lifting weights is working!! for real.

Options
So a funny thread on this topic continues without derailment. However several serious and informative threads have been derailed by a certain person and deleted. This makes me sad. But as the funny thread wasn't derailed so maybe we can have a serious thread. Repost those pictures and serious questions. Share your success. Ladies, fear not the squat rack! The Olympic barbell is your friend and is the key to a hot body! And let's not feed any trolls who might arrive.

Me? Weight lifting is awesome for me. U eat more and STILL get hungry the next day. My tummy is flat and waist and thighs are shrinking. I always had bigger calves by proportion and was afraid I might get even more bulky with weight training. I'm stunned but even they are smaller and more womanly.my legs are smaller but they are firm. Like another lifting lady I fimd that I keep touching various body parts. They're so awesome. Its a nice switch to like my body. I love lifting weights!

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I am just beginning my weight-training journey, jetscreamin. After 25+ years as a cardio-gym-rat, I began "body-for-life" training 2.5 weeks ago.

I now have to STEP AWAY from the scale, and work through the tape measure, instead.

On the "good news" front, I am lifting HEAVIER everyday. And, my work-outs have been reduced by many minutes in the gym, itself.

My immediate goal is a trip to Hawaii Feb. 29/12 - and I want to have a sculpted body by then!
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    kill it, ladies!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I did body for life. I think its great! Definitely take measurements, but you lose scale pounds too. I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women now. There are similarities and things I like better about one or the other, but BFL is a great way to start!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly trying to work my way into this with a resistance band and 15 lb weights. I can't do it for very long yet, but at least it's a start.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    This makes me wonder how accurate the strength training calorie estimates are here. I wish it was more accurate.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Strong women look fantastic.
    Screenshot2011-12-01at80937AM.png
    http://games2010.crossfit.com/static/images/rorym_Games2010_LaurenPlumey.jpg

Beginning month four of strength training. I could hardly lift that olympic bar over my head that first day. Currently deadlifting more than my body weight and shoulder pressing half of it. One of my goals for 2012: deadlift 150% of my body weight, that's 225lbs. Funny thing is I've actually gained a little weight since I started (see profile photo) but I sure have gotten smaller :)

Favorite lifts include - thrusters, push press and snatch. Yours?
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    I'm slowly trying to work my way into this with a resistance band and 15 lb weights. I can't do it for very long yet, but at least it's a start.

This confuses me. What do you mean very long? . These plans have anywhere from two to four sets with less than 12 reps for each exercise. It isn't about time doing it. My NROLW work outs are around a half hour. BFL is 20 for intervals and 30 to 40 min for weights.

I don't know how the estimates I use and a large man uses could be accurate for both. I just eat a bit more and do it reasonably.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    thecross,

Can you tell me how LONG it took you to see "results". And, by "see", I mean with the naked eye.

I am not overweight - never have been. And, I've often combined cardio with gazillion-rep low-number weights.

So, now my husband has convinced me that I actually CAN have a pretty cut body if I focus on weight-training, and give up (most of my) cardio. Even at my age!
  • jmvane15
    Options
    Way to go ladies.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jetscreamin - my BFL work-outs are 30 minutes, tops, including a (brief) warm-up on weight-training days. My husband cut out (for me) some of the "double-up" exercises. For now, anyway...I'm sure he'll add them back in later on.

but, like I said, I'm not even 3 weeks into this training program!

Still, I would like SOME results by xmas and a DECENT, decent, decent showing by Feb. Then, I'll re-evaluate so that, hopefully for summer, I can look like thecross!!!!!!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I won't lie....I'm nervous about the number on the weight-scale going UP because of weight-training. But, if I step away from the scale, then I won't even know what it says....
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jetscream - I'd like you to start a GROUP for us. Makes it SO much easier to post if it is one of my "groups"!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    http://www.google.com/search?q=crossfit+ladies&hl=en&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BwvYTrjwHO3ViAK4tfygCg&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=833

Mind you that these ladies are probably the elite but it can show you what high levels of lifting will result in
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am starting a women on weights class at my Y Monday and I can't wait. I will take measurements before, during and after.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For some reason she-who-shall-not-be-named doesn't mess up my bulking posts.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/404367

These are my results after "bulking for 1.5 months":
    DSC01722-1.jpg

This is my squat progress:
    squat.jpg

Inspirational women:

Jamie Keoppe
    bodybuilder-jaime.jpg
    234786.jpg

Jamie Eason
    l_c23a977294f74ca2954b4d55fb716391.jpg
    At a little lower body fat percentage here:
    jamie-eason1.jpg?w=276&h=300

Jessica Biel
    Jessica%20Biel%2012.jpg
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    thecross,

Can you tell me how LONG it took you to see "results". And, by "see", I mean with the naked eye.

I am not overweight - never have been. And, I've often combined cardio with gazillion-rep low-number weights.

So, now my husband has convinced me that I actually CAN have a pretty cut body if I focus on weight-training, and give up (most of my) cardio. Even at my age!

To clarify that photo in the thread isn't me! That's a women who competed in the crossfit games. Something like this is my aim; in looks and strength! I just wanted to post it as an example.

If you look at my profile photo you can see me the first day I started crossfit (August), then one month in (September) and then three months in (October). Diet (as in what I eat, not limiting food) has a HUGE role to play in getting where I want. I can get as strong as I want to, but to look like that, you also have to have a low amount of fat covering the muscle so it's visible. I've really been cleaning up my eating. ( needfitness.com put up a great post today that talks about eating lifestyle and other useful things).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    jetscream - I'd like you to start a GROUP for us. Makes it SO much easier to post if it is one of my "groups"!

There's already a few groups. There's bodybuilding, and I think women strength training.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

This confuses me. What do you mean very long? . These plans have anywhere from two to four sets with less than 12 reps for each exercise. It isn't about time doing it. My NROLW work outs are around a half hour. BFL is 20 for intervals and 30 to 40 min for weights.

I don't know how the estimates I use and a large man uses could be accurate for both. I just eat a bit more and do it reasonably.

Heh. Right now I mean a few minutes at a time, then I do some stretches, then try again. I wish I could sustain 30-40 minutes! More like 3 or 4!
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    There's a weight lifting group and a new rules for women group already. Totally search for the group you want and join. I'm in the new rules one. I put this in the main forum because it is easier for new folks to see and several good threads had been deleted.

On results I started BFL in July and was 167 by a month in I was in smaller pants. I started running more cuz I liked itbut kept the weights and lost a total of 17 pounds in 3months. Since then I've wanted to maintain and stopped running due to injury. Started NROLW a couple weeks ago and have started losing again. The sizes kept going down all that time though. July was size 12 really 14 . This week, I'm between size six and eight.