How late is too late to eat?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member

If there truly was one 'trick' that everyone could do to lose weight, there wouldn't be an entire industry devoted to it, there wouldn't be so many products being sold, so many people overweight, etc.

I think there IS one trick - it is called eating less :)

That pretty much always works. There have been studies! :)

Pretty much always works - right? There are plenty on this site that will tell you they didn't lose weight until they actually started eating more.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member

I just didn't like it how everyone was implying that girl who originally posted it was ignorant, urban myth believer.

Well when someone comes out and says things like:
    I'm sorry, but all of these people telling you "it doesn't matter" are comepletly wrong.

when the body of evidence points the other way, they deserve to be portrayed as ignorant.
  • foxyxxx
    foxyxxx Posts: 15 Member

If there truly was one 'trick' that everyone could do to lose weight, there wouldn't be an entire industry devoted to it, there wouldn't be so many products being sold, so many people overweight, etc.

Pretty much always works - right? There are plenty on this site that will tell you they didn't lose weight until they actually started eating more.

Well yeah, but still less from what they were eating before, right?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    To all the people who are saying this myth was busted a long ago - here is an article from NATURE (you know, one of the most respected scientific journal out there) from 2009 written after an extensive research - http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v17/n11/full/oby2009264a.html

You are not a rat.

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot humans are a lot simpler creatures so for them it would only be calories in and calories out.

Simpler? No.

Different? Absolutely.

Humans and rodents have vastly different metabolic processes, especially when it comes to lipogenesis. Although rodent studies can be useful for pointing toward areas that warrant further investigation, you cannot directly apply results of rat studies to humans.

if i' not mistake DNL happens at about a 10x greater rate in rats then humans
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    It doesn't matter if you eat late. I almost always eat right before bed and have had no problems at all.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Calories in, calories out. It does not matter WHEN. There's a lot of articles out there to support this.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    You don't burn less calories while sleeping. You burn more when you're doing active but if you're sitting still it's the same, sleep or awake. The Internets support my claim.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member

Well yeah, but still less from what they were eating before, right?

No, more than what they had typically been eating. Generally, this seems to be people that don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, but it does happen.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member

I mean that kindly. I'm not trying to insult you... but I've TAUGHT physiology classes in the past and I'll tell you honestly, I've propagated a few myths before. Never on purpose, but because I didn't know better at the time. Professors don't know everything. They just pretend to know everything.

this exactly. I''ve taught college level classes, and currently work in a job where i write and constantly review other peoples scientific papers. Just because something is in a paper or textbook, doesnt necasarrily mean its correct. In many cases what happens is that someone reads a paper, interprets something from it in a certain way and then references that in their paper. ...this then goes on for several more papers, referencing the second one and then next thing you know its regarded as fact and showing up in text books.

My thesis advisor always told me to question everything - just because someone has a higher authority than you and a higher degree, doesnt mean they are right.

but back to the question at hand....i dont think it matters when you eat, as long as you're not going way over calories. Last night I ate at around 9:45 because, like you, I wanted to work out first. Some peopel might not be able to fall asleep right away, but as long as you're not eating a double bacon cheeseburger I dont see it being a problem

^^^Haha...this made me giggle....I'm also/currently a college instructor....and I know EVERYTHING! LMAO...Not really, but I have to pretend to or I lose my student's confidence in my ability. And like the previous referenced post...not on purpose...just because idea's and research changes so quickly before it filters down to the classroom level.

Source: ME....pscyhology and math college professor ;)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    To all the people who are saying this myth was busted a long ago - here is an article from NATURE (you know, one of the most respected scientific journal out there) from 2009 written after an extensive research - http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v17/n11/full/oby2009264a.html

If everything was so simple - calorie in and calorie out, we wouldn't have these people who can eat 'anything' and not gain any weight. Also you wouldn't have a problem with all of a sudden putting on weight after you reach certain age.

People with hormonal imbalance wouldn't be putting on weight easier and faster than other people.
    You have to realize there are actually many factors that come into play.

When you sleep your metabolism (as well as ALL other bodily functions, like heartbeat) slow down, your temperature drops and the body goes into a somewhat standby mode.

All that said, it is impossible for us to get the real full picture so I would say it is best to do it the old school way, that is just by listening to your body and manage that calorie intake in general.

First, no it is not as simple as calorie in, calorie out, but your example of weight gain after a certain age is related to hormonal changes which is a long-term effect, whereas, sleeping only has a short-term effect.

