Your picture doesn't look like your BMI is high enough but a face shot can be deceiving. Then the insurance company will want a certificate of medical need--a statement from your doctor that says your health is in serious jeopardy--and you will probably also have to undergo at least six months of a supervised weight loss program and still not be losing weight, in addition the the class you speak of. And believe me, after surgery will be WAY harder than just what you're doing now. You'll be on a VERY restricted diet and you'll be risking death if you don't follow it. Do you seriously need death as a motivator to lose weight? Because it won't be any easier to follow the diet, just have bigger consequences if you don't.

To answer your specific question, would I consider weight loss surgery? No. Not ever, no matter how hard it was for me to lose weight. It's much harder than dieting, and it changes how you live forever, with no exceptions for special occasions and no leniency if you slip up, even just a little, just once.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I haven't read all the pages, but why don't you save some money, go get some workout dvd's like p90x, chalean extreme, insanity, JM 30DS, learn what to eat and not go through an unnecessary surgery?
  • spookiewon
    Options
    I guess I still feel that the weight gain is not my fault......I blame it on the medications. So that is why I feel the surgery is for me. My story is a little different. I was taking very strong meds for a while to balance me out.

So what? That's irrelevant. You sound like you're saying that since you gained weight due to medication you should be spared the work that people who whose weight "Is their own fault" have to do. Problem is that even if it were strictly true, and it isn't, there is no free ride. The surgery is hell and has long term consequences for your health. Plus, if your belief is that surgery is for you because it's not your fault you gained weight, you WON'T pass the psych eval for the surgery. It's just NOT a good reason. It doesn't matter why you're overweight. Most of the people you probably believe are overweight through their own fault probably aren't. It wasn't their fault either. Weight loss surgery is a last ditch thing, and it's not the panacea you seem to believe.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are looking for a quick fix...so i don't know how useful wls will be for you LONG TERM.

i am on anti-depressants as well for depression and anxiety and i have lost 45lbs in the past 8 weeks just by healthy diet and minimal exercise. you have a choice to take responsibility for your gains...instead of finding excuses not to.
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You lost 13 pounds since Septmenber and you are having a hard time losing?!?!!?! Did you gain your wieght overnight? NO? Why do you expect to lose it overnight? How about woring hard at it so that you don't Yo-Yo and gain it all back. How about learning a healthier new lifestyle and eating habits instead of taking the easy out? You will feel alot better about yourself. Why put yourself through MAJOR surgery rather than working at it a little harder?

IMO DON'T DO IT
  • jocewar
    jocewar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind.

You know it's taken me a while to lose close to 120lbs, but I wouldn't trade the journey or the process for anything. During this time I've discovered how strong and capable I am, I've developed self confidence and have taken control of my life. I've leant alot about myself during this process and I love my healthy, fit, sexy life! I'm not going to credit any stupid surgery - I did this, ME! I am my greatest accomplishment!

Sure, you can have a medical procedure and completely alter the way you live your life for the rest of your days, or you can change your life yourself and gain so much pride and respect for yourself that way. So the pills made you put on weight, so what, you have the power to change your own life for the better.

Don't choose the knife. Do it slowly, live a health filled enjoyable life. I've done it, so can you.

Impressed!
  • jocewar
    jocewar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in awe of people who did lose this much on their own. I hope one day I can say that as well.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Although this sounds like such a great fix, you should look into the way it will change your life. I know that there are major restrictions on what you can eat afterward. I think if you could just make restrictions now, it would be better than being FORCED to do them later- for the rest of your life.

With that said, I can't choose for you, but I can give you my best piece of advice: get your thyroid checked by a very good endocrinologist. I had my thyroid checked MULTIPLE times, by different doctors. Each time, they all said I was fine. It wasn't until I went to an endocrinologist that we found out what was really wrong with me. Ever since then, with my doctor and this app- healthy diet and exercise, I have been able to lose weight and keep it off for the first time ever!

I wish you the best of luck...Feel free to message me if you'd like!
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My weight gain was not because of emtional eating.

I have been on meds (anti-depressant and anti-anxiety) for a very long time...years. So that is what caused the major major weight gain the past few years. The meds will kill you if you do not try to do something about it. On one hand they help me with my mood, on the other hand they were killing me. Now I take newer meds which do not cause weight gain as much....but I still have 100 pounds on me that are extra from the old meds. It just sucks! I miss the old me that I used to be :(

