lifting weights is working!! for real.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    ^ She's my height and weighs 8lbs MORE than me. Awesome.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    I saw a girl today at the gym. If I'd been a little bolder, I'd have asked to take her picture for this thread. She had the most sculpted butt, quads, and calfs I'd ever seen on a real person (as opposed to pictures... yes... I know the pictures are of real people). She was doing squats. And she was tiny. Not bulky at all... just really chiseled. And gorgeous. I kinda stared. I hope she didn't notice.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    This makes me wish I had a gym nearby. I have handweights, but they're expensive and the 10 pounders aren't doing it for me anymore :(

FWIW, I went a long time with PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells. They go from 5 up to 90 (or up to 50, depending which version you get). Also kind of expensive, but cheaper than buying every possible sized dumbbell. Also very space-saving.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    If you discuss heavy lifting, she will come...
    Only if you spin widdershins and say "bulky" thrice.
    Someone mention body fat percentages.

Ah jeez. Now we've done it!

Can I suggest, if she comes, don't reply to her. She has a lot of on ignore anyway. Maybe even report her post.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    If you discuss heavy lifting, she will come...
    Only if you spin widdershins and say "bulky" thrice.
    Someone mention body fat percentages.

Ah jeez. Now we've done it!

Can I suggest, if she comes, don't reply to her. She has a lot of on ignore anyway.

It's a wonder she sees any posts at all.

Back on topic:

Here's some good stuff from Matt Perryman

http://www.myosynthesis.com/articles/ladies-guide-physique-training-part-1
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    This makes me wish I had a gym nearby. I have handweights, but they're expensive and the 10 pounders aren't doing it for me anymore :(

Check Craigslist and the classifieds. My husband and I got our weight bench with bar, dumbells, and plates for $75. We've gotten additional plates at Goodwill for $0.50 each (5# & 10# that our set was woefully low on). The whole thing is in a corner of the living room (plates in a crate).

Thank you! I definitely will.
  • Rae6503
    This was posted in a post she hijacked and it deserves to be reposted.
    There's something to be said, though, for wanting muscle not just for appearances but for functionality.

Exactly.

Look at the Nia Shanks pic that has been posted in this thread. Here is a lady with a 300+ lb deadlift yet she doesn't look bulky in the slightest although she lifts "heavy". Now why is that? Why doesn't she look like the bodybuilder in the OP? Here's a clue. It's nothing to do with eating at a calorie deficit.

The weight training a body builder undertakes is different to that of a strength athlete and so they end up with different bodies usually unless they are specifically training for both. A strength athlete prefers to trigger myofibrillar hypertrophy (the enlargement of muscle fibres) whereas a bodybuilder prefers to triggering sacroplasmic hypertrophy (increase in sacroplasm, being non contractile muscle fluid.)

Now there is some crossover between the two. Generally however if you train for strength predominantly you will not look "big or bulky". Whilst the size of your muscles does not increase that much to the naked eye given the increase in myofibrils it causes you to be stronger and has a distinct functional benefit in the real world. Many things in real life become much easier (carrying your kids around, or shopping, putting heavy items on shelves and so on.)

If a woman wants to look like a bodybuilder she will not get there by accident. Bodybuilders train very specifically at higher rep ranges (10 to 15 reps per set if not more) with a high degree of volume (they are in the gym all the time doing numerous sets, hitting muscle groups from every conceivable angles and devoting a lot of time to training) with high degrees of muscle fatigue. They will be eating at a calorie surplus. In all honesty they will probably be juicing.

So what does this mean in plain English for the average lady on MFP who is eating at a calorie deficit and is advised to lift heavy for 2 - 3 limited sessions a week? There is no way in God's Green Earth you will end up looking bulky or like a bodybuilder. Forget it. It will NOT happen.

They will however preserve their existing muscle mass (or if they are lucky increase it slightly) which will then be exposed as their body fat lowers. They will look smaller (as fat occupies more space per lb than muscle) sleek and "toned" (presuming however that they have any reasonable existing muscle mass to begin with.)

Perhaps most importantly they will gain functional, real world strength and to me this is the biggest prize of all. Substance over style every time.

If you are a lady and haven't considered strength training then consider doing so. There are just too many advantages to it to leave it for another day. Don't let us boys hold all the chips ;)
  • Rae6503
    This is Nia Shanks, she holds the national deadlift record. Deadlift of 300lbs at 122lbs of body weight. She also bench presses 145lbs.

1243864474_1841.jpg
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Thank you Ron and Rae. This is why I started this thread. I realize now that they weren't all hijacked but some good ones were. Thanks for reposting that informative post and the pictures. Good stuff
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    This was posted in a post she hijacked and it deserves to be reposted.
    There's something to be said, though, for wanting muscle not just for appearances but for functionality.

Exactly.

Look at the Nia Shanks pic that has been posted in this thread. Here is a lady with a 300+ lb deadlift yet she doesn't look bulky in the slightest although she lifts "heavy". Now why is that? Why doesn't she look like the bodybuilder in the OP? Here's a clue. It's nothing to do with eating at a calorie deficit.