Secondly, if there is one major thing that I have learned in my strive for a healthier body, it is that I CAN eat whatever I want and not gain weight. Not only that, but I can eat whatever I want and LOSE weight. It is about moderation, and it is the individuals that practice it that fit that mold. The skinny chicks who can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound probably ate something really healthy earlier in the day to offset it.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Well Ron,

although humourous, your reply really wasn't helpful. I'm well aware that the eat when you want brigade is making the loudesyt noise. However the information that I passed on came from health professionals who I expect to know what they are on about, backed up by internet research. Think that makes it a bit more credible than prattling on about elves. Obviously the body performs differently in a conscious and uncounscious state, brain activity change heart slows as does metabolism. I am not an expert, but It's a bit naive to think that the body functions exactly the same in a waking and sleeping state. I 'm happy to stand corrected by any coherent researched answers from reliable sources. I am not prepared to back down just cos somebody makes a loud noise.
    If you eat two hours before bed, most people will spend the rest of that time sitting and watching TV. Does that really burn a lot more calories than sleeping? I'll give you a few. But significantly?

that would depend on water intake, and amount of trips to the potty
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    After all this hard work I'm doing trying to teach my body that there's plenty of food to be had, but lots of exercise to be had as well, I'm not about to teach it that the supply gets cut off at 8pm, or any other hour.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    If everything was so simple - calorie in and calorie out, we wouldn't have these people who can eat 'anything' and not gain any weight. Also you wouldn't have a problem with all of a sudden putting on weight after you reach certain age.

Both these situations merely alter the "calories out" side of the equation.

People who can "eat anything" tend to have a high metabolism and/or activity level (including NEAT). As we age, we don't "suddenly" put on weight, but our metabolism and activity levels tend to decrease. if we don't decrease our intake, then we gain fat.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.
    Can you back this up? This sounds wrong to me.

We just learned about this in my Physio class. I'll find the chapter in my textbook and quote it for you

Hell I could find a chapter in one of my books that says opposite. A text book isn't "the bible".

In basic terms...no, it does not matter the time you eat. I personally do think you need to be wise of your choices if you're eating late right before bed to avoid upset stomach, heart burn, or just pissing everything off...but as far as weight loss is concerned, if you are under your calories, the time of day does not matter.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    12:00 am because at that time it is a whole new day!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.

If I don't eat within an hour of sleeping, I wake up hungry and that disturbs my sleeping patterns. And I have no trouble getting to sleep even if I eat 15-30 minutes before going to bed. I do not doubt that this is true for some people, but like most dietary rules, your milage may vary.
  • If you don't get ENOUGH rest, you can experience physiological stress. Apparently the body biochemically holds onto fat more efficiently because of it.

That's the ONLY truth. All other scenarios are debatable.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member

Sorry, but it's only one study and it's "...the first to show causal evidence that feeding at the "wrong" time can lead to weight gain...". First studies are just that, and science works by challenging and replicating studies ... without replication you have a single interesting data point, nothing more. There have been other studies that have looked at circadian rhythms and weight gain ... but bear in mind that correlation isn't causation, and other factors may be involved in the correlation between late eating and weight gain. Example: if you studied alcohol dependency, you'd find a high correlation between cigarette smoking and alcohol dependency. That doesn't mean cigarette smoking causes alcohol dependency or vice-versa, it simply means there's a correlation. And that's all the study in question shows ... a possible correlation that may indicate a real relationship but the real factor may be behavioral: for example, it may be that those who tend to eat during the late hours are psychologically disposed for some reason to make other food choices that sabotage their healthy eating plans. See e.g., "The night-eating syndrome; a pattern of food intake among certain obese patients", Stunkard, Grace, and Wolff.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member

Sorry, but it's only one study and it's "...the first to show causal evidence that feeding at the "wrong" time can lead to weight gain...". First studies are just that, and science works by challenging and replicating studies ... without replication you have a single interesting data point, nothing more. There have been other studies that have looked at circadian rhythms and weight gain ... but bear in mind that correlation isn't causation, and other factors may be involved in the correlation between late eating and weight gain. Example: if you studied alcohol dependency, you'd find a high correlation between cigarette smoking and alcohol dependency. That doesn't mean cigarette smoking causes alcohol dependency or vice-versa, it simply means there's a correlation. And that's all the study in question shows ... a possible correlation that may indicate a real relationship but the real factor may be behavioral: for example, it may be that those who tend to eat during the late hours are psychologically disposed for some reason to make other food choices that sabotage their healthy eating plans. See e.g., "The night-eating syndrome; a pattern of food intake among certain obese patients", Stunkard, Grace, and Wolff.

I had attended a "overeaters" type counseling session and that was pretty much the topic of the day. No its not bad that you eat late, it is the choices that are made. Late night snackers or eaters are generally (making a generalization) prone to making bad decisions because they are looking for a quick fix to satiate that hunger. Those are the types that convince themselves too drive to a 24 hour taco shop or burger joint at 2 am because they are hungry or binge on a box of cookies or ice cream before bed. It would be a bad decision regardless of the time of day. In the group I was in, it seemed to be the main reaction that in fact yes, late night eaters were making poor diet decisions rather than healthy ones.

It is interesting too note though
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    It's too late to eat.... when you're dead!

Any other time is fine (if it fits your goals).
This discussion has been closed.