lifting weights is working!! for real.

Replies

• I <3 lifting for sure!

And rachel you look awesome. Needed to be said again! :D
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Jessica Biel
    Jessica%20Biel%2012.jpg

Jessica Biel is my body ideal and the the look I aspire to personally. I wonder how accurate these articles are:

http://voices.yahoo.com/jessica-biels-personal-workout-toning-whole-304161.html
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Get-Bod-Jessica-Biel-117770

It doesn't sound like she does any heavy lifting, but she still looks great. Maybe she's just genetically lucky! Or are 10-20 pound dumbells considered 'heavy'?
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    jetscream - I'd like you to start a GROUP for us. Makes it SO much easier to post if it is one of my "groups"!

Love.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    This makes me wish I had a gym nearby. I have handweights, but they're expensive and the 10 pounders aren't doing it for me anymore :(
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    I'm slowly trying to work my way into this with a resistance band and 15 lb weights. I can't do it for very long yet, but at least it's a start.

This confuses me. What do you mean very long? . These plans have anywhere from two to four sets with less than 12 reps for each exercise. It isn't about time doing it. My NROLW work outs are around a half hour. BFL is 20 for intervals and 30 to 40 min for weights.

I don't know how the estimates I use and a large man uses could be accurate for both. I just eat a bit more and do it reasonably.

I lift a weight 12 times and put it down and rest 60 seconds. It's not about endurance. There's no dvd.

Heh. Right now I mean a few minutes at a time, then I do some stretches, then try again. I wish I could sustain 30-40 minutes! More like 3 or 4!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I'm starting New Rules shortly. I'm excited, and I cannot wait! I love lifting heavy things!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    That butt can't be made by dieting! wow

234786.jpg
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I'm slowly trying to work my way into this with a resistance band and 15 lb weights. I can't do it for very long yet, but at least it's a start.

This confuses me. What do you mean very long? . These plans have anywhere from two to four sets with less than 12 reps for each exercise. It isn't about time doing it. My NROLW work outs are around a half hour. BFL is 20 for intervals and 30 to 40 min for weights.

I don't know how the estimates I use and a large man uses could be accurate for both. I just eat a bit more and do it reasonably.

I lift a weight 12 times and put it down and rest 60 seconds. It's not about endurance. There's no dvd.

Heh. Right now I mean a few minutes at a time, then I do some stretches, then try again. I wish I could sustain 30-40 minutes! More like 3 or 4!

Oh, thanks, I feel better then! Or anyway, I feel like a little less of a wimp. :laugh:
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    thecross,

Can you tell me how LONG it took you to see "results". And, by "see", I mean with the naked eye.

I am not overweight - never have been. And, I've often combined cardio with gazillion-rep low-number weights.

So, now my husband has convinced me that I actually CAN have a pretty cut body if I focus on weight-training, and give up (most of my) cardio. Even at my age!

To clarify that photo in the thread isn't me! That's a women who competed in the crossfit games. Something like this is my aim; in looks and strength! I just wanted to post it as an example.

If you look at my profile photo you can see me the first day I started crossfit (August), then one month in (September) and then three months in (October). Diet (as in what I eat, not limiting food) has a HUGE role to play in getting where I want. I can get as strong as I want to, but to look like that, you also have to have a low amount of fat covering the muscle so it's visible. I've really been cleaning up my eating. ( needfitness.com put up a great post today that talks about eating lifestyle and other useful things).

PS - I forgot to mention, but I'm going to crossfit 5 days a week. I also didn't gain MUCH weight, and in generally it takes women especially a long time to build muscle (different from just getting stronger). I've HEARD that its just if women are brand new to weight training then they can INITIALLY gain a bit of muscle a bit faster in the very beginning).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I have been lifting for the last 3 months, the difference it did to my body is wonderfull
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    That butt can't be made by dieting! wow

234786.jpg

That is just the best comment I've read today :)
  • Beastette
    Strong women look fantastic.
    Screenshot2011-12-01at80937AM.png
    http://games2010.crossfit.com/static/images/rorym_Games2010_LaurenPlumey.jpg

Beginning month four of strength training. I could hardly lift that olympic bar over my head that first day. Currently deadlifting more than my body weight and shoulder pressing half of it. One of my goals for 2012: deadlift 150% of my body weight, that's 225lbs. Funny thing is I've actually gained a little weight since I started (see profile photo) but I sure have gotten smaller :)

Favorite lifts include - thrusters, push press and snatch. Yours?

Single leg deadlifts, military press w/ squats (combined), and bench press. Fly on incline bench, and 21's are great, probably the hardest lifts for me.

I really love the fact I can do pull ups and chin ups. I really want to do a one-armed push up someday.

I love the feeling of competence I get when I feel stronger. That "yeah, I can do that" feeling.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    If you discuss heavy lifting, she will come...
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    This makes me wish I had a gym nearby. I have handweights, but they're expensive and the 10 pounders aren't doing it for me anymore :(

Check Craigslist and the classifieds. My husband and I got our weight bench with bar, dumbells, and plates for $75. We've gotten additional plates at Goodwill for $0.50 each (5# & 10# that our set was woefully low on). The whole thing is in a corner of the living room (plates in a crate).
  • Beastette

Only if you spin widdershins and say "bulky" thrice.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    as my strength has come back, I've found that I could pull off one armed pushups. I can't do alot of them but I was surpised I could one. I don't train to do these at all. But I do alot of pushups on my off lifting days. And try pushups with one hand on ball. Really make them tough. I can do 40-50 normal pushups but get gassed after doing only 10-12 of the one hand ball types. Or try putting both hands on a board that's about 3-4" high so your pushup goes deeper. Might help you one armed pushups
  • Beastette
    as my strength has come back, I've found that I could pull off one armed pushups. I can't do alot of them but I was surpised I could one. I don't train to do these at all. But I do alot of pushups on my off lifting days. And try pushups with one hand on ball. Really make them tough. I can do 40-50 normal pushups but get gassed after doing only 10-12 of the one hand ball types. Or try putting both hands on a board that's about 3-4" high so your pushup goes deeper. Might help you one armed pushups

Thank you so much. Fantastic info.

ETA: You've just earned the everlasting hatred of my workout partners, btw. :happy:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Only if you spin widdershins and say "bulky" thrice.
    Someone mention body fat percentages.

Ah jeez. Now we've done it!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Have any of you tried :

www.myomytv.com
    www.bodyrock.tv

pretty much these are doing the same result plus eating healthy is important so you will see some progress on the scale as well:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371

Each week I have at least 1 lbs loss and slowly building muscle as well by doing these routines .
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    I won't lie....I'm nervous about the number on the weight-scale going UP because of weight-training. But, if I step away from the scale, then I won't even know what it says....

This is what an 160lbs woman who can deadlift 340 and squat 235looks like:

Screenshot2011-12-01at60216PM.png
    http://games2009.crossfit.com/regionals/lauren-pryor-canadian-crusher.html

To be fair, she is 5' 9" - but still!