The weight training a body builder undertakes is different to that of a strength athlete and so they end up with different bodies usually unless they are specifically training for both. A strength athlete prefers to trigger myofibrillar hypertrophy (the enlargement of muscle fibres) whereas a bodybuilder prefers to triggering sacroplasmic hypertrophy (increase in sacroplasm, being non contractile muscle fluid.)

Now there is some crossover between the two. Generally however if you train for strength predominantly you will not look "big or bulky". Whilst the size of your muscles does not increase that much to the naked eye given the increase in myofibrils it causes you to be stronger and has a distinct functional benefit in the real world. Many things in real life become much easier (carrying your kids around, or shopping, putting heavy items on shelves and so on.)

If a woman wants to look like a bodybuilder she will not get there by accident. Bodybuilders train very specifically at higher rep ranges (10 to 15 reps per set if not more) with a high degree of volume (they are in the gym all the time doing numerous sets, hitting muscle groups from every conceivable angles and devoting a lot of time to training) with high degrees of muscle fatigue. They will be eating at a calorie surplus. In all honesty they will probably be juicing.

So what does this mean in plain English for the average lady on MFP who is eating at a calorie deficit and is advised to lift heavy for 2 - 3 limited sessions a week? There is no way in God's Green Earth you will end up looking bulky or like a bodybuilder. Forget it. It will NOT happen.

They will however preserve their existing muscle mass (or if they are lucky increase it slightly) which will then be exposed as their body fat lowers. They will look smaller (as fat occupies more space per lb than muscle) sleek and "toned" (presuming however that they have any reasonable existing muscle mass to begin with.)

Perhaps most importantly they will gain functional, real world strength and to me this is the biggest prize of all. Substance over style every time.

If you are a lady and haven't considered strength training then consider doing so. There are just too many advantages to it to leave it for another day. Don't let us boys hold all the chips ;)

I mostly agree. but I was watching the cross fit challenge on espn last night and those dudes were pretty big considering the goal wasn't muscle mass but performance.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=crossfit+men+pic&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5QDZTozZLcqPiALjp7SLCg&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=833#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=crossfit+men+pic&oq=crossfit+men+pic&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=25509l27676l2l28306l16l8l1l0l0l4l351l1806l2-6.1l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d1377e2d4e3c3a91&biw=1280&bih=833

I couldn't get pics of that show up.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    jetscream - I'd like you to start a GROUP for us. Makes it SO much easier to post if it is one of my "groups"!

There's already a few groups. There's bodybuilding, and I think women strength training.
    Your back is killer amazing! I want your back! great job!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Found the espn cross fit challange 2011. A ad for it anyway.

http://games.crossfit.com/features/videos/coming-espn2

Anyone catch the WOMEN doing a muscle up?!?!?! I need to learn how to do that. the guys were doing sets of 7-8? I wonder if it's any easier using the rings?
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member

I love the gym, won't lie BUT

Number 8: "You Don't Need a Gym to Build Muscle" http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/12/01/11-things/

How to stay in shape while traveling (applies to no gym) http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/25/how-to-stay-in-shape-while-traveling/

Want to get in shape, but have no gym membership?: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Yay!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    This is encouraging to read...because I know this is the next step for me. I've done all of the cardio I care to do for now (though I will still do it, it just won't be my focus).

I know I'm getting NROLFW for Christmas, but until then, I'll be following this plan:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

I start Monday. I can wait to have a lean, chiseled body! That...and I need to get back the butt I lost!!!

Cheers to lifting!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Adding my results to the thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/404861-more-of-those-scary-scary-girl-muscles

As far as how to soon before I started noticing results... about two months. :smile:

myback.jpg
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member

I love the gym, won't lie BUT

Number 8: "You Don't Need a Gym to Build Muscle" http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/12/01/11-things/

How to stay in shape while traveling (applies to no gym) http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/25/how-to-stay-in-shape-while-traveling/

Want to get in shape, but have no gym membership?: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Yay!
    Yeah, there is really a lot that can be done with bodyweight. I'm going to join a gym in January, but for the time being (and when I am out of town nearly all of December), I am doing a basic full-body strength workout 3x/week consisting of:

pushups (elevate feet when they get too easy)
    reverse pull-ups (I use my TRX but you can use a broom between two chairs, working on progressing to pullups)
    bulgarian split squats (I use a ~15lb sandbag, you can also work on pistol squats)
    single-leg deadlift w/sandbag

I'm finding the lower body is a bit harder to work without heavy weights, but there is still a LOT of room for me to grow with just pushups and pullups and their variations, which can be done without a gym or heavy weights. I suspect this is the case for most women and a lot of men just starting out
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    As far as how to soon before I started noticing results... about two months. :smile:
    myback.jpg
    That's a huge difference...you look great!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Keep on pushing/pulling gals! LOVE it.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,099 Member
    scapez, excellent! What weight-lifting are you doing??

I start week 4 of training-for-life today.