Diet Pepsi

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Is diet pepsi bad for you? Ive been hearing yes and no

Your thoughts?
    I drink it twice a day. Gives me my caffeine kick. The only bad thing about diet soda is the ranting you here from people who say it's bad for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    double post
  • ninerbuff
    Options

my wife was diagnosed with cancer this summer...we went to a lot of info sessions on nutrition, foods etc, relating to cancer, cancer recovery etc.

I can tell you that their research was not positive on diet soda. especially one per day.

having said that - awesome job on the weight loss! 50 lbs is great.

:flowerforyou:
    Sorry about your wife, but can they define that it was diet soda that caused it? If not, then it's speculation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If it is at all possible, I would avoid it. It is not the best for the human body- as other processed things aren't.
    However, I know sometimes something carbonated is needed, I suggest drinking seltzer water- it's bubbly, has no sodium, and has no calories.
    I cannot have anything with "fake sugar" in it because it causes me to have pain. That worries me, and keeps me off of the stuff.

Best of luck to you!
  • Jholt47
    Options
    I drink a couple diet drinks a day and it has not affected my weight-loss
  • jlchow
    jlchow Posts: 40
    Options
    It's better than regular soda. No reproducible evidence that aspartamine causes disease. That said there is still acid in the soda that will wear away your enamel.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's better than regular soda. No reproducible evidence that aspartamine causes disease. That said there is still acid in the soda that will wear away your enamel.

I would definitely argue with you on this one. Isn't sugar natural?

I'm not talking about Coke or Pepsi. But the "natural" soda's like Blue Sky. all natural ingredients, no corn syrup etc.
  • sjcsviola85
    Options
    as far as dieting goes diet drinks are fine as there are no cals or fat ....the worst thing for teeth though.... have you ever left a penny/coin in a glass of coke over night? ...
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I'm not talking about Coke or Pepsi. But the "natural" soda's like Blue Sky. all natural ingredients, no corn syrup etc.

Hemlock is natural too. "Natural" by itself does not equal "better".
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs in 6 months while drinking, on average, a bottle of diet soda a day. I am also perfectly healthy at the moment. So I'm going with No. Diet soda is not bad for you.

Out of curiosity, do you mean a bottle as in a 20oz bottle, or a 2 liter ?

20 oz. Lol..... I'd float away if I drank a 2 liter a day!
  • drog2323
    Options

in my world..natural is better. yah, am I going to eat poison in nature...umm no.

but food comes from the ground or animal etc, i would tend to think it is better for us. Not sure processed crap food was necessarily intended for man-kind.

but hey...this is just my opinion. and we all know what opinions are like! LOL
  • gregs887
    Options
    Is it good for you? No. Will it kill you to enjoy one once in a while? No.

Enjoy in moderation and you will be fine.
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options

in my world..natural is better. yah, am I going to eat poison in nature...umm no.

but food comes from the ground or animal etc, i would tend to think it is better for us. Not sure processed crap food was necessarily intended for man-kind.

Fair enough :)

Just a case in point though, every time you take an aspirin, you're taking a safer chemically derived version of the "natural" compound found in the willow bark concoction known to produce some unpleasant side effects.

Anyway to the subject at hand, I'm a subscriber to the "ok in moderation" tenet when it comes to diet sodas.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I drink Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi.

Here's my thinking... I know it's worse for me than some other choices I could make, however, I will allow myself to have a vice or two, I'm only human. So if having a glass of pop every day or two is the vice I choose, then that's how it is. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I eat fast food maybe once every 3-4 months.

So dammit if i want pop, i'm having a glass! :)
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    it has carbonation and caffeine. not great for acid reflux.

other than that, there are certainly worse vices out there.
  • drog2323
    Options

Fair enough :)

Just a case in point though, every time you take an aspirin, you're taking a safer chemically derived version of the "natural" compound found in the willow bark concoction known to produce some unpleasant side effects.

Anyway to the subject at hand, I'm a subscriber to the "ok in moderation" tenet when it comes to diet sodas.

completely agree on all your points.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am trying to give it up. The acidity is not good for my digestive system. I've come to this conclusion after a conversation with my doctor about some recent issues I've been having. She is trying to steer me away from acidic food and drink. I will probably have some when I go out to eat, but I'm trying to not have 3 a day like I was doing before. I'm shooting for more like once or twice a week.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    DP (we're on a first name basis) is a gift from the gods. Pure ambrosia. I cracked one tonight, swilled then had to kiss it. I LUVLUVLUV diet pepsi. I would hurt you for a diet pepsi. Pure adoration.... MORE MORE MORE
  • fitnhappymom
    Options
    Everything is Ok in moderation... I think if you aren't gorging yourself with Diet Soda you are fine! However.... the caffeine and the time of day you drink it... can effect your sleep.... which is ESSENTIAL in your exercise and nutritional needs! :) Hope that helps!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I mean all soda drinks aren't ideal for weightloss, they have high frutose corn syrup in them. I would definitely stay away from diet drinks because they make you hungrier. Ever drunk a diet drink on an empty stomach? it iritiates your stomach lining (thats why it makes you want to eat more). If you want to drink soda I would go with a non diet soda, that has low calories. Like coke zero or that Dr pepper 10. But it would be ideal to stay away from it.

Stop making things up.