I'm on anti-depressants and I've lost weight....
  • Evanstl
    Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weight 233lbs, and have been on the emotional roller coaster of weight loss. I need to lose 103 lbs to reach my goal weight and be at a healthy BMI. I would not consider doing surgery to lose wieght, I would feel like I was "cheating" Think of how much more you could appreciate your new healthy life knowing that YOU, did it all on your own without surgery. It's a big decision, but in the end, you need to do whats best for you and your life style. Good luck with your decision.
  • mel2m22
    Options
    I had gastric by-pass almost 5 years ago, here's what I can tell you: it is NOT what a lot of people think it is--an easy way to lose weight. Most of the quick weight loss was in the beginning when I was on liquids. You still have to diet and follow the guidelines religiously and one common misperception is that you can't gain the weight back so you've got it made--not true, many people do regain the lost weight. You have to change your eating and exercising habits, while your stomach pouch is small it is still possible to overeat, especially if you drink fluids with your meals. Also if you have had several abdominal surgeries you need to be aware that your chances of a bowel obstruction after surgery are significantly higher than they tell you, I actually did develop a bowel obstruction and almost died 3 days after the surgery, but it was most likely due to the number of other abdominal surgeries and the amount of scar tissue I had. My friend also had the surgery and developed a bowel obstruction as well, I am not trying to scare you but you need to be aware that these things can and do occur. Make sure you check your surgeon out really well.. Another thing, hair loss is really common afterwards and can be dramatic, 5 years later I am still dealing with it falling out easier and breaking off. I did lose 78 pounds but I still have 40 to go which is my goal by the 5 year mark. Even though I did have problems, I am still not sorry I did it because I had gotten to the point where I couldn't walk very far and was always in pain and just couldn't get and keep the momentum going to lose the weight.
  • crudd12
    Options
    I take those meds too! I've been doing Weight Watchers for a year and half and have only lost 25 pounds! I weigh 205 and struggle to lose weight as the meds cause weight gain! I have been exercising and lowered my cholesterol from 204 to 180. Also I bought a size 16 jeans instead of a 20 and a 14/16 top instead of a 2x! I wouldn't do the surgery! It's not an overnight fix! If you don't change the way you eat and live (I mean exercising) you will gain all the weight back and more! I would also say you didn't gain this weight overnight so you won't lose it overnight! I have been trying so long to get to 193 just to be considered overweight instead of obese! I have to take these meds for life so I know I will battle this for life! I've had my thyroid checked and it is fine and the doctor is very happy with my weight loss! Good luck to you!
  • spookiewon
    Options
    One last thing to consider. Weight loss surgery works by resulting in you eating less. You are telling us your weight isn't because you eat too much, but because your medication makes you gain weight. If that is really the case then weight loss surgery won't help, will it? If you gain for reasons other than taking in more calories than you burn, then drastically cutting your calories with surgery won't solve the problem, because too many calories isn't the problem. The truth is that it's really a combination of things that make patients on antidepressants gain weight, and one of those things is that some antidepressants cause cravings, often for sweets, and you eat more calories. Some antidepressants also cause a slowing of metabolism that adds to the problem. And depression itself often causes eating disorders, from anorexia to overeating. Before you try something that might result in serious and LIFELONG medical complications or even death, you need to try getting help from a licensed dietician and an occupational therapist and see if you can work out a diet and exercise program you can live with and lose weight without the really serious risks weight loss surgery entails. Especially when you have only a bit over 100 pounds to lose and could actually be very healthy with a weight loss of half that. Did I see you've lost 13 pounds since September? So at that rate you could be down 50 pounds by summer, and a hundred by next christmas! Really, any faster than that really isn't healthy anyway. I think you really need to talk to your therapist ( and no one should be on antidepressants and not be seeing a therapist as well) about this feeling that you shouldn't have to work at weight loss because the weight gain wasn't your fault, because it's just not a healthy attitude. You say it's hard. Yes, it is. There comes a time in everybody's life when she has to do hard things. You can do this.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I weight 233lbs, and have been on the emotional roller coaster of weight loss. I need to lose 103 lbs to reach my goal weight and be at a healthy BMI. I would not consider doing surgery to lose wieght, I would feel like I was "cheating" Think of how much more you could appreciate your new healthy life knowing that YOU, did it all on your own without surgery. It's a big decision, but in the end, you need to do whats best for you and your life style. Good luck with your decision.

So...because you--and some others-- think it's "cheating", have never had the surgery, clearly have no concept of what you're talking about...your "educated" advice is for her to continue doing what has never worked for her?

BTW, how many people diet and fail doing it the "hard" way?

Please people...know of what you speak of before giving advice. If it isn't for you, great, if it is, great. But don't make ridiculous statements like "it's the easy way out", "it's cheating" etc. It's none of those things.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Well I also have 100 lbs to loose but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER considered doing it this way! I do not like to have surgery, Sam I am, I do not like them at all! My BMI is 36.7 but all my blood work is GREAT! I started MFP at 235 lbs and have lost 28 so far! I am holding my own right now thru December but come January I know I will be back on track and loosing weekly! Its not for everyone and its not for me. Just hope you consider ALL aspects of this surgery, all risk and such. I know someone that had this procedure done and she lost about 50 lbs and then no more! She has more to loose just not able too... So I am not sure what that is all about but again its jut not for me. Good luck with what ever you choose!
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    I know three people who have had the surgery. One looks fabulous and is living her dream life. The first 3 months she was sickly.

One passed away about two years later, she had a major headache that she did not attend to (blood clot?), I don't know if this was related to the surgery but she was only 37 with a small daughter.

The other person has not had a substantial weight loss.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    It may or may not be the right thing for you. Think about it and do LOTS of research and check out the Doctor and Hospital way ahead of time so that you are going in to it as well informed as possible. Know the Pros and Cons of it before you make a decision.
    :heart: And remember that it will be hard work to lose the weight and to keep it off whether you have the surgery or not. But "Hard" does NOT mean "Impossible".
    :flowerforyou: Good Luck with your Journey!!