loss, loose,lose

Options
13»

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    wow...pretentious much? lol typos happen to everyone hun!

Second above. And some people have spelling issues. To them this kind of post would be very upsetting.

Consistently spelling "lose" as "loose" isn't a typo though. If it's a mistake they repeat it's beause they can't spell the word. Also I don't consider people with "spelling issues" a protected class that I have to take special precautions not to offend.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Second above. And some people have spelling issues. To them this kind of post would be very upsetting.

Consistently spelling "lose" as "loose" isn't a typo though. If it's a mistake they repeat it's beause they can't spell the word. Also I don't consider people with "spelling issues" a protected class that I have to take special precautions not to offend.

I make a living as a writer and editor. There are some words *I* can't spell to save my life.

This is a message board on the Internet. As long as I don't need a decoding book to figure out what someone's trying to say, the only reason to call someone out over spelling issues is to make yourself feel superior. It's rude and nasty and not necessary.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I have Asperger's.
    Your terrible grammar, lack of capitals, starting a sentence with the word 'And', along with your brilliant misuse of the word 'your' whilst correcting others, causes me mental anguish.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I have Asperger's.
    Your terrible grammar, lack of capitals, starting a sentence with the word 'And', along with your brilliant misuse of the word 'your' whilst correcting others, causes me mental anguish.

:laugh:
  • VinVenture
    Options
    I have Asperger's.

I don't have Asperger's, and English is my second language, but I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Also, I'm bumping this thread because I believe in educating the masses, seeing as how giving up never solved anything.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    I make a living as a writer and editor. There are some words *I* can't spell to save my life.

This is a message board on the Internet. As long as I don't need a decoding book to figure out what someone's trying to say, the only reason to call someone out over spelling issues is to make yourself feel superior. It's rude and nasty and not necessary.

So correcting grammar is rude and not necessary. What about someone eating poorly? Should people on the site having trouble losing weight because they continue to eat poorly be told "Good job!" anyway? What if someone has spinach in their teeth? Should we just ignore it as it would be rude to say something?

I'm not directing this specifically at you, more of a general question. Isn't correcting someone a good thing? How else do we learn?

And for the record I of course make spelling and grammar mistakes plenty. Double letters always seem to trip me up...
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    is dis going 2 be on da test? :)
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    In modern English using and at the start of a sentance is accepted:

Is it acceptable to begin a sentence with the word and or but?

The answer is yes. It is perfectly acceptable to start sentences with the conjunctions and and but. However, it is slightly informal. If formality is your goal, choose more formal language. (http://www.businesswritingblog.com)

Also I put 'and' at the start of a sentance just to see how petty people on this page are :bigsmile:

As to my mention of being acepting that some people dont do this just to piss silly people off its is because like me some people cant help it (I'm dyslexic). I take pride in my writing skills but sometimes it goes very wrong when I am tired and can easily put in two 'O'. I am lucky and can touch type so this wont happen much
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have Asperger's.
    I'm sorry for your anguish. I hope you can feel better about it all soon. And i wasn't trying to use the word your, clearly that was a typo. I was saying you. And i already admitted i make the same mistakes that i am pointing out. As i said before i'm not picky about much, just speeellliinnngg. So, ya, the other stuff doesn't bother me but i appreciate your point of view and helping me to fix what i did wrong.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    Farmerclan, i have the same problem with that word. I think at a point in time in elementary school they taught it that way and then changed it on us:)
  • ummommyme
    Options

That's all i'm saying. I prefer to be corrected on my mistakes so i may fix them. If someone is upset i am truly sorry but that is something they have to work out in themselves. It's not my intention to make anyone feel bad just point out an easy fix. Typos happen to all of us.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    In modern English using and at the start of a sentance is accepted:

Is it acceptable to begin a sentence with the word and or but?

The answer is yes. It is perfectly acceptable to start sentences with the conjunctions and and but. However, it is slightly informal. If formality is your goal, choose more formal language. (http://www.businesswritingblog.com)

Also I put 'and' at the start of a sentance just to see how petty people on this page are :bigsmile:

As to my mention of being acepting that some people dont do this just to piss silly people off its is because like me some people cant help it (I'm dyslexic). I take pride in my writing skills but sometimes it goes very wrong when I am tired and can easily put in two 'O'. I am lucky and can touch type so this wont happen much

Of course I know that if this were an issue stemming from dyslexia it wouldn't be appropriate to bring it up. Likewise if English is not the native language of the person posting it's nothing to raise an eyebrow over.

But this isn't a mistake I ever see when I'm reading something written by dyslexic people I know, and you can tell that the people making the mistake are English speakers. It's just a word that is commonly misspelled. If you correct someone they can start using it the right way. No harm done.

I understand about speaking informally on the internet. I do it. I use "ain't" and "gonna" and all kinds of words that'd make an English teacher cry. And that's on top of the mistakes I'm making on my own. But when they're pointed out to me I never get angry. How am I going to learn it's wrong if someone doesn't tell me?

Because if you don't learn someday that simple spelling mistake can come back to really hurt you. Sure we can choose to overlook it here. But type out "I really would hate to loose this opportunity" on a resume cover letter and your job prospects are going in the shredder.

And all of this is merely my humble opinion.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Of course I know that if this were an issue stemming from dyslexia it wouldn't be appropriate to bring it up. Likewise if English is not the native language of the person posting it's nothing to raise an eyebrow over.

But this isn't a mistake I ever see when I'm reading something written by dyslexic people I know, and you can tell that the people making the mistake are English speakers. It's just a word that is commonly misspelled. If you correct someone they can start using it the right way. No harm done.

I understand about speaking informally on the internet. I do it. I use "ain't" and "gonna" and all kinds of words that'd make an English teacher cry. And that's on top of the mistakes I'm making on my own. But when they're pointed out to me I never get angry. How am I going to learn it's wrong if someone doesn't tell me?

Because if you don't learn someday that simple spelling mistake can come back to really hurt you. Sure we can choose to overlook it here. But type out "I really would hate to loose this opportunity" on a resume cover letter and your job prospects are going in the shredder.

And all of this is merely my humble opinion.

Appricate your response... Afraid this is one of my hates pet on here that people pick at errors in peoples typing... I like you and your friends would not make this sort of error or its a typo. But I know there are alot of people out there that will and sometimes for them to write down in a forum how they are feeling and looking for help is a major issue and reading posts like this one will stop them reaching for our support. You also need to understand that there are many levels of being dyslexic and other learning difficulties.

Yes this is an informal site and therefore we should not belittle people who make mistakes. I personaly like it when my friends point out my errors and trust me I do some really good ones (which are now ongoing jokes).... But it has to be said in the right way when you do not know the person as it can come across wrong.

I think a job application would be different as this is something I would get checked for me... Also in England when you declare you are Dyslexic they take account of your application details like exam passes and experiance not the slight errors in your form :happy:

I think on some of this we will have to disagree but was a good discussion :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

So correcting grammar is rude and not necessary. What about someone eating poorly? Should people on the site having trouble losing weight because they continue to eat poorly be told "Good job!" anyway? What if someone has spinach in their teeth? Should we just ignore it as it would be rude to say something?

I'm not directing this specifically at you, more of a general question. Isn't correcting someone a good thing? How else do we learn?

And for the record I of course make spelling and grammar mistakes plenty. Double letters always seem to trip me up...

If this site were about learning to be better writers and spellers as well as slimmer and healthier, your analogy might make sense.

If someone is here trying to loose weight and having trouble and you notice something about what they're eating and have a suggestion that might help them then, no, that is not rude and nasty. But calling someone out, on a website that is NOT ABOUT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR, on his or her spelling and grammar is.

The only reason to do it is to make yourself look smarter to everyone else. It's not about teaching others. It's about making yourself look good.

Some of the most intelligent people I know can't spell to save their lives. Would I be doing those people a favor by publicly shaming them? Unless there is a grade or money or a life at stake, then why do it?
  • ummommyme
    Options
    I did not call anyone out on anything. I merely pointed out a common mistake and an easy fix. If someone is torn to pieces because they have trouble spelling some words then that is something they have to work on for themselves. I did not pick a post or any posts for that matter and tell them they were wrong. I am a common joke in my family and friends for the things i say and do wrong all the time. I am not mad about it or upset. I appreciate being shown something i've done wrong so i can fix it. My husband swears i am dyslexic. I cannot speak right to save my life and even stutter from time to time. My children have to constantly finish my sentences because i literally cannot. I don't like writing because i can hardly even read my own writing because it's sloppy and i mess up a lot. Typing takes a while because i hit the back button more than the regular buttons. So if someone doesn't want to know how to spell these words correctly then so be it. This is a public domain and if someone is having an issue with what i say they do not have to agree or even read it. But when you assume why i write what i write and you have no idea who i am or what my own issues are then you make an *kitten* out of yourself. We all have our pet peeves and i have a right just like you to express mine. I did not and would not call anyone stupid or dumb or worthless or anything bad at all. I don't understand how anyone decided this was about picking on people when I haven't picked on anyone. So i'm done now. I'm not pissed but i will not be told who i am or what i am trying to achieve by someone who has never even met me and decided that i'm not up to their standards of people by one thread i post about spelling. If you are a bad speller than i am sorry but my goodness there are real people out there with real problems that have nothing to do with being bad spellers.
  • kadoodle76
    Options
    That drives me nuts, but I don't say anything. LOL

And THAT is how it's done. Amen. Just be nice and get over it y'all. sheesh.

You can say that again. Oh wait....

OMG...sorry about the multiple postings lol I don't know why it did that! :tongue:
  • SweetToothMelissa
    SweetToothMelissa Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I wish this didn't bother me as much as it does, but every damn time I see it, my BP spikes just a tad. It drives me INSANE!!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Class is dismissed.